• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Valkyrie equivalent

arastis

I was wondering what discraft's equivalent to the champion valkyrie was or what discs are very similar to this disc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wildcat by discraft is their version of the Valkyrie. I actually prefer it mainly because I like the elite x plastic. If you get it in Elite Z plastic it should Mirror what the valkyrie does pretty good.

I always thought the closest disc to a Valkyrie was an Innova Viking. :D

Actually, I guess they made the Viking with the wrong top for several years. Innova didn't notice the problem until they tried to use the same mold piece for the TeeRex and it did not fly like they wanted it to. So now the Viking is supposed to be fixed, but some of the older ones were very similar to a Valk.

Anyway, sorry for the drift. PhattD is correct, the Wildcat is the disc you seek.

Wildcat by discraft is their version of the Valkyrie. I actually prefer it mainly because I like the elite x plastic. If you get it in Elite Z plastic it should Mirror what the valkyrie does pretty good.

wild cat is 1.5 stability rating which is considered overstable. the valk is around -0.5 on the discraft scale (understable) so they arent even similar in any way (except for being drivers)

I think you're comparing Dicrafts numbers to Innovas. They aren't the same scale. According to the pro's on Team Discraft at the CCR oen Discraft decided to copy Innova's Valkryie an the result was the Wildcat. According to Discgolf Center the Wildcat is:
Difficulty 4
Speed 10
Glide 4
High Speed Stability -2
Low Speed Stability 3
And the Valk is:
Difficulty 4
Speed 9
Glide 4
High Speed Stability -2
Low Speed Stability 2

I'd say that's pretty close. That and I throw both discs and they seem pretty similar to me.

yea i was attempting to convert innova to discraft. but i have thrown both and i honestly see a big difference. but they arent my discs i threw my friends so you would know better than me on this one

thanks for all the responses. One more question though, does the star valk fly like the champ version? Is the star more or less stable? Thanks again for the help

As a general rule of thumb, Champ is always more stable than Star. It will also stay stable longer due to a slower brake-in period. You can offset this some by adjusting weight (a 175 g Star might fly as stable as a 170 g Champ for example) as heavier discs tend to be more overstable.

But to answer your question, the Champ Valk is a bit more overstable to a Star Valk when both are new, and the difference will get greater over time as the Star will break in faster.

lol All I can say is that when Discraft made the Wildcat their intent was to make it fly like the Valkyrie. I wouls say that since one source rates the valk faster and another rates the wildcat faster they are probably pretty close.

The wildcat to me is somewhat similar once it is beaten up.

The Gateway Blurr is much like an Valkyrie also, the Wildcat is more like a Innova Beast to me.

I was told by a Gateway player that the Blurr is like a TeeRex, which is not very close to a Valkyrie. And after throwing a couple I found the Blurr to be even more overstable than my Star TeeRex.

ERic

I would just like to chime in and say I love my Pro Valkyrie. It goes far and almost dead straight every time.

Blurr Teerex...

I own them all, and the TeeRex is like an Illusion, not a Blurr...Blurr is equal turn and fade, 2 2, Illusion is technically a 2 4, and the TeeRex is a 0 5, with the control of the experiment, the Valkyrie being a 2 2 also, and ther only reason I compare the Illusion to the Teerex is that everything Gateway makes is a little more Overstable than the stats claim, so it dies/faes exactly as hard as a Tee rex, and after the same distance, about 275-325, thats when the jacknife dive happens...

Latest posts