• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Val Jenkins 4x signature Starfire

I just got my order of two Val 4x Commerative Star SLs. One in orange, one in pink; pictures to come later. I took the orange one to the course today and played a couple of rounds, throwing either as my throw 'for record' or as a subsequent 'practice' throw.

The discs have a bit of flashing on the bottom, but I expect that'll come off quickly with routine play. They were also a bit overstable, but that might be the tailwind that was blowing, and that it was new. When this thing seasons in, it's gonna be awesome.

All in all, the Val 4x Star SL is everything I could want in an SL. I hope they keep making Star SLs for Val, and I'd still like to see a new production run of Star SLs.....

Back in the day I snagged a star SL after liking the pro starfire (SL) so much. I thought the same thing, pretty beefy to start, then all of a sudden it broke in and I was getting an extra 50 feet with it with a gentle turn and fade. Loved it till I lost it, and didn't want to start the break in process again.

Give her the champ Tern. Shes a 4x champion and deserves a disc that will actually sell in volumes. Very few throw an SL

Very few throw an SL

Circular argument. The Star SL is OOP, and one has to know the Pro Starfire is really an SL. Ergo, few throw it.

IMHO, if the Star SL was back in production, it would sell just fine.

Agree that Val could and should get a top-selling disc as her sig disc.

I finally got to throw my new Val 4x Star SLs today. Wow I'm totally in love. These things fly exactly true to the numbers for me on a BH throw with a flat release. Speed 10? Check. -1 turn? Yes, incredibly controllable drift. 2 fade? Absolutely.

These things are great! It's going straight into the bag as a workhorse. Escapes/Saints are out for a while.

Circular argument. The Star SL is OOP, and one has to know the Pro Starfire is really an SL. Ergo, few throw it.

IMHO, if the Star SL was back in production, it would sell just fine.

Agree that Val could and should get a top-selling disc as her sig disc.

Eh, it wasn't a big seller when it was in production from what I remember. I mean, it went OOP for some reason, right?

The Star SL I had was a turd. But that was a one disc sample size and I throw frisbees more better now so I'd give it another shot. A G*VSL3 would sell like hot cakes though.

Val sig Starfires available at DGU. May become available at other places soon.

I finally got to throw my new Val 4x Star SLs today. Wow I'm totally in love. These things fly exactly true to the numbers for me on a BH throw with a flat release. Speed 10? Check. -1 turn? Yes, incredibly controllable drift. 2 fade? Absolutely.

These things are great! It's going straight into the bag as a workhorse. Escapes/Saints are out for a while.

Agreed. Really liking my Val-SLs. I ordered two more; hopefully they'll last me a long, long time.

It looks like all they did was slap her stamp in between some already stamped Starfires? Val deserves better.

Weak, Innova, weak! :thmbdown:

I don't know what the plastic is like on these Starfires but I want the same blend of Star that was used to make the Tour Series SLs. Those things are butter.

I would want to feel some of these Starfires up before buying.

But yeah, this is good.

Got my Val 4x Star Starfire a few days ago. Took it out during 'Throw Pink" month, but didn't have many chances to use it. Then I took it to the range along with some other discs I'm trying out (Leopard3, etc.).

The Star plastic on the Starfire is a bit softer than the good Tour Series/HL Tern stuff, but is pretty good. The Val 4x Starfire is 167g, and my previous X-out Star Starfire is 170g and feels heavier than that. The X-Out is beefy; the Val Starfire got good distance before fading. It does fade long and hard when it does fade. I can see myself using the Val Starfire in the wind and in a utility manner like some use Firebirds. I am currently working on my forehand with control drivers, and can see working up to the Val Starfire for forehands.

Val Starfire is a good disc, and I like it. I am afraid, however, that it won't be a hot seller even with the Val sig on it. Time will tell...

I have 2 Val Starfires, both are flat, swirly and start out with a nice overstable true to numbers flight. Something interesting with both of mine, they do have Patent #'s on the bottom. I have an old star x out starfire that is also flat and flies great and has patent numbers on the bottom.

Then I have a couple X outs that are kind of a domey mess with no Patent #'s. Both have some turn to them, one is super flippy.

I wonder if she specified which mold to run these in to get the good flat ones or if the key to a good starfire is the Patent # run.
oh and all max weight

I wish they would endorse her for a special blend Champion Valkyrie, the way the disc was in 2000's. That could be her touring disc, unless she has a Starfire as her touring mold.

I wish they would endorse her for a special blend Champion Valkyrie, the way the disc was in 2000's. That could be her touring disc, unless she has a Starfire as her touring mold.

so-youre-telling-me-val-jenkins-is-sponsored-by-innova.jpg

:wall:

If you mean Val Jenkins Doss, she moved from Innova to Discraft. She has a sig edition Thrasher with Discraft.

You do bring up an interesting point: with all of Innova's Tour Series discs, I am shocked (shocked!) that no one is getting a Tour Series Valkyrie (that I know of). It's a good-selling mold, but instead everyone piles on Teebirds, Leo3s, and Shrykes! C'mon, someone get your name on the Valk!