• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Upshot disc

P1 and KC Aviar are something I would be familiar with. I'm looking for something that just goes straight at it and doesn't fade, but I have that covered with the Nova.

If the nova already covers the line you are looking for, then why not stick with the nova?

If you are familiar with p1 then maybe try an s-line, or champ aviar p&a. I use an s line for straight approach and putting. Just started toying with a stiff champ aviar for something slightly more stable, and it's nice. Pretty straight with a little fade at the end, holds good hyzer lines as well.

If the nova already covers the line you are looking for, then why not stick with the nova?

If you are familiar with p1 then maybe try an s-line, or champ aviar p&a. I use an s line for straight approach and putting. Just started toying with a stiff champ aviar for something slightly more stable, and it's nice. Pretty straight with a little fade at the end, holds good hyzer lines as well.

I still have to try the Nova out. I just bagged it last night, so it will definitely get tested today. Even though it is going to be brisk weather in the Midwest...

Just want to say thanks to the mods for moving this and putting a recommend label on. Still a little new to the forums, but really like it here.

If you are putting with P2's, just move your most beat-in P2 over to upshot duty. Then add an S-line P2 for more stability. Same putter (mold) for all...

That is a good idea, but I use both for putting. They are about equal wear right now. might bag a D-Line for Upshot duty and bag a S-Line for driving. I've been tweaking my bag all summer finding what I like and what works for my style of play. Thanks for the advice!

This is a broad subject and you'll get countless different answers.
/QUOTE]

This is always the case here at DGCR. I think your right on with a KC Aviar. Something OS that won't fly past the basket but will hook up to set you up for a close putt. I used a KC Aviar for many years and my only issues with it are the bead and how deep it is. I've picked the PA1 as my OS upshot disc. Was using a Zone for a long time but that thing is more of a utility disc like a shorter Firebird.

I recommend the Vibram Ridge in medium rubber. Will give you nice grip in the winter. If you like the mold, you can get a firm for summer use. Small bead, overstable, indestructable

Sonic or polecat, the only upshot discs that should ever be used.

Don't yell at me SonicGuy I know you didn't like it. I am going to add the Rattler. Great upshot disc from about 100' in. Flies straight drops at the basket. It does take some getting use to with the high rounded shoulder. I recommend getting them around 170. Max weight Rattlers don't have as much float.

The Brand DGCR Built™! Reptilian Disc Golf Scale. Wicked overstable. Great for driving and upshots. Fights wind. Hits and sticks. Just all around dependable. #RDGFTW

If you are overshooting from 60-70 feet you prob need something with next to no glide. This way, when you throw you get a feel for that disc and know that it will stop going and drop down.
I usually use a champ rhyno or something like that when I want it to just drop after it loses power. it is an overstable disc and easy to control to throw straight or hyzer...
Find something with a low glide is my advice.

I recommend the Vibram Ridge in medium rubber. Will give you nice grip in the winter. If you like the mold, you can get a firm for summer use. Small bead, overstable, indestructable

I wasn't a fan of Vibram :( I actually traded the Ridge I had to my friend.

If you are overshooting from 60-70 feet you prob need something with next to no glide. This way, when you throw you get a feel for that disc and know that it will stop going and drop down.
I usually use a champ rhyno or something like that when I want it to just drop after it loses power. it is an overstable disc and easy to control to throw straight or hyzer...
Find something with a low glide is my advice.

Umm, yeahh, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there...

The point of glidey discs for upshots is that you don't have to throw them very hard to get them where they are going. Less effort on propulsion means more concentration on aim and distance control. Imho.

I'm going to add another vote for the Rhyno. Easy to put where you want it. I carry three. A slightly beat 172 G* that will give me some turn, a max wt G* that is just straight. I can give it a ton of power and it doesn't flip but it doesn't fade hard either. It's my favorite approach disc. Then I have a super stable Ontario Champ. Covers everything I ever need in any wind conditions. Give em a try.

Never cared for the KC-Aviar, for me it's the "hit a root or stone, stand up and roll away king".

I have three discs I use for most of my upshots; a Suspect for the hyzer line, Fuzion Judge is my main upshot disc and an XT-Whale when I can't have it go long, it just runs out of steam and drops.

Umm, yeahh, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there...

The point of glidey discs for upshots is that you don't have to throw them very hard to get them where they are going. Less effort on propulsion means more concentration on aim and distance control. Imho.

And his point is that you don't have to throw hard for a disc to go 60'-70' in the first place.

And his point is that you don't have to throw hard for a disc to go 60'-70' in the first place.

Yep, I was reaching all the way back causing me to overshoot. When I reach back less and power down I was laying up next to the basket 90% of the time.

Latest posts