• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

I'm considering going to that.

I have seen a Rebel, at Ditto actually. I don't think I've ever actually seen a Shift in the wild. Either way, my mind is pretty well made on the Shift. I will probably be placing an order very soon.

Haha yeah I think there's 4-5 locals that have Rebels. I'm using a cart currently, but Upper Park bags are top notch for sure.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I really enjoy my Shift for quick rounds and traveling.

Picked up a Rebel in February. I've been severely impressed so far.

The internal structure of the bag is such that once you have both straps on, you can barely feel it, even full of discs and with two drinks, just very sturdy.

I currently have 12 discs in the verticals, and 10 discs down below, with room for other stuff (snacks, etc.) If I ever have enough discs to fill it, I'm expecting to get upwards of 26 in it.

Almost never tips over, either.

Hey guys! We've been working on some new products and I wanted to take a second and show you one of our latest prototypes (only a few people have actually seen this bag so far). What do you think? 8-10 discs, big water bottle pocket, room for a sweatshirt.. we're calling it The Draw.

9mVeteS.jpg

Very interesting. Personally, I'd still prefer the Focus, but it looks like this could be a great addition to the lower price point market and keep pushing the brand name out there. With the quality you guys produce, I would bet on this being another big hit once it gains some recognition.

Hmm, I'm not sure about the aesthetics just yet, but I like the concept. My girlfriend is a casual player and doesn't use many discs, maybe 5-6. But, she likes to have plenty of snacks and such for the round, and she often is layering up or down during a round. Finding a light duty bag that can hold her accessories and layers, but also not being overkill for the amount of discs she carries, has been challenging. The best solution I was able to find was the DGA Shield bag. It's a pretty good bag for what it is, but there's definitely room for improvement, especially when tailoring to her needs. It looks like the Draw could very well be the bag for her. Are there any other pockets, or is it just the side pocket and the main central storage?

Hey guys! We've been working on some new products and I wanted to take a second and show you one of our latest prototypes (only a few people have actually seen this bag so far). What do you think? 8-10 discs, big water bottle pocket, room for a sweatshirt.. we're calling it The Draw.

9mVeteS.jpg

any other pictures? looks neat but id like to see more of it!

9mVeteS.jpg

Love the concept. :thmbup: My wife would totally rock this, and not just for disc golf but dog-walking and other hiking related activities. The size is perfect.

However, may I suggest using a sturdier cupholder material than the mesh on your production run. This reminds me of my V1 shift... After a few rounds the mesh cupholder starts to get holes or tear, and will be useless after a half dozen. Then the drink has to get tossed in the sack - no bueno. :doh: Just like you addressed it on the Shift in future revisions, just go ahead and make that an insulated holder and I think it's a winner!

Just say NO to mesh cupholders!! :D

With the quality you guys produce, I would bet on this being another big hit once it gains some recognition.

This is the thing about entering the lower priced bag market. We want to bring an affordable bag to the beginners, but it's nearly impossible to do so and maintain our known quality (think Toyota/Lexus) and still offer a cheap, beginner bag. We will back this bag nearly the same as our current products, but it will have to take a hit on quality in order to get the price to a reasonable place.

However, may I suggest using a sturdier cupholder material than the mesh on your production run. This reminds me of my V1 shift...

Good feedback. The mesh on those v1 Shifts still keep me up at night :doh:. It was just the wrong type. Mesh is really not bad, it just needs to be the right density. I'll look into what else we could do here, but for our target price point, my hands may be tied.

We're thinking 2-3 colors to start. Any color suggestions?

I would love that bag if the disc pocket was big enough for an Ultrastar for carrying my ultimate stuff.

Good feedback. The mesh on those v1 Shifts still keep me up at night :doh:. It was just the wrong type. Mesh is really not bad, it just needs to be the right density. I'll look into what else we could do here, but for our target price point, my hands may be tied.

We're thinking 2-3 colors to start. Any color suggestions?

I like the black/grey, and I'd go with a softer color as well since I really see this bag appealing to women - maybe a light grey/pink or baby blue?

In my experience, mesh *is* bad. Any bag I've owned that featured mesh cupholders - that's the first thing to go. I thought the Shift would be different considering the higher-end materials used throughout the bag, but now I'm bag-shopping again due to the fact I have zero water storage and have to put my Nalgene in the only storage area :thmbdown: I dealt with it thru the winter when I only need one bottle, but it's just not gonna cut it for the summer.

Even just the regular canvas-like material used on the rest of the bag would be a major improvement, it doesn't need to be insulated like the new Shifts - I understand you have a price point to hit!!

I can tell you however, that the mesh would be a total deal-breaker for me. Been down that road (with UPD even) and I'm now going to have to replace that bag due to it. I'll be watching to see how this develops.

What is the anticipated price on these anyways?

I've been eyeballing a smaller backpack bag for quite some time, and just ordered a Shift (in blue/grey) as the 16-18 disc capacity is exactly what I've been wanting. I currently carry 21, and could easily get 16-17 to work for me. The design is pretty unique too, I wasn't sure about it until I saw how functional it was in the review videos. Very excited to get this and try it out - the OG Tour Series GripEQ bag I have is still very nice, but it's just too big for what I want these days.

The only concern I have is that it only has 1 32 oz water bottle pocket - but I'm guessing the additional storage in the bottom of the main compartment can make up for this easily?

VictorB I picked up a 40oz Hydroflask for my shift. I know its only an additional 8 ounces but it does help stretch the liquids with the one drink holder. If necessary I can fit a 32 ounce in the bottom storage area of the shift. I dont carry much extra stuff in the bag during casual rounds so the bottle fits easily.

I've been eyeballing a smaller backpack bag for quite some time, and just ordered a Shift (in blue/grey) as the 16-18 disc capacity is exactly what I've been wanting. I currently carry 21, and could easily get 16-17 to work for me. The design is pretty unique too, I wasn't sure about it until I saw how functional it was in the review videos. Very excited to get this and try it out - the OG Tour Series GripEQ bag I have is still very nice, but it's just too big for what I want these days.

The only concern I have is that it only has 1 32 oz water bottle pocket - but I'm guessing the additional storage in the bottom of the main compartment can make up for this easily?

Welcome to my predicament!! :p

Yeah, you can put a second bottle in the bottom of the main compartment - however you then lose any and all storage the bag has to offer. In my case, with the V1, I don't even have the bottle pocket anymore, so I can only put one 32 oz bottle in the bottom of the bag and that completely eliminates the only real storage the bag has... :(

One thing I have done is add a carabiner to one of the side loops and I carry a secondary water bottle there. It unbalances the pack somewhat, but if you want to bring anything else (bug spray, sunscreen, snacks, etc) it's really the only option.

VictorB I picked up a 40oz Hydroflask for my shift. I know its only an additional 8 ounces but it does help stretch the liquids with the one drink holder. If necessary I can fit a 32 ounce in the bottom storage area of the shift. I dont carry much extra stuff in the bag during casual rounds so the bottle fits easily.

Both good to know. I usually make it on a 32oz camelbak but always like to have a little more. I'll likely get a 40 oz'er to fill that need without storing another bottle then. 8 extra oz is a lot!

My casual bag and tournament bag are the same setup with my L-series gripeq, so having additional storage isn't a big deal, as I rarely use the side pockets on the gripeq for anything besides towels/birdie bag, and the rest of my junk is in the small storage compartment in there (phone, coin pouch for pin money, pencils, lip balm) I think I'd have more than enough room for a sweatshirt in spring or fall in the bottom storage since I'm kind of small and wear medium shirts anyway.

This is sounding more and more like a good pickup for me and my needs. I probably played my best golf with a smaller rig and condensed disc lineup anyway.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to read through the entire thread, so I apologize if these questions have already been addressed. I am hoping to find out more on the fit and weight distribution for the Shift.

1) What torso size range will the shift accommodate? Can someone provide a vertical measurement of the back panel (from where the shoulder straps attach at the top to the bottom of the back panel)?

2) How is the weight distribution with the water bottle pocket located at the back of the pack instead of being closer to the wearer's back/center of gravity? It seems like the weight of a large water bottle might pull the pack away from your back a bit.

I thought the Shift would be different considering the higher-end materials used throughout the bag, but now I'm bag-shopping again due to the fact I have zero water storage and have to put my Nalgene in the only storage area :thmbdown: I dealt with it thru the winter when I only need one bottle, but it's just not gonna cut it for the summer.

Shoot me an email at [email protected] :thmbup:

I may be going out on limb here, but you may want to consider pink/grey or pink/black as an option. I know my lady would be interested in the new smaller bag.

And since it's been a year since I've had my Shift, I must say that I still couldn't be happier. Not only does it satisfy all my disc golf needs, I also use it regularly as a daddy backpack for outings, concerts, and festivals. Thus far, it shows no signs of wear, and the rain fly has been clutch. Thanks for making such a great bag UPD!

2) How is the weight distribution with the water bottle pocket located at the back of the pack instead of being closer to the wearer's back/center of gravity? It seems like the weight of a large water bottle might pull the pack away from your back a bit.

I don't know if it's the height of the water bottle pocket, or the way it's attached, but I really don't notice a difference between a full nalgene and an empty one.