• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Utility discs and their uses - from putters to drivers

Fightingthetide1

Double Eagle Member
Whenever someone says they have a utility disc, they usually are referring to an XXX or a stupid-overstable disc that gets them out of trouble on an overhand throw. I'm curious to see what other discs people have in their bag for utility shots, or even discs that would be considered unconventional by today's standards (and still PDGA legal). And I'm not just talking about the disc you use for thumbers. I'm wondering about every range of disc on every range of stability.

What utility/unconventional putters, mids, and/or drivers do you have in your bag? And what shots do you use them for?

Depending upon the course I am playing, I will add either a completely wrecked dx stinray to the bag or a z-xtreme. One is ridiculously understable and the other is ridiculously overstable. These are useful for me when playing a very tight/wooded course. If I get stymied up against some shule, the stingray comes in handy because with low power, it will still flip and over. It can also be used for stand still rollers. The z-xtreme is used for thumbers, flicks, skips, forehand rollers, pancakes. Again, on tightly wooded courses that you can go up and over things, the z-xtreme is a great disc for this.

The utility discs I usually add are a sonic, gopher, 150 aviar p&a, or a force or PD2.

The sonic, gopher, and 150 aviar all serve the same purpose and only one gets added at a time. They are all for tricky upshots that require finesse or I don't have a lot of room to throw so have to use mostly wrist. I usually add these to tight wooded courses where getting off the fairway will get you in lots of trouble and put you in some shitty spots.

The force and PD2 get added on windy open courses. They are pretty much there to ensure I get some good reliable distance no matter the wind.

I kinda have a utility disc on each side of the stability scale.

For putters I always carry a CE Rhyno for utility overstable putter shots, aggressive runs at the basket in wind, and "punch" approaches. I also always carry a thrashed D-P1 for very high stall hyzerflips that need to fade flat or slightly right.

For Mids I always carry a thrashed roc at around 169 or so. This is the ultimate touch disc and like BLURRR mentioned, can get you out of some tricky situations with limited followthru and power.

For drivers I always carry a fresh glow FB just for shots that need stupid overstable, sidearm rollers, thumbers, everything.

Trey133 said:
This is the ultimate touch disc

I think a lot of people underestimate the usefulness of a really beat disc. I have a few(putters, mids and drivers) that I can mix and match for a course. I tend to usually have at least one incarnation of a paper plate in my bag on any course though.

Good thread!!

As with BLURR and Trey I have a silly flippy 9x teebird that I throw in the bag for wooded/tight courses to use as a get outta jail free card - stand still hyzflips, rollers, fh rollers, etc.

I use floppy pro rhyno for fh putter upshots and fast greens

The overstable slot is an 11x fb for hyzer/overhand/fh/grenade duties.

jamon said:
I have a silly flippy 9x teebird.

Brian Schweberger carries a silly flippy 9x teebird and does some of the wiiiiiildest things with it. Things you should not be able to do. He can "inflip" that thing to hyzer farther than any disc i'v ever seen. Uphill. On a mountain. (West Jefferson, NC).

I carry a couple of super, super flippy things. One is a thrashed Roc I bought at a PIAS a couple of years ago. The other is a P line PD that's been in my bag since it first came out that I threw for rollers to get the rim bent down. Both are great touch discs.

Oh I do have a super flippy 11x EL I use from time to time but it really hasn't been in the bag recently as I haven't needed a disc that flippy for any course I've played recently.

has anyone had a beat enough disc to throw on basically a roller line and barrel roll? that would be a sweet shot, although I don't know how useful it would be

Triflusal said:
has anyone had a beat enough disc to throw on basically a roller line and barrel roll? that would be a sweet shot, although I don't know how useful it would be

The dx stringray I referenced earlier is so thrashed that it can be thrown on a roller line and it will land on its dome. if I release it flat, it will land perpendicular. I usually throw it with looooooots of hyzer if I want it to remain in the air.

I usually have a seasoned 150 dx leopard in my bag for getting out of trouble spots. No matter how limited the movement it always flips over when you need it to. If the wind is calm I like to carry a 150 aviar p&a for the same kind of shots where I am likely to hit chains but it rarely pushes in the chains when I do hit so I am working on beating a heavier magic into the same state of under stability. I also carry an esp flx drone that rarely comes out of the bag.

I have a xXx and a Zone but I don't really throw them OH all that often anymore. It's mainly for FH rollers and weird FH shots. on the other end I have a trashed X Avenger that I will throw on Tommy lines and a number rollers/turnover shots. Then there is the Polecat. That little kitty is tricky and easy.

Trey133 said:
jamon said:
I have a silly flippy 9x teebird.

Brian Schweberger carries a silly flippy 9x teebird and does some of the wiiiiiildest things with it. Things you should not be able to do. He can "inflip" that thing to hyzer farther than any disc i'v ever seen. Uphill. On a mountain. (West Jefferson, NC).

Ummmm, whats an inflip, I'mn very intrigued. This could be helpful at Hyland Hills #14. If its Shwebby its probably and overhand?

Inflip is throwing a disc backhand at a hyzer angle and getting the disc to try to fight out of the hyzer as it is going left. Creating a loooooong hyzer because instead of hyzering into the ground its fighting the hyzer (thus gliding nicely) all while going left.

You can achieve this with super flippy discs and a lot of snap. Its a great trick to learn with flippy rocs too :)

inflip is also a great throw to know for distance. you are trying to throw with extreme nose down on a hyzer. watch GG throw distance, thats what he does. so much nose down that it fights out of the hyzer. it isn't just a hyzer flip, it looks uniquely different. I can only really pull them off with beat up or light OLFs

Z Xreme - Thumbers, Gernades, spike hyzer, skips, FH rollers, etc

Beat Small Bead Aviar - Hyzer flips, big swooping anhyzers, touch approaches, jumpers

Bead S-PD - Rollers

Zone baby. all utility upshots. pancakes/scoobs. forehand touch, backhand spikes. u name it it can do it. Zxtreme for the OH stuff.

11x Firebird so flat it's almost concave.

Mostly used for escape shots, skips, and spike hyzers. I'll also use it if my FH is off and/or I want to relive my baseball days. I can release it like a 3/4 baseball throw and it'll flex back.

i carry a beat wedge that i can hyzer flit to a turnover from stand still, and this really flat esp tracker that is a freak over stable for thumbers and skips and such. also found that the new ace race disc does some sick thumb rollers which came in handy a couple of times.