• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Birdie Bash Suggestions...

CKunkel

Hey guys,

So I plan on playing in one of Vibram's upcoming Birdie Bashes and need some help because I haven't tried any of Vibram's discs yet. You can see from my signature what I have in my bag, but since it is the choice of two discs (one putter and one mid/driver) I am having troubles figuring out which I should choose. Yes, I have looked a bit at the flight charts, etc. and at the moment would probably choose the following:

Ridge : Since I use my pure for most of my approach shots and it looks pretty similar in terms of flight. I wonder if it feels similar. I like a putter with a shallower rim and no/little bead.

Trak : Seems pretty close to my Jackal or Stalker.

Let me know what you guys think and if I should consider some other discs (and even what plastic to get them in... again I know nothing about vibram discs with the exception that everyone seems to love them when it's wet)

Thanks much,

CKunkel

the ridge has a bead to it, it you want little to no bead you'd wanna check out the sole or summit. what kind of course are you playing on? how far do you throw your putter, mids, and a fairway like your stalker?

Playing at Mayfield, KY (Kess Creek) For the most part it's a pretty short course (a lot of 200-300 ft holes in woods) with a few longer (wide-open holes... mostly 350ish, but they do have one of the longer in the area... over 550ft)

Typically I never drive with a putter and only recently switched to using the pure for upshots (200ft and in) Mids I usually throw 200-250 (can push them farther if I need to, but have been in the habbit of swapping to a fairway disc instead) Stalker I typically can get around 275-300ft

I've only been playing for a little over a year and started exclusively forehand for the first 6 months or so. Since then, I have developed a pretty decent backhand (and have switched to it almost exclusively (with the exception of certain situations))

Thanks again,

CKunkel

cool, i'd probably suggest the summit and trak then. the summit is understable if you crank on it, but if you're not going to be using it much off of the tee it should be fine for upshots and putts. it sounds like you're be powering down on a fairway more than arming up on a mid, and if a lot of the holes are in the woods you'll want all the accuracy you can get. depending on the shape of the holes in the woods you might even be able to go with the ascent, especially if you forehand still. check with whoever is the td at that event, they might have ordered a td pack and have discs you can check out before you actually register.

Yeah, the Trak isn't really that similar to a Stalker. The Trak has more turn to it, but if you're powering it down it should be nice and straight. The Ascent is just barely overstable, really just a very straight flyer, but I think the Trak can shape better lines.

Ya since your putters are the Warlock and Pure, don't go with the Ridge. The Ridge has a noticeable bead when it's in your hand and that could throw you off. Since I putt with Wizards I'm gonna be goin with the Ridge myself. Not quite sure what driver yet though.. possibly the Ibex. From the flight chart it seems like the Ibex is straight with some fade at the end and since I throw the Teebird a lot of the time it should be somewhat similar. Like Dehaas said, your TD probably ordered a TD pack that has all 9 discs in it. They do that so the TD can try to lure players to register by saying, I have all Vibrams discs you're welcome to try em yourself before registering/picking your disc combo.

Seems like as good a thread as any to ask this, what's the rundown on the Ibex and Obex?

Seems like as good a thread as any to ask this, what's the rundown on the Ibex and Obex?

These are my two main mids.

Ibex - thrown flat, it will fly straight with good glide. Little to no fade at the end of flight. Very easy to control. It will hold an anny or hyzer if you desire. Awesome grip in medium x-link. Good all around - except into the wind.

Obex - Slightly overstable Ibex that works well into the wind. I also like it more than the Ibex if you're powering down because the fade will help with accuracy (judging distance).

Hmm. I'm looking for something to fit in between my Opto Pain and Opto Fuse. I've been monkeying around with a flat Axis and a VIP Warship there but both have a bit more turn in them than I'd like. I'd like something very HSS with a little predictable fade, basically dead straight.

Not to hijack the thread, but it seems pointless to create another. I've only thrown an Ascent a while back, so I have very little experience with Vibram's discs. I throw SSS Magics, Buzzz SS and Star/Champ Teebirds. I can usually get my Magic's out to about 250 on a clean throw, so I figure I'd drop the Midrange. Trak=Teebird? Summit=Magic? Do Summit's have nice glide?

I think the Summit glides the best out of Vibram's putters (never thrown a Sole, though) especially in lower weights. It throws pretty understable, you need to hyzer flip it to go straight or really power down on it. Magic and Summit is not too bad of a comparison, I'd say the Summit is a little more understable, more like an APX/Reef.

I throw well seasons Magic's, so the Summit should fit nicely. Ascent might be a better choice, especially if there is some wind. Thanks for the tips.

Hmm. I'm looking for something to fit in between my Opto Pain and Opto Fuse. I've been monkeying around with a flat Axis and a VIP Warship there but both have a bit more turn in them than I'd like. I'd like something very HSS with a little predictable fade, basically dead straight.

You probably have a bigger arm than me, but I've never thrown a disc as straight as the Ibex; it has great distance too.

Never thrown a Pain, but Ibex is definitely more stable than a Fuse.

I think the grip has helped it shine in the cold wet conditions I've been playing in, but I love the feel of it, and the results have been outstanding the few rounds I've thrown it - planning on a 1 disc round with it once it stops snowing.

Ibex/obex is like the buzzz/wasp in that they're the same disc aside from the bead. The ibex has a bit of turn for me, like a buzzz ss as opposed to a buzzz. Ibex has a bit more fade than an ss though and I personally don't think an obex is quite as overstable as a good wasp. So tldr, I think an obex is what you want. If you can throw a mid 300 an obex will be straight with a bit of fade.

Not to hijack the thread, but it seems pointless to create another. I've only thrown an Ascent a while back, so I have very little experience with Vibram's discs. I throw SSS Magics, Buzzz SS and Star/Champ Teebirds. I can usually get my Magic's out to about 250 on a clean throw, so I figure I'd drop the Midrange. Trak=Teebird? Summit=Magic? Do Summit's have nice glide?

If you're hyzerflipping a magic to straight at 250 you can get a summit that far. I think the trak is more beefy leopard to tl like, so if you want something more teebird like get an ascent.