• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Upshot disc

Practice, practice. All but the most OS putters will fly pretty straight, be easy to range, and sit down quickly since they're not flying very fast.

I didn't catch how you were throwing those 70 ft. approaches. If you're throwing like you throw longer shots (four-finger grip, for example), then you might want to consider a fan grip or even a jump-putting style (watch some Youtube videos for the 'how to').

As to discs, for me it depends on the situation. You said you wanted pink discs; I like the Champion (Pink) Panther for spike hyzers around trees that are between me and the basket. The Pink Panther also is very good for me on 100-130 ft. approach shots with more conventional grips and shots.

Otherwise, your favorite putter mold in a relatively indestructo plastic would be a recommendation. For me that's a Lucid plastic Judge or 400S PA-4.

I didn't catch how you were throwing those 70 ft. approaches. If you're throwing like you throw longer shots (four-finger grip, for example), then you might want to consider a fan grip or even a jump-putting style (watch some Youtube videos for the 'how to').

As to discs, for me it depends on the situation. You said you wanted pink discs; I like the Champion (Pink) Panther for spike hyzers around trees that are between me and the basket. The Pink Panther also is very good for me on 100-130 ft. approach shots with more conventional grips and shots.

Otherwise, your favorite putter mold in a relatively indestructo plastic would be a recommendation. For me that's a Lucid plastic Judge or 400S PA-4.

I was using power, but started using the fan grip. I prefer the fan grip. I was throwing much better using that grip.

70 ft away most people are jump putting. Just seems its a more accurate way of running at the basket while still staying close.

Prolly after about 100 ft in the open ill start throwing. I putt/upshot/ drive with novas. Sticky disc.

Yeah at 70 feet, it would be a toss up for me between a standing throw or jump putt. If I had a high ceiling I'd probably jump putt because it's easier to range and throw straight at the basket. I might still come up a little short, but putts in the 5 - 20 foot range are usually pretty make-able. If there were a low ceiling I'd definitely be throwing at that range because a jump putt on the outside of my range definitely requires a good bit of height to get there.

70 ft away most people are jump putting. Just seems its a more accurate way of running at the basket while still staying close.

Prolly after about 100 ft in the open ill start throwing. I putt/upshot/ drive with novas. Sticky disc.

I probably just need to work on my jump puts. It's pretty atrocious. I think I'm going to spend some time tomorrow working on my upshots and jump putts.

Buy 2 Gateway Chiefs: 1 "S," 1 Evo. Bang up the S Chief until it starts to go dead straight and keep the Evo for stability.

You can power grip, fan grip, and flick the Chief. Feels incredible in the hand and goes dead straight for a good way with some juice before a slight fade.

I bag 2, and after I beat one to a nice understability, I plan on putting another one in the bag, perhaps the Chief OS model.

soft neutron Envy. I bag a couple in different weights and combined with a pretty beat Nova I have all of my upshot needs well covered.

I keep a 175g Star Rhyno in my bag for OS or windy upshots, and a 175g XT Nova for straighter upshots (which I'm still learning how to throw properly).

Nova for straight/overstable shots that need to stick.

Beat McPro Aviar for straight/understable and shots that need some glide.

They have new stock stamped s-line P2's in pink that are nice and soft. Very straight fliers with a hint of fade. Check the DM store for them!

Otherwise I also like the r-pro cro for straight/controlled approaches.

I love the Proxy for drives but I had trouble ranging it as an upshot disc. If I know I need a driving putter at a course I will throw it in the bag otherwise I have the Nova for straight upshots. Feel like I can finesse the Nova a bit more where the Proxy needs a bit more juice to get there as it didn't have as much glide.

zone for me.. bh,fh,oh, you name it and the zone can do it .. its used for the vast majority of my upshots.. other than that its my putter

I love the Proxy for drives but I had trouble ranging it as an upshot disc. If I know I need a driving putter at a course I will throw it in the bag otherwise I have the Nova for straight upshots. Feel like I can finesse the Nova a bit more where the Proxy needs a bit more juice to get there as it didn't have as much glide.

Yep, need to get MVP spinning because of the overmold. I think this is where some people have trouble with getting anything MVP to fly right for them. Spin>Speed

Yep, need to get MVP spinning because of the overmold. I think this is where some people have trouble with getting anything MVP to fly right for them. Spin>Speed

It is a faster disc for a putter without much glide it has nothing to do with the spin or being an overmold. I can get the proxy to "fly right" but there are times I want a glidey putter I don't have to throw as hard. Other shots the Proxy can do I cover with a beat roc but there are lines at a shorter course where a Proxy is money and fun to throw.

Edit: Not trying to turn this into the Proxy thread just was mentioning what worked/didn't for me as far as a straight upshot disc.

It is a faster disc for a putter without much glide it has nothing to do with the spin or being an overmold. I can get the proxy to "fly right" but there are times I want a glidey putter I don't have to throw as hard. Other shots the Proxy can do I cover with a beat roc but there are lines at a shorter course where a Proxy is money and fun to throw.

Edit: Not trying to turn this into the Proxy thread just was mentioning what worked/didn't for me as far as a straight upshot disc.

Some putters have more glide, like you say. But if you throw MVP, you should know that getting spin on them is key, doesn't matter if it's a driver or low speed stuff. The added weight around outside of rim will cause weak throws to fly like caca.

zone for me.. bh,fh,oh, you name it and the zone can do it .. its used for the vast majority of my upshots.. other than that its my putter

Zone is a great disc. I have been searching for some puddle tops, but I just can't seem to find them. The Glo Z one I have is the only puddle top I own.

Reptilian Disc Golf - Scale (for OS) Serpent (for stable/straight)
Kastaplast - Berg (for OS)

These are slower discs that fly a very comfortable and predictable flight, little glide, little speed, makes tossing an upshot seem like its TOO EASY...trust me

Latest posts