• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did the ol' soap and water wash with my Trak, and it is griptastic! Thanks for the tips!

Is this worth trying with my soft Summit, or is the soft rubber too porous compared to the medium? (I don't know if that would even be a thing, but it would seem to me the soft rubber would be more prone to water damage than medium for some reason.)

Soap and water wash, eh?
I'll have to try this on an Ascent I got. Right now it's so slippery feeling that I put it up on the trade list.
:|

I used a citrus wash on all of my Vibram discs right out of the box. Definitely makes a huge difference once that slippery crap is gone. Dish soap should do It though.. Just need something to cut the grease.

Went out for my first Vibram-only round late this afternoon, and thought I would share my experience for mass consumption.

My local course has a few open holes, but most require tighter, more technical shots, so this setup worked pretty well. I brought:

-Medium Trak (off the tee for 10 holes, should have used it less)
-Medium Ibex (off the tee for 6 holes, plus midrange duties; should have driven with it more)
-Medium Summit (off the tee for 2 holes)
-Soft Summit (putting, get out of trouble approaches)

All in all, it was a fun, simple set of discs. My choices were limited, which meant I had to make the discs work for me. Most of the time, they did. When they didn't, I tended to blame myself more than the disc. A few observations:

1) Not sure I am clicking with the Trak yet. It is a bit more stable than I was expecting, and I like understable discs. That being said, it did get me comparable distance to the Roadrunner I normally take off the tee.
2) It took me about 2/3 of the round to really figure out the Ibex. I was trying to arm it too much to begin with, and it would track left and stay on that line most of the time. Once I figured out that it likes a little less arm and more snap, I was able to dial it in and hit some really tight gaps with it.
3) The Ibex is sneaky long. There were a couple throws where I went to my spot, and had to go another 15 or so feet ahead to get the disc. I like that.
4) I am not sure if the Ibex will take over the Buzzz spot in my bag for low lines yet, mostly because it took off on me when I wasn't snapping it well. I think if I get to learn it better, though, it will shine. It did get knocked around in some crosswinds, though, and I may need to add an Obex if I wanna keep the Vibram kick going.
5) The Medium Summit holds boomerang-shaped anhyzers without burning. Super useful disc.
6) The Soft Summit is my favorite disc in this group. Any time I was in trouble, I could use this thing to flick out of it for a nice, soft landing. It almost bounced off a bush and into the basket on a drive, and I nailed a tasty 60-footer to save par late in the round after I shanked the Ibex. Just a tremendous tool to have in the box of tricks.

I plan on sticking with this setup for a couple weeks, until the winds pick up more, to see what I can do with it. I like the simplification, but I am realizing I need to work on my snap some more to really unlock their true potential. Whatever happens, the Summit has a spot in the bag. The others might make it, but either way it is going to be fun to see what happens. Thanks for reading.

I'm surprised you really like the soft summit that much for putting. I have a soft summit and if I hit the pole with it it will bounce straight back out towards me. Admittedly its the same consistency as a superball for me right now because of the temperature. Either way, I prefer upshots with the soft and putts with the medium.

Before i knew about vibram i was a magnet/challenger guy. I liked the stability of the challenger but i didnt like how it was so rounded with no finger groove. But i also like the magnet because of the finger groove but i didnt like the understability. Now i have met the perfect combination that is perfect: Vibram Sole. I picked up 2 from gotta go gotta throw, and im am now addicted. I also own a trak ascent and ibex as well and they are slowly but surely replacing discs in my bag because of their great plastics and durability

I'm surprised you really like the soft summit that much for putting. I have a soft summit and if I hit the pole with it it will bounce straight back out towards me. Admittedly its the same consistency as a superball for me right now because of the temperature. Either way, I prefer upshots with the soft and putts with the medium.

I did have a chain out with the soft, but I hit a bad spot in the basket. It never looks pretty coming out, but I can just toss the softie nice and straight.

I did have a chain out with the soft, but I hit a bad spot in the basket. It never looks pretty coming out, but I can just toss the softie nice and straight.

Actually, do you spin put or push putt? I think it only may have been an issue because I only spin putt.

Have any of the testers received the more stable Lace protos that Steve was talking about after the first protos came out way too understable? Or are these still being tweaked? Anybody know?

Based on initial feedback, we will be developing a more overstable version that will work well for faster throwers. Chris and Dana are being kind with their reviews, but imo, the disc is too understable for them to throw consistently. No worry fellas, we'll get you some overstable versions to test in the next month or so. Just so everyone knows, I am having doubts that these will be out this year. Please stay tuned.

This is what I was referring to for the more stable proto Vibram is tweaking.

Before i knew about vibram i was a magnet/challenger guy. I liked the stability of the challenger but i didnt like how it was so rounded with no finger groove. But i also like the magnet because of the finger groove but i didnt like the understability. Now i have met the perfect combination that is perfect: Vibram Sole. I picked up 2 from gotta go gotta throw, and im am now addicted. I also own a trak ascent and ibex as well and they are slowly but surely replacing discs in my bag because of their great plastics and durability

I couldn't get used to the Sole after Magnets. Too overstable in comparison. Lemme know if you want to trade for/buy a pink and yellow firm!:D

For all of you who have complained about Vibram being slippery out of the box. I have found recently that the stuff Vibram sends to their retailers are usually ready to go without washing. That being said, just was them with something that cuts grease and you will be fine.

Saw that Mr. Dodge and Dana were out at DN today giving the new driver a promo. Did anyone on here make it out for that?

We tested some different colors of the Lace. Each color was intended to be different stability.

The white ones had enough stabilty to be useful for me. They flipped up on shots over 450 and had good forward fade. The orange had more turn and were easy to work but on longer shots the fade started to disappear. Kinda like a 6/10 destroyer. The blue ones were understable and would be great for low power arms needing a controlled distance driver. Reminded me of a King

It's a very nice first distance driver by Vibram. Lots of glide and really fast out of the hand. I got a roller that would have gone 500+ if the shagger hadn't stopped it. Great forward carry at the end of the flight(no dump out). It seemed like everyone else was getting great shots with it as well.

So I've looked through most of this thread and I have a question....

I currently putt Innova PnA's and want something more stable. I'm a hyzer putter also. I dont like big beads but a smallish bead is doable. What would you guys recommend? I also like a smaller profile but overstability is a must.

I would recommend a medium Sole. It has a similar feel to the PnA and is closer in stability to the BB Aviar without the bead.

My 1st run Summit is impervious to this. I've tried Borax, windex, pretty much every degreaser I can think of. Just reverts back to dusty slick in no time. It's kind of crazy.

At the Disc Nation Ibex/Obex/Lace demo/test-fly, someone mentioned that they accidentally threw one of their Vibrams into the ocean and when they retrieved it it had gotten much of its griptastic feel back. If you try a salt water bath, let me know how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.