• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Birdie Bash Suggestions...

Ascent is probably more "TeeBird"'than the Trak. Trak is like a TL or XS.

I have a slightly domey Trak that flies almost exactly like the Star Teebird that I have. I also have thrown a few flat ones that are fairly stable to slightly understable, so it does make a difference with the dome on Traks in my experience.

It's going to be at the td discretion. We have talked about it in the vibram birdie bash thread. Some have opted that you play with just one disc. Some are bringing spare rentals or spares to buy. I'm bring spare rentals to mine and going to assign them to three people helping with event. I'm going to try to separate us by 4 holes and you can approach us for a rental disc. You just end up throwing what we have

Ok, so I'm really excited that this thread has taken off like it did. I've pretty much decided on the Summit and the Trak, but now comes the question of plastic. Firm, Medium, or Soft? How do they compare to Star, Champion, etc. I've come to like a firm putter and Star or Pro plastic for my main throwing discs.

Keep this in mind. No matter what you choose, you're using discs that you're not very familiar with. As a result, you're going to have a lot of inconsistency in your throw as you continue to feel it out.

I find the Trak to be a much better driver than the Ascent, it shapes some really nice lines. But being understable, it is also more touchy and less forgiving than the Ascent. In the long term, it will be a better overall disc, but in the short term, before you have a good feel for either one, the Ascent will be far more predictable and easier to control.

As for soft, med, or firm, it's hard to really compare them to other materials. At check in, try to feel them out and just go with what feels the best to you.

Ok, so I'm really excited that this thread has taken off like it did. I've pretty much decided on the Summit and the Trak, but now comes the question of plastic. Firm, Medium, or Soft? How do they compare to Star, Champion, etc. I've come to like a firm putter and Star or Pro plastic for my main throwing discs.

Unfortunately you don't get to choose the plastic. They are all medium. You do get topick heavy or light though.

Medium is the best all-around blend that Vibram makes though, in my opinion. It's jsut as durable as soft, but grippier than firm. The Firm putters are really good for driving and upshots...not so much for putting. And I used to like soft drivers and mids, but after awhile they start to just feel too floppy. Soft putters are super money in the cold, though.

but jwtaylo1 is right...all discs will be medium. Not a bad thing!

Great thread! I actually hadn't heard about the Birdie Bash before. It looks awesome!

I have a few questions that it would be great to get some input on. Any recommendations between a VP and a Sole for an overstable putter? I putt with Voodoos myself, and prefer their smooth, tiny-bead feel, but would like to try something more OS for this. Would a Sole be significantly more OS than a Voodoo? Any experience driving with it? etc.

How does an Obex compare overstability-wise to a Roc or Pain? More? Less? About the same? I've been wanting to try an Obex out in general, but I think a Trak would work better for this event, but be less useful to me in the long term, so I'm trying to figure out which direction I'm going to go. If the Obex is less OS than the other mids I mentioned, I'm less likely to be interested in it.

Thanks for any thoughts!

What happens if you lose one of your two discs to the middle of a lake?

I've got water on a few holes at my event and I think the most fair way is to make people play with one disc. I thought about ordering a few extra packs and giving people the option to purchase extras if they lose them but then I'm paying out of pocket for discs I may not need. Say if I order 3 extra packs and have 6 discs total, what happens to the 7th person to lose a disc and I don't have one for them to buy? There is no risk involved for somebody to take a silly line if they can just buy another disc for $10 or whatever.

Obviously nobody plans on losing a disc, but I think the most fair way to handle the situation is to stick to the rules...use only those 2 discs all day. If you lose one, tough luck. The scoring format is different than stroke play in that if I'm scared to lose a disc I can simply skip the hole and take 0 points. There is no penalty for not playing a hole aside from the lost opportunity to score points.

Latest posts