• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

8696534837_099282a283.jpg

Side by side comparison of what the Shift can carry versus my Carolina. At the end of the day, it carries the core of the Carolina so I am only out of the ability to carry back-ups and rarely used utility discs.

this bag is ok, but the price needs to be severely lowered for anyone to even think about buying it.
cost wise, it does not take a lot to make, obviously.

I would like to see a video review of these two. I don't carry the 20 discs needed to fill other bags nor do I want to spend that kind of money. What I really want is a functioning smaller bag... But looks like it may take a while for designers and companies to get that right :-/ definitely good ideas here I think

Can you fit a sweatshirt in the Shift along with at least 12 discs? How much storage is there?

Can you fit a sweatshirt in the Shift along with at least 12 discs? How much storage is there?

Storage is decent if you are not playing. However, once you are out on the course and need to get to the 8 discs on the inside, you really do not want much in there. The bottom pouch will be difficult to get at if you put anything in there. I generally put my two least used discs in that pouch. However, when you are playing with only 12 discs, even those two least used discs are still going to see some action.

The inside has two side pockets that are big enough to carry a disc each, but again they start cramming the bottom pouch. Anything that protrudes from those pockets, like minis or anything you would not put in the "fanny pak" pouches are definitely going to be an annoyance.

However to all this, if you use the four outside pockets to carry your most used discs, say a putter, a mid, and two drivers, and then you put your next two most used discs in the top pouch on the inside, it really is not that big of a deal.

I found during rec rounds, the bag is borderline cumbersome. You are constantly reaching in and out, making sure discs do not snag on the pouches or anything on the inside. When I want to move quickly during a rec round, I am better off playing with my Crunch.

Yet when playing with larger groups, leagues, or tournaments, then the bag becomes incredibly useful. Since it fits perfect on your back, weighs next to nothing, and very snuggly holds the discs without warping them, it is very easy to move about, sit down, etc without having to shift (no pun intended) your bag around. Only when I know it is going to be slow round and that I need to carry a ton of things will I definitely consider using my Carolina bag, as long as I remember to bring my stool. The last tournament I played in, I lugged around my big bag, deciding to leave the Shift at home, because I was going to bring my stool and umbrella. However, I forgot to bring my stool and often found myself sitting on stumps and on the ground. I wish I had brought my Shift after all.

Lastly, I am not knocking the GoCart or any such contraption, but when I saw a player dump his drive deep into the thick woods with even thicker underbrush, I could only watch him as he struggled to lug his GoCart through such a mess. It must have been a pain in the ass to lift it, but he did not know what kind of shot he was going to face, and he did not want to run back out to get the disc he needed. I could not help but think that if I was in that position, the Shift would have been perfect as I would have been able to weave up and down and whatnot as I crawled through the forest and it would be like I was not even carrying my discs with me.

I decided to make the plunge and buy one of the Upper Park Shift bags. It should be coming in tomorrow. If anyone has any questions or wants to see any specific pictures, let me know and I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

Got my Shift. I was able to cram 19 discs in, all fairly easy to pull out and use. As usual, YMWV with the number of drivers, mids, and putters. I put three discs in some of the back slots, and instead of using the two inner side pockets for discs, I put 4 discs in the bottom. And you can put two drivers in each of the outside pockets.

Here's what I put in. I don't actually carry all these high speed drivers with me, just wanted to see what the max capacity was.

Nuke
Surge
Nuke SS
Flick
Wraith
Boss
Lace
Mamba
Sidewinder
Valkyrie
TeeBird
Ascent
Ascent
Ibex
Glide
Buzzz
Mako
Sole
Sole

Got my Shift. I was able to cram 19 discs in, all fairly easy to pull out and use. As usual, YMWV with the number of drivers, mids, and putters. I put three discs in some of the back slots, and instead of using the two inner side pockets for discs, I put 4 discs in the bottom. And you can put two drivers in each of the outside pockets.

Here's what I put in. I don't actually carry all these high speed drivers with me, just wanted to see what the max capacity was.

Nuke
Surge
Nuke SS
Flick
Wraith
Boss
Lace
Mamba
Sidewinder
Valkyrie
TeeBird
Ascent
Ascent
Ibex
Glide
Buzzz
Mako
Sole
Sole

I would love a video review of seeing all those discs in there as well as just your set up.

Just saying because there were so many other factors that went into how I played, but I played a better round with the Shift at last weekend's tournament than I did with two rounds with my Carolina.

Quite honestly, I have two utilities discs in my Carolina that are only in there because I have room but I almost never throw. In both those cases they are only in the bag for certain holes, holes that I would know I am playing in advance. If I felt I really needed them, it would take less than a minute to rearrange my Shift to include them in that bag.

At the end of the day, especially during this multi-rounds in one day tournament, I definitely need my Carolina because of the storage room. But for leagues or single round tournaments, the Shift is definitely perfect because in most average rounds I only throw five to six discs anyway. Twelve is mroe than enough.

The only knocks I truly hold against this bag are:

1) It could be the tinites bit bigger. The internal side pockets are virtually useless if you use the two discs in the bottom sleeve with any regularity.

2) I would like the flap created by the main zipper to fold upwards and be able to be tucked in at the top instead of folding down. You either have to let it flop free, stuff it into the mesh drink holder in the outside center, or roll it up and stuff it into the only real open space on the inside.

3) A convenient pocket or slit designed for a pencil. There are many places you can put a pencil sercurely, but there is no dedicated pouch or whatnot for it.

4) Structure the bottom in such a way that when placed on the ground it sits upright. That would make it easier to grip the top handle and pick it up without breaking stride.

If they could find a way to keep the weight and comfortableness of the bag as is but increase it to 16 discs, I would be all over that. Right now I only feel comfortable with 12. I have heard people stuffing in more, but even at the recommended 12 I saw some warpage out of a soft putter than I put on the inside. Right now I keep my softer, bulkier plastic like my Pa4 and M3 on the outside, reserving the inside for harder plastic like Champions, Stars, and Zs.

I would love to make a video of me playing while using my bag, and while I do video most of my leagues and some tournaments, the weather has just been downright consistently too nasty to break out the camera.

Giving this bag a second try. I have a few DIY easy ideas to hopefully make this bag a little more feature-driven for us players.

Latest posts