• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a soft Summit today from my local shop, and it is awesome. There are some precarious greens at my course, where there are drop offs if you overshoot the basket and a lot of slick ground around them, and this thing just wanted to stop where it landed. It was also fun for flicking out of trouble. I even putted with it for the whole round, and while it looks ugly coming out of the hand and flopping toward the basket, it wanted to find chains the whole time. I plan on picking up a medium in the very near future to drive with.

While I am on Vibram, I have a question about the Ibex: What can it do that my Buzzz can't? I have really been clicking lately with my ESP FLX Buzzz, especially on low lines, but I wanna check out an Ibex. Does the Ibex hold low lines well, or does it like height? Can the two coexist, or is it going to be a waste for me to check out the Ibex if the Buzzz is staying in the bag? Last question: My Buzzz is 171 g I think. Should I stick around the same weight for an Ibex, or a tick lower? I recall reading that the Ibex needs a bit more oomph to go, so I wasn't sure where I should go with weights.

Holy cow, that was a lot of stuff to talk about. Sorry. Thanks for reading.

My FLX Buzzz got kicked out of my bag over a year ago by my favorite disc ever, the Element in E HPP plastic. Less fade (meaning zero!) for me for the Ibex compared to a Buzzz, and although FLX ESP plastic is tough, the Ibex is friggin' bulletproof, figuratively speaking. I use it wherever there are trees, and I've found that if I'm not worried about my disc getting banged up or tacoed from a tree, I usually miss the tree. A bit of a confidence boost of sorts. Ibex will also put the brakes on quick when it lands, just like any other Vibram mold. I throw all 175 for putters and mids, so I can't really comment on weight.

Thanks Kutz, this all sounds awesome. Any weight preference compared to a Buzzz?

I use them in pretty much the same weights, but my Ibexes tend to run close to max weight than my Buzzzes do if that's any help. My main Buzzz is 170g and I can get it out to about 350 fairly consistently; my main Ibex is a medium firmness and 176g.

EDIT: I also have a 173 Ibex that I will throw in the bag on occasion. The same is true about it as my 176g Ibex. One thing I forgot to mention before is about Ibexes in the wind... Compared to a Buzzz, they don't like headwinds quite as much, but they hold their lines much MUCH better in a crosswind.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I decided to pick up a medium Ibex, 170 grams, which is a tick or two lower than my FLX Buzzz. Hoping I can get the Ibex up to speed, since that is the knock I read on it in another thread.

Thanks guys. I decided to pick up a medium Ibex, 170 grams, which is a tick or two lower than my FLX Buzzz. Hoping I can get the Ibex up to speed, since that is the knock I read on it in another thread.

You'll probably like the Ibex. It's a great disc. Give it the dish soap wash as soon as you get it. Medium Vibrams are great in wet and cold conditions.

Note: I haven't noticed a problem getting the Ibex up to speed.

Ok great! I also got my Trak in the mail today (I went a little Vibram crazy in the last week or so) and took it out to the field for a few tosses. It's just point and shoot, I like it a lot. Couldn't hyzer flip it yet though. But it will be fun to throw at the local course. I did feel it was slower than I expected, though. Not sure if that is due to actual speed, or just being able to see multiple colors spinning through the air (I always think tie dye discs look slow, too).

take some windex to your discs, that removes the grease and oils and makes your discs grippy as heck.

My 1st run Summit is impervious to this. I've tried Borax, windex, pretty much every degreaser I can think of. Just reverts back to dusty slick in no time. It's kind of crazy.

My 1st run Summit is impervious to this. I've tried Borax, windex, pretty much every degreaser I can think of. Just reverts back to dusty slick in no time. It's kind of crazy.
my comment was mostly about other plastics, but i did notice what you said to be true also. I gave my trak and ibex multiple washes course time etc to no evail. Found a trak on the course one day no name/number and it was grippy as all get out. I did not keep them around for long because of this too.

I have a Ti Buzzz, a Z Buzzz, a KC Pro Roc, and a XG Roc+ in my bag. I've been hearing a lot about the Ibex and I want to give it a shot. With such a selection in my bag, should I still look into the Ibex to possibly boot 1 or 2 disc out of my bag?

Just wanted to show off my sweet Trak that came in the mail yesterday:

IMAG0285 by Steve@RattlingChains, on Flickr

I am drinking the Vibram Kool-Aid, and so far it is delicious. I am way late to the party.

By my own experience, I would say vibram is the premium manufacturer when it comes to consistency and quality of molds. No one else seems to always make winning discs like Vibram. If I could only throw Vibram and still meet the slots I want in my bag, I would.

Sweet Trak btw.

Last edited:
I want one of those sweeeeeeetttt American Flag colored Ascent/Traks that they have on the official Vibram videos. If I could find one I would pay mucho dinero for it. So cool looking.

There is a few Vibram colors I've seen that I would never throw because they would blend in, but their colors are mostly radically awesomely bright. The poster above with that Trak is awesome. Wish I could find one like that, too.

@Kutz167,

Give it a few more years. Vibram already has a solid putter line. Their midrange and fairway drivers are solid as well. The only discs they don't have yet are the distance drivers and understable discs. Trust me, once you start throwing Vibram and keeping them in your bag you won't go back. Eventually Vibram will come out with a disc for every shot just like Innova & Discraft. A perfect example would be the new long range driver called the Lace that Vibram is putting out soon!

@Kutz167,

Give it a few more years. Vibram already has a solid putter line. Their midrange and fairway drivers are solid as well. The only discs they don't have yet are the distance drivers and understable discs. Trust me, once you start throwing Vibram and keeping them in your bag you won't go back. Eventually Vibram will come out with a disc for every shot just like Innova & Discraft. A perfect example would be the new long range driver called the Lace that Vibram is putting out soon!

I already throw vibram mids, fairways, and putters. I can't wait for the Lace, and I wish Vibram had something akin to a drone in their lineup. Vibram has yet to do anything other than impress me. You would be amazed by people's reaction when I hand them a Vibram disc and they throw out for the first time.

I want one of those sweeeeeeetttt American Flag colored Ascent/Traks that they have on the official Vibram videos. If I could find one I would pay mucho dinero for it. So cool looking.

There is a few Vibram colors I've seen that I would never throw because they would blend in, but their colors are mostly radically awesomely bright. The poster above with that Trak is awesome. Wish I could find one like that, too.

Got the Trak from discgolfcenter.com, and they had a few more in a similar color scheme.

I already throw vibram mids, fairways, and putters. I can't wait for the Lace, and I wish Vibram had something akin to a drone in their lineup. Vibram has yet to do anything other than impress me. You would be amazed by people's reaction when I hand them a Vibram disc and they throw out for the first time.

I am really digging the Trak so far, but I don't know if I will be able to bag the Lace. Judging by the pictures posted here, it looks like the rim is too big for what I can handle. I'd be willing to give it a shot if they can crank it out in 150 class, but I would be more apt to throw a Vibram control driver in the speed 9-10 range.

@Kutz167,

The Trak is pretty understable, or at least it can be made to fly that way. The Lace is pretty exciting, if only it had a cooler name...:doh:

Just did the ol' soap and water wash with my Trak, and it is griptastic! Thanks for the tips!

Is this worth trying with my soft Summit, or is the soft rubber too porous compared to the medium? (I don't know if that would even be a thing, but it would seem to me the soft rubber would be more prone to water damage than medium for some reason.)

I must have misread your post! That's awesome. I always admired Vibram's molds then finally purchased a couple and was hooked from then on. I can't wait for the Lace either. It's going to be sick. I don't know if Vibram will put out anything more overstable than the Obex but you never know. I can see them coming out with a specifically understable mid and a very overstable mid in the future sometime. I hope they continue to work on their distance drivers now though. I would like to see a disc similar to an Innova Firebird. Firebirds are complete money and are so consistent. Also a disc like a Valkyrie would be very successful as well I think.

Just did the ol' soap and water wash with my Trak, and it is griptastic! Thanks for the tips!

Is this worth trying with my soft Summit, or is the soft rubber too porous compared to the medium? (I don't know if that would even be a thing, but it would seem to me the soft rubber would be more prone to water damage than medium for some reason.)

I did it to my soft Sole, and holy scooby snacks, Shaggy! It is GRIPPPPPPPY! So your Summit should be fine I would think.

found a prototype vibram wide rim driver on ebay (lace).

anyone gotten thier hands around it? description said it was flying like a 12/5/3/3.

im pumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts