• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Val Jenkins 4x signature Starfire

So without looking, does the disc say Valerie Jenkins or Doss? Or the worst option of all. Valerie Jenkins-Doss

It says Valerie Jenkins. I'm not sure she actually changed her name when they married. Certainly, she still seems to be referred to in tournament footage and so forth as Valerie Jenkins.

Not to play spelling nazi, but it's "Valarie".

Also, she goes by Jenkins in her disc golf doings. I would imagine this has to do with her contracts with Innova before she was married, and also the Jenkins family association with disc golf. That's speculation, though; only the Jenkins-Doss Shadow knows....

I think the Starfire, when worn in, has a little more HSS wiggle than the PD. But its dumpy fade brings it out of that, whereas a turned over powered PD will hold the flex for a long long time. The PD definitely is faster and more of a laser, whereas the Starfire slows down and dumps...it's better for placement. The PD throws more like a driver than the Thunderbird, for example, and the Starfire feels even more like a distance driver rim/flight than a PD (although I don't think it goes further at all). The Starfire I think holds a nice predictable hyzer and is easy to range. I much prefer the PD for forehands though, it's a dead straight laser, where the Starfire will slow down and sweep fade at the end. It's a good disc, I think more useful for placement shots than anything else, where a PD can be low lasers to pump out there, and a Thunderbird is for powered up stable fairway shots...for how I throw anyways. I'm sure the Starfires that Val throws are completely different after so much wear though, and hold long predictable lines.
From my experience throwing StarFires, PDs, ThunderBirds, and FireBirds (all Champ) RHFH, I've found that for max D the PD is the best but for ultimate distance with accuracy I've found that a StarFire is better. The ThunderBird is very squirrelly on a flat full power realease, give it a slight hyzer and it will fly like a PD. The FireBird is very torque resistant but has too much fade and not enough glide to really compete. The StarFire is basically a PD that comes back if its turned over. My C-PD can go 400' but always ends up 30'+ left whereas a StarFire will go 390' but will come back at the end, to finish straight or right of center.

I should really try out a Star StarFire, Star ThunderBird, and a Star FireBird to see how they compare.

Last edited:
I had a Starfire and it had some nice flights. It is a underrated forehand disc as well. I hated the feel of the plastic so I gave it away.

Can anyone compare the Starfire to the RDG Raptor? I've never thrown a Raptor but I've heard they are pretty beefy and closer to a Firebird. Thoughts?

GIRLS DISC GIRLS DISC STAR STARFIRE IS A GIRLS DISC!

Hahahaha I used to get similar taunts back in the day for my JK Aviars and Champ Valkyries. I will need to build a bag of all lady discs, for fun. JK Aviar, Ti Stalker, Champ Valkyrie, Star Starfire. I could make that work hahaha.

Is the Champ Starfire still a man disc? Because that is one of my all-time favorites. You would be hard-pressed to find a more predictable driver, really excels as a forehand disc, though. I have a sweet pearly Champ that I should probably be throwing more, now that I think about it. Starfires only get better with age. By better, I mean longer. Once beaten-in, it can step on the Wraith's toes. That should say enough. But yeah, forehand. The angles on the rim are sharp, but not intrusive. The Starfire will not bite you the way that some other high-speed drivers tend to do when they leave the hand. Feels like it was just made to be forehanded. Tell me it doesn't look comfy.

mt9tlz.jpg

A proper Starfire should not be any domier than this one. Tabletop or GTFO.

2v9atlk.jpg

Last edited:
GIRLS DISC GIRLS DISC STAR STARFIRE IS A GIRLS DISC!

Hahahaha I used to get similar taunts back in the day for my JK Aviars and Champ Valkyries. I will need to build a bag of all lady discs, for fun. JK Aviar, Ti Stalker, Champ Valkyrie, Star Starfire. I could make that work hahaha.

Is the Champ Starfire still a man disc? Because that is one of my all-time favorites. You would be hard-pressed to find a more predictable driver, really excels as a forehand disc, though. I have a sweet pearly Champ that I should probably be throwing more, now that I think about it. Starfires only get better with age. By better, I mean longer. Once beaten-in, it can step on the Wraith's toes. That should say enough. But yeah, forehand. The angles on the rim are sharp, but not intrusive. The Starfire will not bite you the way that some other high-speed drivers tend to do when they leave the hand. Feels like it was just made to be forehanded. Tell me it doesn't look comfy.

mt9tlz.jpg

A proper Starfire should not be any domier than this one. Tabletop or GTFO.

2v9atlk.jpg
You could also add Catrina Allen's prodigy discs in there to get a mid and another pair of distance drivers. I putt with JK Aviars bc of the amazing plastic and Big Bead. I've seen others who putt with them but not many, though no one picks on me for them.

Commemorative Star SLs are in stock on the IFS.

I just got my order of two Val 4x Commerative Star SLs. One in orange, one in pink; pictures to come later. I took the orange one to the course today and played a couple of rounds, throwing either as my throw 'for record' or as a subsequent 'practice' throw.

The discs have a bit of flashing on the bottom, but I expect that'll come off quickly with routine play. They were also a bit overstable, but that might be the tailwind that was blowing, and that it was new. When this thing seasons in, it's gonna be awesome.

All in all, the Val 4x Star SL is everything I could want in an SL. I hope they keep making Star SLs for Val, and I'd still like to see a new production run of Star SLs.....

Yes.

Glad to hear you liked your SLs SD86.

Thanks. They're good discs. As to two threads... one for the Commerative Val 4x World Champion Star SL, and one for the production Val signature Star Starfire disc.

And speaking of the commemorative SLs... they're nearly sold out at the Proshop. Wonder if they'll have more for sale and/or make a second run?