• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Val drops Innova?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably. Though there are so few female-only events that they are a special attraction. If there were as many as there are mixed-gender events, they wouldn't be attended at quite the same level (though perhaps, still better than they are now).

I still think the female tour would be worth pursuing, for at least one season. You'd get numbers, show a commitment to the sector and possibly generate a good response. Yep there's a price, but that's a price I'd be willing to support as a pdga member. That is, I'm not putting it on Innova etc. but to the members who think the pdga should do more to grow the sport.

I mean, I find it hard myself to find guys I can stand to play with, so I totally get it.
Its not like I'm out there with a monocle and pipe, lol, but there seem to be a lot of even middle aged guys on the course that have the temperament and maturity of 13yr olds.

I know those types but I avoid them like the plague and the only time I'll chuck plastic with them is during a tournament. What I'm starting to wonder is if this is a regional thing? I've only ever played in Socal and the surrounding areas and I can honestly say I've overwhelmingly enjoyed the company of this community.

They way you've described your experience with disc shops is also the complete opposite from my own. I buy 90% of my plastic from Discovering The World In Anaheim California. They have multiple female employees and they're super knowledgeable. They're opinions are also much more in line with what I've heard from Innova employees as opposed to this site.

I know those types but I avoid them like the plague and the only time I'll chuck plastic with them is during a tournament. What I'm starting to wonder is if this is a regional thing? I've only ever played in Socal and the surrounding areas and I can honestly say I've overwhelmingly enjoyed the company of this community.

They way you've described your experience with disc shops is also the complete opposite from my own. I buy 90% of my plastic from Discovering The World In Anaheim California. They have multiple female employees and they're super knowledgeable. They're opinions are also much more in line with what I've heard from Innova employees as opposed to this site.

As an added bonus, go look at the DD video of the two guys playing and talking about dating from GBO. Paige B. Plays through and they are smitten. Not because she's pretty, but because she plays pretty awesome. It's a nice statement by a company that is clearly thinking about the topic.

Could it be that women as a whole don't care about playing disc golf?

I don't think that males playing have ruined it for the ladies by any stretch.

Its not a big deal.

It can't be that. We live in the age of Ronda Rousey and the Rugby War Goddess. Girls play sports. How in the world is disc golf of all things too "manly" for girls?

Why do we worry about women playing anyway? Fine if they do, fine if they don't.

Because female participation in the sport is extremely low and that leads a lot of people to believe there is a problem that needs fixing. I'm not pulling teeth over this. It's an interesting question.

I still think the female tour would be worth pursuing, for at least one season. .

No one is stopping you or anyone...

Hell who is jumping on the bandwagon? Ill drive and could even do this legit. We need more females prolly tho... ****!

If I ever strike it rich, or even moderatley wealthy, I will put forward 750,000 dollars to crafting a professional womens only pro-am tour of no less than 6 events on the finest courses within North America.

This is my pledge.

No white knighting. I am raising a daughter and a niece and feminism is very important to me as a result. Even 15 years ago I couldve given a rats butt about womens rights. Ive changed, and slowly, so is my home country. I welcome it. I also support Val's decision. You may thing its stupid or misguided but what matters is that she is taken a stand for something she believes in. She's no millionaire, I'm sure. She is willing to make a sacrifice for her ideals. You can be entirely against those ideals,however murky they may be, but I invite you to at least respect her stance.

I have been in DGCR for a long time and Ive been known to be quite outspoken, often to my own detriment. I have looked the fool on countless occasions. Maybe I am doing so now. But while we may be a niche audience, this is an important issue. If even one mind is change because of this, I think its fantastic.

Thats enough rambling. Go Val!

For sure. I'd assume things are more laid back in SoCal, lol. Most of my experience is Midwestern, and while we are notorious for being nice in some ways we also aren't as ahead of the game in many ways that Cali has been for awhile.

There's three kinds of disc golfers...

One wants to throw what the best players in the world or the best players they know throw. These are usually newer players that will purchase a lot of different discs that those players throw to try to "find their game". This is the bread and butter customer for disc golf companies. These are the people that disc golf companies sponsor players for and pay to advertise for them. Marketing means a lot to both the purchaser and the manufacturer. Top player's bags and new discs drive this marketing. What manufacturers look for is whom they are asking about. Are very many in this group asking about Val's bag? I don't know, but I would want to if I manufactured discs. The object of those questions will get the money and support. It's really that simple.

One knows their game and buys what they want for their bag. They've usually bought a lot of discs and used to be one of the people in the example above or below. Now they buy only what they want and don't look to marketing to make those decisions. Because they know what they want and make few purchasing mistakes, they don't really buy that much. The are the "free" marketing the companies depend on the introduce and hook new players to the game because what's in their bags mean something to the new, potential customer that watch them play at the local course. Manufacturers love and respect these players for the marketing they provide and drive the "grow the sport" idea to make it happen. A lot of these players participate in tournaments. Tourneys don't make the manufacturer money directly, but it keeps them interested and improves their games to help in the "free" local marketing. One hand washes the other sort of thing. I don't know this for sure, but I'd think this avenue of marketing is the most effective which is why companies like MVP can grow without pro sponsorship. Just this group and new releases.

The third kind is the guy that plays because it's a cheap way to have fun. He buys used discs or plays with what he finds on the course. A lot of guys from this group have never bought a new disc and don't plan to. Only the guy selling what he found in the pond or the guy selling what he doesn't throw, cares about this player.

In conclusion, manufacturers will reward players (or anyone really) that will reward them with sales to group one. It's business.

If a person want's Innova or any other company to pay their way... learn marketing! It's almost always not enough to just win. An example of this would be Anna Kournikova in tennis. She didn't win, but she was great at marketing. She's rich with zero titles. The real score board is at the cash register.

Last edited:
Go Val!!!

I like I often do jumped into the thread without reading more. Just read the statement by Val
and really it gave me the goosebumps.

How eloquent- she tells them she's leaving at the beginning of the year. And miraculously late in her career beating out the young guns to win the world's.

So sweet, it is like a giant middle finger put right up at Innova. And I agree, they are the current disc golf manufacturing leader and they suck at promoting women.

Go Val!!

It can't be that. We live in the age of Ronda Rousey and the Rugby War Goddess. Girls play sports. How in the world is disc golf of all things too "manly" for girls?

Because female participation in the sport is extremely low and that leads a lot of people to believe there is a problem that needs fixing. I'm not pulling teeth over this. It's an interesting question.

Perhaps it's not too manly.
Perhaps the majority of women don't LIKE disc golf, or are not interested in trying it.

Just an opinion, but personal attacks accomplish nothing positive and add nothing useful to the thread....

I have no idea how to make a woman happy all the time. I bet Innova's management doesn't either.

Jesus. You all are killing me with the cognitive dissonance here... so clueless.

If a person want's Innova or any other company to pay their way... learn marketing!

Not in disagreement, but it seems relevant to mention that according to her website Val has a degree in Business Marketing.

There's three kinds of disc golfers...

One wants to throw what the best players in the world or the best players they know throw. These are usually newer players that will purchase a lot of different discs that those players throw to try to "find their game". This is the bread and butter customer for disc golf companies. These are the people that disc golf companies sponsor players for and pay to advertise for them. Marketing means a lot to both the purchaser and the manufacturer. Top player's bags and new discs drive this marketing. What manufacturers look for is whom they are asking about. Are very many in this group asking about Val's bag? I don't know, but I would want to if I manufactured discs. The object of those questions will get the money and support. It's really that simple.

One knows their game and buys what they want for their bag. They've usually bought a lot of discs and used to be one of the people in the example above or below. Now they buy only what they want and don't look to marketing to make those decisions. Because they know what they want and make few purchasing mistakes, they don't really buy that much. The are the "free" marketing the companies depend on the introduce and hook new players to the game because what's in their bags mean something to the new, potential customer that watch them play at the local course. Manufacturers love and respect these players for the marketing they provide and drive the "grow the sport" idea to make it happen. A lot of these players participate in tournaments. Tourneys don't make the manufacturer money directly, but it keeps them interested and improves their games to help in the "free" local marketing. One hand washes the other sort of thing. I don't know this for sure, but I'd think this avenue of marketing is the most effective which is why companies like MVP can grow without pro sponsorship. Just this group and new releases.

The third kind is the guy that plays because it's a cheap way to have fun. He buys used discs or plays with what he finds on the course. A lot of guys from this group have never bought a new disc and don't plan to. Only the guy selling what he found in the pond or the guy selling what he doesn't throw, cares about this player.

In conclusion, manufacturers will reward players (or anyone really) that will reward them with sales to group one. It's business.

If a person want's Innova or any other company to pay their way... learn marketing! It's almost always not enough to just win. An example of this would be Anna Kournikova in tennis. She didn't win, but she was great at marketing. She's rich with zero titles. The real score board is at the cash register.

Just an opinion, but personal attacks accomplish nothing positive and add nothing useful to the thread. It stopped being a fun read when it strayed off topic... which is Val and her problem with Innova (or possibly Innova's problem with Val?). Or maybe the world's problem with women's feelings. I have no idea how to make a woman happy all the time. I bet Innova's management doesn't either.

You have hit it out of the park my friend, well done.

For those who think Innova doesn't know what it's doing regarding promoting women, just look at what Jeff Panis is doing for Kona, it's brilliant. She is a social media and disc golf rising star, thanks to Jeff and the support from Innova.

@innova_discin_girl (Chandra Warner DeGood)

2 months ago 7 likes 0 comments

Today is an amazing day! My love and passion for this sport is taking me farther than I ever imagined! I am very excited to start this new journey as captain for social media for Innova under Jeff Panis! #teaminnova #teamdiscbaron #teammadhatter #mdge

You have hit it out of the park my friend, well done.

For those who think Innova doesn't know what it's doing regarding promoting women, just look at what Jeff Panis is doing for Kona, it's brilliant. She is a social media and disc golf rising star, thanks to Jeff and the support from Innova.

@innova_discin_girl (Chandra Warner DeGood)

2 months ago 7 likes 0 comments

Today is an amazing day! My love and passion for this sport is taking me farther than I ever imagined! I am very excited to start this new journey as captain for social media for Innova under Jeff Panis! #teaminnova #teamdiscbaron #teammadhatter #mdge

Honestly, not trolling, but I don't understand what you're referencing here. It appears to be a post about her relative that only 7 people liked in 2 months and no one commented on.
What am I missing?

Honestly, not trolling, but I don't understand what you're referencing here. It appears to be a post about her relative that only 7 people liked in 2 months and no one commented on.
What am I missing?

No lol, sorry if it was confusing, just posted that part to show that new woman's position as "captain of social media for Innova", reporting to Jeff Panis (Kona's father), who is I believe in charge of Marketing for Innova.

Not in disagreement, but it seems relevant to mention that according to her website Val has a degree in Business Marketing.

I'm here and on a lot of other disc golf sites. I see quite a few players marketing the sport on these sites and in videos too. It's funny that I don't see Val (not saying it hasn't happened, but I haven't stumbled across any... of course I haven't searched specifically for her, but then again, I never searched for Scott Stokely and he's everywhere) doing them. Having a degree in marketing and actually marketing are obviously two different things.

No lol, sorry if it was confusing, just posted that part to show that new woman's position as "captain of social media for Innova", reporting to Jeff Panis (Kona's father), who is I believe in charge of Marketing for Innova.

Okay, this makes more sense.

But, that seems like not enough likes for a social media captain. Or do I not understand how likes work since I've never liked anything on the Internet?

If you look around these days, Instagram is where it's at from a social media perspective. The people "doing it right" are very active posting pics, videos, recruiting followers, and promoting their sponsors. Disc golfers are really small time comparatively speaking, but those getting over 10,000 followers are doing it right. Simon has over 32k, Paul has over 28k, Eagle has almost 11k and rising, and so does Kona -- and she hasn't won anything. Val has 2,700 followers, just for reference.

I'm here and on a lot of other disc golf sites. I see quite a few players marketing the sport on these sites and in videos too. It's funny that I don't see Val (not saying it hasn't happened, but I haven't stumbled across any... of course I haven't searched specifically for her, but then again, I never searched for Scott Stokely and he's everywhere) doing them. Having a degree in marketing and actually marketing are obviously two different things.

She has an entire website she built to promote disc golf for women as well as another one to promote herself. In 2min searching the interwebs I figured that much out.

If you are going to argue the "you better understand how marketing works" angle then it's also relevant to understand what marketing to a specific audience entails. If she is trying to market to women, then it stands to reason that maybe you aren't seeing what she is doing because you aren't the customer she's targeting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.