• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Thanks

For me, a beat firm Ibex will keep that anny line, whereas my mediums will always fade at the end. The firm also has less glide. And yeah, it is similar to a Summit, but faster.

I've heard that the Ascent is like a teebird/eagle, or "teagle." My friends agree with that when they see me throw mine. I have two mediums, one at 172 and the other at 152. They are very fun to throw!

Good info. Will be exchanging that lace for an ascent when I can.

Hello fellow Vibramites!...I'm here now to give my initial experiences with Vibram discs...

My first experience was a 157 Summit a couple years ago but found it to be way to light and understable for the wind I was up against most of the time.

Fast forward to a about a month ago, when I decided to look up Vibram again. I liked the descriptions of all the discs...especially the Ridge and Trak. I wanted a putter with very little glide so I picked up 2 firm Ridges. I have only played with them a few rounds, but they are performing as expected. I still need a little more playing time (This summer was a dry discing season because of a summer internship). I also picked up a medium Trak because I wanted a controllable fairway driver. The Trak has flown as advertised, but I fear it may break in to be a little too understable, but for now, it is perfect for that straight or slight left to right line.

And fast forward to today when I received more of the Vibram lineup! (Solace, OLace, Lace, and Obex). I'll post here again after I take a picture and get a chance to try all of them. They aren't special looking but I'm trying to keep to a mostly white, red, and blue Vibram bag, so they're kinda cool in that sense.

I'd shelved most of my Vibrams around November of last year to try out the traditional Roc/Teebird in varying plastics cycle/lineup. It worked fine, not real complaints, I just started missing my Vibrams. My third round back with them and I scored my personal best (-7) at my home course. I think I'll just stick with my Vibrams from now on, thanks!

And a special thanks to the guys who bought my non-Vibram lots! You made the transition easy! ;)

just got my first glow vibram disc. haven't thrown it yet but the rubber feel great.

Vibram wear

How much can I expect my ibexes too change or break in? Do they slowly change all the time like a plastic disc, or settle in? I felt like mine didn't really have a break in period early where they changed each time I hit something, but they are wearing and losing stability at a slow rate? Seem to change if you smack them hard enough to deform them, which can be or is permanent? But they seem to get flexier/deformed as they get older which makes them less stable. At first, I was telling people they don't change, but after getting a second ibex, I can see and feel the difference. Even though it seems to fly very similar. Has anyone had one thoroughly beat for a year and replaced with a new one and noticed a large difference? Do people cycle them like rocks? I got into these after losing a beat rock and realizing it was pretty much irreplaceable without intentionally destroying and beating one in, which I'm not into.
Only been throwing these a couple months.

The discs do have a real tendency to get more understable with time. You can fight this with the microwave trick to restore stability.

The discs do have a real tendency to get more understable with time. You can fight this with the microwave trick to restore stability.
Pretty much this. For me, a regularly used medium Vibram, of any mold, will clearly be less stable than a brand new one after around six months. You can either start a cycle, adding a new one, or you can mostly "reset" the stability of the disc by nuking it in a microwave for 30 or so seconds or doing the boiling water trick. I've not done the microwave one, but I've done the boiling water one. It works really well, IMO.

Pretty much this. For me, a regularly used medium Vibram, of any mold, will clearly be less stable than a brand new one after around six months. You can either start a cycle, adding a new one, or you can mostly "reset" the stability of the disc by nuking it in a microwave for 30 or so seconds or doing the boiling water trick. I've not done the microwave one, but I've done the boiling water one. It works really well, IMO.

Is it an increase in firmness or removal of deformities that brings them back?thanks for the tip.

Is it an increase in firmness or removal of deformities that brings them back?thanks for the tip.
From my experience with Vibrams, as the dome of a given mold drops, it becomes less stable. For example, I have a Ridge which is a little concave on the top, and is much less stable than a fresh Ridge. That's also applicable for the mids and drivers. I had a Lace which basically became flat on top....I did the boiling water trick, restored the dome, and it was back to flying as when I first got it.

So, to answer your question, the microwave and/or boiling water restores the dome to the disc, usually for a few months or more, and thus restores most of the stability.

Those with more experience might be able to speak to this better than I...I've only thrown Vibrams for a little over a year. But, based on my experience, it seems one could quite literally keep "fixing" their Vibrams over and over if they wanted to, and not have to replace them for a very long time.

Glow Ridges; all I need but a big driver during the night round. Fantastic glow ability and retention, making it easy to track and locate. And it flies like how a Ridge should.

From my experience with Vibrams, as the dome of a given mold drops, it becomes less stable. For example, I have a Ridge which is a little concave on the top, and is much less stable than a fresh Ridge. That's also applicable for the mids and drivers. I had a Lace which basically became flat on top....I did the boiling water trick, restored the dome, and it was back to flying as when I first got it.

So, to answer your question, the microwave and/or boiling water restores the dome to the disc, usually for a few months or more, and thus restores most of the stability.

Those with more experience might be able to speak to this better than I...I've only thrown Vibrams for a little over a year. But, based on my experience, it seems one could quite literally keep "fixing" their Vibrams over and over if they wanted to, and not have to replace them for a very long time.

Thanks. Is this technique laid out somewhere in one of the vibram threads?

A few years back Steve Dodge demonstrated the microwave technique to us with moderate success. If anything it seems to cure warpage more than it takes care of sunken tops. Even then, do not discount a Ridge with a sunken top. It seems their putters have almost no glide when new, but after a few hits and when that top starts to sink, magically it develops glide. I am not talking about visible damage or anything, just normal usage seems to give it glide.

I would say you are better off carrying multiple Ridges in different stages of wear, much like what people do with other discs.

How much can I expect my ibexes too change or break in? Do they slowly change all the time like a plastic disc, or settle in? I felt like mine didn't really have a break in period early where they changed each time I hit something, but they are wearing and losing stability at a slow rate? Seem to change if you smack them hard enough to deform them, which can be or is permanent? But they seem to get flexier/deformed as they get older which makes them less stable. At first, I was telling people they don't change, but after getting a second ibex, I can see and feel the difference. Even though it seems to fly very similar. Has anyone had one thoroughly beat for a year and replaced with a new one and noticed a large difference? Do people cycle them like rocks? I got into these after losing a beat rock and realizing it was pretty much irreplaceable without intentionally destroying and beating one in, which I'm not into.
Only been throwing these a couple months.

They beat-in a little initially. Then they hold that stability for a while. After repeated use, they might lose some of their original shape, when you can try the microwave trick to restore their original shape. (I haven't tried this yet, because I cycle my Vibrams with new ones coming in and old ones being used for left-hand throws and tailwind shots).

Mid-ranges beat-in less than the faster discs, because they hit the ground at slower speeds on average than the faster discs. The putters take the longest to beat-in.

Sunken top drivers

Took my lace out yesterday cause it was windy out and I always enjoy making my way to park and tossing into and with the wind. Anyway, the disc had a sunken top when I got it. Is it safe to assume the top sometime fills up with air and stays up into a head wind and sometimes it gets pushed down when launched? Will it fly drastically different based on launch angle and wind against the dome forcing it up or down? Can it be expected to be highly unreliable due to the top? Mine seems to fly wonky? Can't trust it or launch it consistently, I only threw one with it I really liked and it seemed to be just cause I cought a wind just right. Can anyone speak to how drivers fly with a sunken top after throwing them like that. Can they fly reliably and be trusted. How long can you keep a driver before experiencing sunken top?

They may become available again in late October/November, at the end of Softober. That is when the Vibram Store had them available last year.

I guilty contributed to derailing the Petition Vibram thread recently and thought I'd bring the discussion over here to see if any others had some input.

I'd certainly never dissuade somebody from trying to get the mold they want from the company they want. I hope this dude gets his disc.

BUT, I've been really disappointed in how slowly Vibram has grown their lineup. This is partly because the most recent three molds have all been high speed drivers of relatively utility-esque stabilities, i.e. very niche releases. The company just seems to have stagnated where other up-and-comers have really pushed to expand their lineup.

I like Vibram's brand vibe, and think they make quality products: I love the feel of Medium X-link, and also rock a pair of Five Fingers. But, it's hard to feel that they're committed to truly rounding out their lineup given the rate at which they've been moving. I have to wonder if the lawsuit over Five Fingers has anything to do with that.

Just want to emphasize how much I love the Vibram products I use. I've putted with VPs for over a year now, and am yet to find a material I like the feel of for putting anywhere near as much as Medium X-link. If I decide to try something else out a Ridge will be my first stop, given how much I love the feel. I also love Laces, and have found they mold up very consistently for the most part for me: at 350'-375' ft of power, low 160s have a ton of turn, mid to upper 160s are very workable, and 170s+ are great straight/stable fliers. I haven't encountered any drastic deviations from this pattern in the 8-10 Laces I've thrown. It's a great, great distance driver.

Point being: I complain because I love their brand, and would like to support them more. But the reality is that they've done a poor job of developing their lineup over the past two years. I think it'd be hard to argue otherwise. They've done other things to promote themselves - Birdie Bashes, the Vibram Open, and the like - which is good for them, but for the average Joe disc golfer like me who supports and engages with a company primarily through throwing and talking about their molds, they haven't given me much to grow with in the time I've been playing.

Sorry, OP, I don't mean to derail the thread! I just equate Vibram with a tinge of sadness at the painfully slow growth of their lineup at this point, and like to talk about it.

So what do others think - has Vibram actually done a poor job of rounding out there lineup? Or am I just being a whiny forum-goer? While I think Vibram has in general displayed a marked, earnest interest in listening and responding to their consumers, I feel like they seem oblivious to how slowly they release new molds and an apparently lacking sense of incompleteness. I don't bag a lot of molds, but I would truly feel like I had an incomplete bag if I only threw Vibram, just as an illustration of how lacking their lineup is, however many years in they are.

Thoughts?