• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VA disc golf courses

Sounds good, looks like we'll be there and the weather is going to be good. I'm a total novice, started in July and my partner started playing way back in the late 80's.

I can only throw about 250-275, so no chances of making any 400' ones in two, but it'll be the first time I played on a 'pro' course, I've only played Burke/Pohick. hehe, I did 4.5 rounds at Pohick yesterday and am heading out in the CHILL now to play 3-4 at Burke before football :)

We wouldn't mind company at all, we smoke lawn but we're friendly!

Jeff

Everything is still a go. Hopefully, we'll be down there around 9am if I can drag my friend out of the house early enough. It's about an hour ride for us. I'll be in the red matrix (my name on the license plate), carrying the red bag with a red towel.

Hope to see ya there!

Rickg said:
The tee colors are reversed on this course. Red are longs, white are shorts. If you wanna play long on the first, go to the whites and look about 30 yards directly behind you. The longs are tough, and some of the pins are already in the long: Nos. 2, 3, 7-12, 14-16 and 18 are long. In this configuration there are 7 holes that will at least PLAY longer than 300' and two of those will play over 400' from the short tees. From the longs, all but 5, 8, 13 and 17 will play over 300, with about 5 holes playing over 400'. No. 6 is 487' in the short, where it is now, but it is downhill. That being said, I've only seen about 6 people reach it with their tee shot. The red tees are often hard to find, but the whites are easily found. Most of the tees are large and filled in with stone dust. The baskets are in very good shape, some of the benches aren't. No. 11 is across a pond, and I think it's about 230' to carry it from the whites. The tee markers are missing there, but the tee area is just in front of and to the left of the bench. Keep your eyes open going from 2 to 3, and 8 to 9, and 13 to 14, those are the easy to miss holes. Tell ya what, if you don't mind playing with an old fart(47), I'll give you the tour. I've been playing about 18 mos., so I'm not that good, but I love the game. Just let me know when and I'll meet you there.

Rick

I got a chance to play New Quarter Park for the second time yesterday (since July) and just wanted to give an update. First of all...my opinion that this course is friggin' awesome has been reinforced. Anybody in VA should make it a point to make it to this course at some time, dedicate a day to it if you can b/c you'll want to play several rounds (assuming your arm is still attached). There have been a couple changes since July when I played.

First the good: the parks dept. already had been doing an excellent job of maintaining the course and keeping it immaculately clean. But they've been busy...benches are now installed at almost every hole. And not some cheesy 4x4 and plywood kind of rig, but real metal and wood park benches. Also, tee signs are at every hole now, really nice ones too, full color, showing both the white and blue tees. They even named the holes after Civil War events, which is a nice touch (the course is on an old battlefield for those who don't know). And the course is far enough from houses and such that the signs should hopefully avoid vandals.

Now the bad: this isn't really "bad", but it might be unpleasant for some. The course is now a pay to play course, $3/day, or $25/annual. It's totally worth it in my opinion though. I would gladly fork over the money, they're doing a fantastic job with the course and if the money is helping the cause, then by all means, help them out! If the course is actually generating a profit, that can be incentive for new courses to be built in other areas, and also, there's PLENTY of room for more holes at the park. If the funds generated could bring about another 18 holes there...then wow, that'd be bordering on a DG resort.

And now, the ugly: Again, this isn't really that bad, but it was a bit of an unpleasant surprise. To lead up to this, I'm living in Seattle, came back to VA for Christmas, brought along my discs of course, and had been eagerly anticipating my chane to play NQP again. My folks live in the sticks, so it's about an hour and a half drive to the course. We follow the winding road to get there, and then finally get to the park entrance to see that the gate is closed and locked. There's a sign there that states the park is closed for winter hours, and that it's only open Friday-Sunday, something like 10-5 or so. I was dismayed to say the least, but wasn't going to travel all that way for nothing, so decided to hop the fence and play anyway. As luck would have it, right as I crossed over, a ranger pulled up in his truck. Trying to play dumb/innocent I was like "Hey, is it cool if I just throw some discs here?" He was like "Oh yeah, no problem, you'll just have to walk there." So apparently the park is just closed to cars for the winter hours, not a big deal at all, you can park in a small parking lot at the gate and go from there. The only drawback is that it's kind of a long walk from the gate to the course...maybe about a mile or so. Good news is though, that since the park is closed, there's nobody in the office so if you go on an off day, it's still a free course. I almost feel guilty for playing for free though...almost wanted to slip some money under the door for them!

Anyway, like I say, if you have a chance, definitely check this place out and support it. It's easily in the top 3 of my favorite courses I've played...MAYBE even #1. It's just got so much going for it...not only is it well designed and well maintained, but it's also so remote that the course is solely DGers...no need to worry about dog walkers, angry neighbors, picnicers, playgrounds, etc. It's just you, and the beauty of the course. :D

I can add that this is a great course. When we played a couple months ago they were putting up the signs for the holes (just finished the day we played). Benches were not in, so that's been added since.

The course was created by local DGers and is maintained by them and the park crew. In the office, they also have a small selection of discs should you need one.

The course is well kept and a lot of fun. It's longer than many of the other courses around VA as well, so if you have a big arm, you'll get to really let go on several of the holes (especially if you play the long tees).

It's also a very hilly course. Lots of elevation changes from hole to hole and some in-hole elevations. All of the 18 holes are well thought out and just about all play differently than the next (i.e., you can't just take a mid/putter/driver and have at it). Several holes play from in the woods to a clearing and vice versa.

I too would highly recommend the course if you get a chance.

timbuck, i am from florida, but whent to school in va, and a few of my best friends that are from va and frequently travel back for the holidays live out in seattle. they love to play dg, and i am sure would love to meet a fellow virginian out in seattle. one of my friends works as a brewer, always good to know, and the other one is a lone officer now, but still full time party animal im sure. e-mail me at [email protected] let me know a bit about yourself and im sure my friends would love to meet you.

Latest posts