• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

If they are slick give them a bath with soapy water. Sometimes the release agent doesn't come all the way off and it can make them slick.

Soft is the ultimate form telling disc. Lots of people only use soft to practice with as it shows flaws much easier.

If they are slick give them a bath with soapy water. Sometimes the release agent doesn't come all the way off and it can make them slick.

Just soaked the Summit in soap water for half hour or so, and scrubbed them too. Didn't help, still very slick and floppy, not very good combination...

Still, just order a Soft Ridge.

Several of my older soft discs are super slick and no amount of washing will change it. I don't remember them being that way when I first got them. I just attributed it to the way that particular soft compound ages. The newer ones are noticeably different (picked up last Oct). Much tackier and seem to be staying that way, even when dirty. I just made up my mind to get fresh softies every few years. The new ones seem to fly exactly like the old ones for me anyway, so no big deal.

FWIW, I believe those slick softys were purchased about 3-4 years ago.

Several of my older soft discs are super slick and no amount of washing will change it. I don't remember them being that way when I first got them. I just attributed it to the way that particular soft compound ages. The newer ones are noticeably different (picked up last Oct). Much tackier and seem to be staying that way, even when dirty. I just made up my mind to get fresh softies every few years. The new ones seem to fly exactly like the old ones for me anyway, so no big deal.

FWIW, I believe those slick softys were purchased about 3-4 years ago.

Yep, soft starts out super tacky but eventually dries and becomes slicker with age. Once they get dried out soapy water won't help. Buying a new one will.

You can try and condition an old soft but they do absorb your hand oils so that doesn't help.

I'm extremely excited about the Vamp. Been working the Valley in a lot lately and its slowly breaking in. Wonder if the Vamp is going to finally kick the Valkyrie out of the bag.

Just checked the Vibram site to see if Glow was available yet...Nope. BUT, I did see that Float Rubber Obex was available in Swirl for $19.95. Extremely lightweight, 130-139 and 140-149.

Anyone tried one yet?

Just checked the Vibram site to see if Glow was available yet...Nope. BUT, I did see that Float Rubber Obex was available in Swirl for $19.95. Extremely lightweight, 130-139 and 140-149.

Anyone tried one yet?

Spoke with Steve Dodge about the Float Discs. They are prototypes, only available on the Vibram Disc Golf website. Also SWIRL is an error, all the Float Discs are solid white. According to Steve, adding color changed the specific gravity and did not allow the discs to float.

Spoke with Steve Dodge about the Float Discs. They are prototypes, only available on the Vibram Disc Golf website. Also SWIRL is an error, all the Float Discs are solid white. According to Steve, adding color changed the specific gravity and did not allow the discs to float.

I have thrown a few, decent stability for the weight.

Nice info on the color change and float issues.

Bought Soft Ridge. Feels very good in hand, and flies dead straight. Reminds me of my Colts (albeit shorter) which is good, I was looking for more durable replacement for those. Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable with the sloppyness on touch approaches or forehands, so I guess I will still keep Colt. For full power drives the sloppyness doesn't seem to be so big problem. The softness also renders Ridge useless for me as a putting putter. It feels great in hand but the results look like dying butterfly.

Bought Soft Ridge. Feels very good in hand, and flies dead straight. Reminds me of my Colts (albeit shorter) which is good, I was looking for more durable replacement for those. Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable with the sloppyness on touch approaches or forehands, so I guess I will still keep Colt. For full power drives the sloppyness doesn't seem to be so big problem. The softness also renders Ridge useless for me as a putting putter. It feels great in hand but the results look like dying butterfly.

Keep working with it. That is about all I use a soft Ridge for..approaches. Very reliable for me in that slot. Never tried forehands with it....might have to see what it'll do there.

I have plenty of non-fixable form issues. Bad back and bad shoulder stuff. I use soft for my longest drives with both distance and fairway drivers and the soft Ridge replaced my Pure as my most reliable driving putter. If it weren't for the putting thing and Vibram's lack of a deep midrange lineup, I'd probably use almost all softs.