• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

Birdman,

Grip Bag. I carry 3 in the top putter pocket, and 2 more in the front zip pocket. Works great!

Yeah, but where does one find a Grip bag? I was on there website and everything is sold out. I got an email into them and just waiting for a reply. Any ideas where to track one done? Hoping to find a Special Edition one if possible. :confused:

Yeah, but where does one find a Grip bag? I was on there website and everything is sold out. I got an email into them and just waiting for a reply. Any ideas where to track one done? Hoping to find a Special Edition one if possible. :confused:

If your not set on a se bag discstalker in GA carries grips. They could ship to you no problem.

I initially tried emailing them too -- no reply. I then followed them on facebook and they do periodically post when bags are available, but they don't really reply to posts there either. How I ended up getting my SE grip was by checking the web site every day or every other day. It took about a month to get the color I wanted. Wish they communicated better because if it's this hard to get someone to tell when a bag is available, just wait until something goes wrong. But so far, so good. Good luck. It is a nice bag.

So how are people liking the shift? What is the storage space (non-disc) like? Big enough for a light jacket?

I'm reviving this thread, because I'd never seen the thread in the first place to chime in!

Did anyone ever end up getting one of these? It definitely looks a little overpriced, but most DG bags are. I'd love to hear a review of either the Focus or (in particular) the Shift.

I got them both...

Shift is growing on me and people who see it out look at it positively and ask about it. A lot smaller then a grip but still enough handy storage to get you by. I dont like the internal pockets that much, I like structure and they fell random and loose.

The focus is great without the bladder, weird with it and near useless, just having it out with 6 discs is pretty cool.

I got them both...

Shift is growing on me and people who see it out look at it positively and ask about it. A lot smaller then a grip but still enough handy storage to get you by. I dont like the internal pockets that much, I like structure and they fell random and loose.

The focus is great without the bladder, weird with it and near useless, just having it out with 6 discs is pretty cool.

May just get the shift when i dont want to take my contender out for casual rounds

I just received the Shift this weekend and played my first round with it yesterday.

1) I agree that the internal pouches on the inside are virtually useless. Also, I am not sure where to stick the cover while playing. Do I roll it up and stuff inside?

2) The first time using it the discs were rather snug in their sleeves, but I bet with more usuage they will hold in there just fine.

3) The side pouches in the waist strap are just barely big enough to hold a wallet, phone, or keys. So, it works best if you put stuff in there that you will not need to have out during the round.

4) The back pouch where it is advertised that you can hold your drink, it can only hold skinny drinks. The Gatoraides I normally carry are too big for that pouch and I would be forced to carry them inside in the main compartment. Not a big deal, but anything that becomes stuffed inside could interfere with retrieving discs from the bottom-most pouch.

5) There is a lot of cushion against your back, but it is not in the least bit uncomfortable.

6) Having the pockets on the outside to carry your four most used discs outweighs any negatives associated with getting at discs on the inside. Right now on the outside I have an Ion, Tangent, TeeBird, and Leopard.

As whole, though, it looks rather well constructed it and it is very light (I was not carrying any liquid refreshments with me at the time). Because it only carries 12 discs, I still will not use it for important tournament rounds, but worked well and was not cumbersome for a normal rec or league round. It is essentially replacing my Crunch bag, which also held 12 discs.

The Crunch was more convenient as I could get at discs quicker and or could just pick up the bag and go. Yet as a way to carry your discs and other items, the Shift has the advantage because it is a backpack, that it sits more cleanly against your back, and therefore is less cumbersome. If I am carrying my bag and I need to duck, move quickly, or carry something else, having it strap firmly against you means a lower probability of discs falling out, the bag shifting on you, or just becoming too much of a burden to one side of your body.

I am liking my Shift so far.

The guys at Upper Park had assured me there was both a tweaked second run of Shifts and a new, bigger backpack in the works. No timeline though. I liked my Shift, but a couple of things kept it from being a keeper. The biggest being it's ability to stand. Loaded with discs and other stuff, it's not terribly structurally sound. It kind of caves into itself. I also would have liked to see elastic used on the vertical pockets instead of the piping.

Smark, I just tucked the front flap into the drink holder and put my drinks into the main compartment. When you do that, it also creates a pocket using the back of the front flap pocket. My mini fit right in there.

I didn't keep my Shift, but I still actively follow Upper Park because I liked what I saw and I expect good things out of their future offerings.

Smark, I just tucked the front flap into the drink holder and put my drinks into the main compartment. When you do that, it also creates a pocket using the back of the front flap pocket. My mini fit right in there.

Nice. The pocket had me baffled for a few minutes. It is a pouch that is accessible from a zipper on the outer side of the bag. But the pouch itself is attached on the sides and not the bottom, thus creating an open-end pouch when the whole flap is upside down. I guess that is what you are referring to.

I do have to agree that it does not sit flat on the ground, instead wanting to tip over. I suppose if you carry something heavier in the main compartment that their weight will help keep the whole bag upright.

The main selling point for me was the price, but the second selling point is that it could just as easily be a camping backpack for me. It looks tough enough to handle several Cub Scout adventures with my sons. I will need to carry clipboards, scouting manuals, and what not that the sleeves and pockets will be perfect for.

I got my wife a focus. The single strap bag was giving her back issues but she didn't really need something as big as my grip. She loves it. I may steal it for minimal disc rounds my self.

8686272021_2b5b76f946.jpg

8687380022_f5a7bf493c.jpg

8686257829_4f5ed6467c.jpg

8686243429_dbc3598225.jpg

How many discs do you have in there? DO you have an issue on the course with the bag standing up on its own?

It fits 12 discs, 8 internally and 4 externally. The bag does not like standing up if you just plop it down. But it is light enough where it does not automatically tip over either.

It is light enough and fits well enough where you can make 10 foot putts without having to take it off.

It is not as convenient getting discs in and out as the Crunch bag it replaced, slowing you down a little bit because you cannot pull discs out or put them away while you are wearing it. Yet, once it is on, it is comfortable enough where you really do not feel it and because everything is snug in the bag, nothing will shift on you when you move, sit, or bend over.

I also like how I can keep my bag on whilst I trounce through the forest depths looking for lost plastics and can pop out where ever my disc went instead of returning to where I put my bag down.

Thanks for the information. I think I am going to wait until they release a bag that hold about 20 discs or they get the design for this one correct, so it stands better.

It fits 12 discs, 8 internally and 4 externally.

They say on the website that it holds up to 15 discs, and I think this includes using the two inside pockets to hold discs, but that's only 14.

How many do you think you can cram into the bag while still allowing them to come out easily?
Could you put discs where you have your drinks and have it hold even more, albeit unorganized, but still somewhat accessible?
How many could you cram into the bag if you didn't care about how easy they are to take out?

I'm on the fence with this bag and the Big Hyzer Ergo. I like the style of this one better, and I honestly don't need to carry more than 15 discs. But you know how it is, you can't leave any discs at home because you'll end up in that perfect situation to try out that one disc sitting on the shelf (and then when you do have it and use it, you wish you had just used your Buzzz instead).

I just The Shift in the mail today. I'm taking it out for 27 holes on a monster course tomorrow. I'll post a good review this weekend.

They say on the website that it holds up to 15 discs, and I think this includes using the two inside pockets to hold discs, but that's only 14.

How many do you think you can cram into the bag while still allowing them to come out easily?
Could you put discs where you have your drinks and have it hold even more, albeit unorganized, but still somewhat accessible?
How many could you cram into the bag if you didn't care about how easy they are to take out?

I'm on the fence with this bag and the Big Hyzer Ergo. I like the style of this one better, and I honestly don't need to carry more than 15 discs. But you know how it is, you can't leave any discs at home because you'll end up in that perfect situation to try out that one disc sitting on the shelf (and then when you do have it and use it, you wish you had just used your Buzzz instead).

If I put anything on the inside side pockets, it makes it difficult to pull out discs from the bottom sleeve. I am going to give it a try, though, to see how (in)convenient it can be because I need to carry 13 discs. I have one disc in one side pocket, but the other is empty. While packing up today I accidentally stuffed three discs into the top two sleeves and it did not seem to cause any problems, so I can see where they are saying that you can pack 15 in. You are not going to be able to stuff more than two in in the bottom sleeve.

If there is anything I want to say from my rounds of playing with it as my bag is that it is not for the casual rounds. When I am playing and what to move quickly or if I am unloading the bag on a hole, the Crunch was far more convenient. However, when I am playing more serious rounds, that is where this bag shines. With more time between shots because of more players and whatnot, the fit of this bag against your back along with its light weight makes you more mobile and less fatigued.

I was thinking of the convenience of the other bag and pretty much came to the conclusion that that bag is basically useless. They advertise it as so comfortable that you could wear it while driving. Why would you do that? You would have to take the bag off just to get the disc you want to throw. Why would you put it back on before you throw? You could ask someone to pull out the disc you want for you. However, I also conceded that if you have a partner who also has the same bag, you could carry his/her bag and he/she could carry yours. You would act as each other's caddies. You would never have to take off the bag this way.

As for it being hydration pack, I actually think that is a great idea.

Latest posts