• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update for the warped summit...

Placed it in the microwave, rim down. Put a small plate (upside down) on it that rested only on the rim, this made sure I didn't cave in the top...how I had a plate that was the same diameter of my disc...good deal! I then placed a bowl (upside down) on top for added weight. Placed a damp towel covering the whole set-up and nuked it 3 times for 15 second bursts. Did this at night when the house was very cool. Opened the door and left it sitting there for about 30 minutes while it got back to (cool) room temp. Reduced the warping significantly.

I have yet to flight test it, but I'm going to Stafford Lake tomorrow and will put it through its paces then.

If Steve could tell us what the mold temperature of the discs is, it may be possible to use an oven heated close, not at or above the molding temperature to reduce warping.

To those of you using Traks, do any of you use (or used to use) Rivers too? How do the two compare for you, do they overlap, do you use both?

I throw rivers. got a trak just to try it. my trak was much more stable than my rivers. my rivers can be thrown flat for a nice turnover shot. i couldnt turn the trak without an anhyzer release. and even then it fought out fast. Much less glide, too.

Got my trak and have been throwing it for two days now. So this is some early thoughts on it. Like I said I bought it in hope that it would be the understable counterpart to my now rip ascent.

Like previously stated it throws pretty much like my star eagle which has me very disappointed. I feel like it glides further than my eagle. My trak has that hst but fades out of it hard. Putting it on annies it tries to turn out. I really was looking for a flat release disc that would have that easy right turn with little fade. At this point it's not it at all.

I have plenty of room in my bag so I'll keep it around but I don't see myself throwing it on the course when I have my eagle. Maybe down the road it will beat in a little and perform as advertised. I really want it to as I love the feel of it and how easy it comes out of my hand.

Maybe down the road it will beat in a little and perform as advertised. I really want it to as I love the feel of it and how easy it comes out of my hand.

It might not. Mine has stayed just like the flight chart when I rip it right.

Got my trak and have been throwing it for two days now. So this is some early thoughts on it. Like I said I bought it in hope that it would be the understable counterpart to my now rip ascent.

Like previously stated it throws pretty much like my star eagle which has me very disappointed. I feel like it glides further than my eagle. My trak has that hst but fades out of it hard. Putting it on annies it tries to turn out. I really was looking for a flat release disc that would have that easy right turn with little fade. At this point it's not it at all.

I have plenty of room in my bag so I'll keep it around but I don't see myself throwing it on the course when I have my eagle. Maybe down the road it will beat in a little and perform as advertised. I really want it to as I love the feel of it and how easy it comes out of my hand.

What plastic firmness did you get? I have had three different traks now (two medium and one firm), and my firm one was by far the less stable of the three. It would hyzer flip pretty easy for it. The mediums I have if thrown level and nose down will glide a LONG ways with little to no hst and only a touch of fade. My 169 medium has traveled 405-410 ft with no fade or hst at all before.

Steve, I have a question. Can you make meatier Ascents ?

Now, some backstory.

I'm on my second Ascent. The first was a firm. It started out like I expected it to be, overstable compared to an Eagle X, with a reliable turn and pretty quick fade, which is exactly the slot I needed to fill.

It changed pretty quick, less than 6 months of regular use, to something more like an Eagle L, which I already have and love. I play wooded courses, so it wasnt babied, but it lost the flight characteristics I need it for.

I replaced it with a regular X Link, which I'm using now. It also started out very stable/overstable, but its also starting to change a bit.

Now, I know this is great from a profit standpoint for you guys, because I gotta keep buying these, but I figure if I had ones that started out even more overstable, it would be good economics for me, because I would have to replace them less, so I feel like I should ask, even if you say " No soup for you ! "

I want more meaty meat burger stable ones, can you have your crack team of world renowned scientists come up with a more overstable rubber formula they can cook up in the same mold ?
Have you messed around with different formulas to vary stability within a mold yet ?

Signed;
Flippy from Seattle.

To those of you using Traks, do any of you use (or used to use) Rivers too? How do the two compare for you, do they overlap, do you use both?

I'm currently going through this shakedown myself. I've got a 175 M Trak, a 170 GL River, and a 176 Opto River. I got a little fairway driver happy with these discs. IME, which isn't very long, my Rivers will beat the Trak on glide, while the Trak will stick landings. I played a course yesterday where I threw the Trak and 170 GL River from the tee and both were pretty straight for me and flew similar paths - it was the landings that differed. When I want and can afford a skip, I'll throw the River. When I want a stuck landing, I'll throw the Trak. I'm still trying to figure out which River I should keep throwing, though. So far, they both have a place in my bag.

I have an Ibex that I'm testing against my Buzz, but I haven't been playing at many courses where I'll have to take them out or throw from the tee.

I also have a summit (175 F) and Ridge (175 M) that I'm trying to work into my driving or P/A putters. Currently I've got an Omega SS that's doing most of my putting. That may change if I can get a hold of some Soft X-Links.

I'm currently going through this shakedown myself. I've got a 175 M Trak, a 170 GL River, and a 176 Opto River. I got a little fairway driver happy with these discs. IME, which isn't very long, my Rivers will beat the Trak on glide, while the Trak will stick landings. I played a course yesterday where I threw the Trak and 170 GL River from the tee and both were pretty straight for me and flew similar paths - it was the landings that differed. When I want and can afford a skip, I'll throw the River. When I want a stuck landing, I'll throw the Trak. I'm still trying to figure out which River I should keep throwing, though. So far, they both have a place in my bag.

I have an Ibex that I'm testing against my Buzz, but I haven't been playing at many courses where I'll have to take them out or throw from the tee.

I also have a summit (175 F) and Ridge (175 M) that I'm trying to work into my driving or P/A putters. Currently I've got an Omega SS that's doing most of my putting. That may change if I can get a hold of some Soft X-Links.

When I first got my Ibex, I also tested it against my Buzzz, and it almost beat it out of the bag. I really like the Buzzz's flight path, and for me, my Buzzz's fly slightly faster and further. When it comes to slow speed approaches and control shots, my Ibex is money.

When I first got my Ibex, I also tested it against my Buzzz, and it almost beat it out of the bag. I really like the Buzzz's flight path, and for me, my Buzzz's fly slightly faster and further. When it comes to slow speed approaches and control shots, my Ibex is money.

I felt the same way for a while. But once my ibex got a little wear on it, it I started to notice it gliding more and carrying farther than the buzzz. It has now completely knocked the Buzzz out of my bag.

Thanks for the input on the trak/river. Anyone have any pain/fuse vs ibex/obex combo opinions?

Also, i'm not sure if I missed something, but my older medium vibrams definitely have a different feel to the rubber than the newer ones. The older ones felt more rubbery and the newer ones have more of a satin feel to them, and not quite as grippy or rubbery feel to them. I like the old ones a lot better :(

What plastic firmness did you get? I have had three different traks now (two medium and one firm), and my firm one was by far the less stable of the three. It would hyzer flip pretty easy for it. The mediums I have if thrown level and nose down will glide a LONG ways with little to no hst and only a touch of fade. My 169 medium has traveled 405-410 ft with no fade or hst at all before.

I have a 172 M Trak. After playing a round at a middle school yesterday with just my trak, eagle and a putter throwing both the trak and eagle on every shot I am finding differences. The trak does glide forever. And after some practice it's holding annies better. I have a big bag and have room for it so it will stay and I'll keep working with it.

Thanks for the input on the trak/river. Anyone have any pain/fuse vs ibex/obex combo opinions?
>snip<

Depending on how fast my order from DGC gets here (I ordered two discs and they're sending by USPS), I will have a 158 M Ascent and 158 M Obex to add to my Vibram collection. I'm still trying to figure out what weight works well for me (with all my discs not just Vibram), so I'll have quite a few Vibrams when I'm done. I'll test out my Ibex vs Buzzz today on some holes, but from what I remember, my Ibex (178 M) doesn't fly nearly as far or fast as the Buzz.

Having made the transition from Colroado down to North Carolina for Worlds and now back to Colorado, I have learned a few things about the stability of Vibram discs. It will be different at different altitudes so lets be kind in the way we review these discs.

There has been a lot of talk about the Trak. Here in Colorado it is a very straight disc and a slow consistent fade at the end. In North Carolina the Trak is a consistant understable disc. It is very easy to predict the high speed turn and you are not likely to see any fade at the end.

The Ibex has a lot of the same characteristics as the Trak in both places.

Has there been any news on the vibram high speed driver as of late? Or has anyone here held one/thrown one?

I fondled the prototype at Worlds and was confused as to why it wasn't given away at the Fly Mart (it was advertised as a prize).

I'm also wondering who won the tester team spot from the Fly Mart... I suppose I'd have heard by now if it was me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts