• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

Wanting to upgrade to a backpack from my Innova Deluxe. The Rebel looks amazing.

Got a couple of questions for any V4 owners out there.

1. Can anyone comment on stuffing a sweatshirt/jacket in the side pockets? I know they were expanded on this version.
2. Are there mini pencil pockets on this thing? Looks like the pencil/marker pockets on the front corners might be a little too deep for your typical golf pencil.

Small things, I know, but just trying to get all the info I can before buying.

I fit a 2xl hoodie in one of my side pockets. Had a towel, rain fly, dirt bag, wallet, keys, phone in the other. The side pockets are pretty huge.

Only pencil holder are the deep pockets on the corner. I just keep some full size pencils in there.

Still waiting on the Shift I ordered for my bfs birthday. It shipped really quickly, but good old customs has been holding onto it for over a week. I'm expecting it to come in on Tuesday and I'm really excited to see it in person.
Quick question for anyone who has ordered a UPD bag to Canada... Did you have to pay extra duties/taxes when your bag arrived? I've had that happen a few times, but not every time, that I've ordered something online that ships from the States.

Answer to my own question: Yes. And in addition to duties and taxes, the customs people also felt the need to open the box, rummage through the bag, and then charge me $10 for that "service"

Getting back into Disc Golf after a few years off and have been looking at replacing my old Revolution Team bag (pre-Carolina) with quad straps. My Revo bag is still in great condition but with the single water bottle holder its always off balance and it holds more discs that I ever carry.

So my hunt for a new bag started. At first I was going to grab a Revo Mini bag but then figured I'd go with a backpack style instead. So that let me to the Grip c15. The grip c15 looked like a great bag and still does but while doing some searching on it I ran across the UPD Shift. The more I researched the more and more I liked the Shift over the c15. So finally last night I pulled the trigger on a V5 Shift. Can't wait to get it in, load it up, and play some rounds with it!!!

Someone recommended these bags to me since my back is hurting after a round of 18 with the 22-25 discs I typically carry. I was thinking of going down to 15-18 discs, but saw that the Rebel can carry 25. Would carrying 25 discs in a bag like the Rebel, vs a bag like the Prodiscus 30+ (the one I carry now), make a significant difference to my back? Or should I focus on carrying less discs?

I don't love my current bag and am thinking of selling it to put money towards either a different bag, or a cart (or both if I get a ridgeroller backpack cart).

The rebel feels amazing when fully loaded. Ive even put 3 x10lb wts in there to show my friend who couldn't believe how well it rides.

Only other bag as comfy that holds more stuff IMO is the oop Mystery Ranch Golf Mahal which has custom sized yolks for different body sizes.

Just got a shift for Christmas and it is everything I hoped:
1) A moderate amount of disc space (I already have a large bag if I want to bring extras). This also forces me to minimize my molds somewhat.
2) Super light and comfortable to wear.
3) Enough storage in the bottom and side pouches to hold the normal odds and ends, plus some towels and a hat/gloves.
4) Several small touches like removable cross straps and elastic pocket dividers that are really useful.

This is the perfect round for league rounds (where I already know the courses/shots) or new courses with long walks. It slots right between my FlakX and the plethora of small bags bouncing around my garage.

I finally got out and played a round with my Shift today. I am in love!!

I don't carry a ton of disc to begin with so it has plenty of space for me. Keeps everything nicely organized. The mini pocket fits my cased iPhone 6 sideways perfectly (so I can keep score with my DGCR app). Best of all it is VERY comfortable. I am pretty ruff on bags so time will tell on the durability but the quality does seem on par with all of my hiking backpacks. Because of that I'm not really concerned with durability.

Great bag!!

what's the most discs people are fitting in a shift?

17 is the most I feel like it can fit, for my setup at least.

7 mids and putters in the vertical storage, and 5 drivers in each side, 2 in the top pocket and 3 in the bottom pocket.

I'm probably going to have to get a rebel then, i fit 22 in my ergo2, and i like the idea of sticking with purely vertical storage, but 17-18 means dropping from 4 to 3 stabilities at every distance and I can't jive with that. It would be ok for casual rounds with no water, but i want any new bag to work for tournaments or rounds on Maple Gold with multiple tough water carries.

Typically I carry 15-16 when I'm playing rounds, but there was this...

73d434b81871956feaf23df5122cb613.jpg

21. It happened friend.

Practice putting only- it's easier for me to grab this bag full of putters than it is a bin. Plus then I have a place for a water bottle, my keys, phone, towels, etc. while I'm at the practice green and that stuff isn't just floating around with a stack of putters.

I'm probably going to have to get a rebel then, i fit 22 in my ergo2, and i like the idea of sticking with purely vertical storage, but 17-18 means dropping from 4 to 3 stabilities at every distance and I can't jive with that. It would be ok for casual rounds with no water, but i want any new bag to work for tournaments or rounds on Maple Gold with multiple tough water carries.

If it was going to be only bag I would definitely go with the Rebel. Even without it full it still carries and functions well, if you want to drop some for quick/casual rounds. I've carried as many as 30 in the Rebel before, depends on how many putters I'm carrying at the time. Typically it's around 20 for me.

what's the most discs people are fitting in a shift?

I carry 18 typically, but have fit 20 and I didn't feel like I was stressing the bag at all. In addition, the Shift has two elastic internal mesh pockets in the lower storage compartment that I've used to get up to 22 for a little bit. (carried utility discs that I rarely use) After about 2 months in summer heat, those two discs warped a little bit though.

Typically I carry 15-16 when I'm playing rounds, but there was this...

We advertise 17 because it's the perfect amount where no discs are really getting in the way of one another. But yes, you can fit more..

Now I'm only showing this to you guys because it's my job to push my bags to the absolute limit to see what they can do. Plus I thought it would be fun to show you a Shift actually stuffed :D

This is 31 mids (Buzzz) inside a GMC v4 Shift.

As most of you know, this is not realistic. The inside discs were impossible to pull out one at a time but the outside pockets still worked surprisingly well.

Attachments

• 20160916_190135.jpg
    20160916_190135.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 158

Latest posts