• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Five Fingers KSO

call me old school but i will stick with old fashioned socks and shoes

Actually, if you were really old school, you wouldn't be wearing shoes. Being an Anthropology major, it only made sense for me to start wearing these because our feet took thousands of years to evolve into the shape that they are. Then we go and ruin it by putting big soles on our feet that change our gait to an unnatural one.

These Vibrams are a great compromise b/c you don't have to worry about broken glass, hookworm, etc yet you're still basically barefoot.

do you guys have the socks that go with then or just go barefoot in them??

You can wear toe socks with them but it might be a VERY tight fit. i wear them barefoot and it doesnt seem like theres any more rooms for a sock.

well vibram makes "special" toe socks for them that are pretty thin kinda like hiking undersocks and. I was wondering how those were.

I've had a pair of Treksports for about a month now, and definitely enjoy them. I never had a problem with foot or any muscle aches and pains from wearing these, and they were pretty comfortable right out of the box. I'd compare wearing these to having gloves on your feet. The nice thing about Treksports is they combine the breathability of the KSO with the treads of the Trek. The sole is thin enough that you feel every contour of uneven ground, but thick enough that stepping on a stone or something sharp is not painful. The grip with these shoes is terrific.

A few minor inconveniences and issues:
- Watch where you are walking. There is no padding between your actual toe and the end of the shoe, so stubbing a toe is quite painful. I haven't actually dislocated or broken anything, as I read in this thread somewhere.

- Smell - can become an issue. The shoes are machine washable, however. I've washed them once and they came out very clean, though they smell again a few days later. Nothing too bad, though. Be sure not to put them in the dryer, as the heat will melt the glues that hold the materials together.

- Wildflowers/weeds/grass: Some courses with tall grass with seeds, or flowering plants can sometimes be annoying to walk through. When you walk through this type of habitat, flowers and seeds tend to get caught between the toes. While not uncomfortable, it's more of an annoyance to feel these between your toes, or to look down and see a collection of flowers, etc.

Can't say these shoes have helped my disc golf game, but I'm relatively new and vast improvements here will take time.

Overall the joy of wearing these shoes overwhelmingly overshadows any of the minor inconveniences with wearing something so unusual. I love my shoes and would recommend them to any person who enjoys the outdoors.

ha I'm just messing with ya. and yeah when I was trying them on the guy I was talkin to said something about that

I live in Madison. If you're ever in my neck of the woods to play some disc, PM me.

I don't go to Madison much but I would love to play some new courses. My friend was just tellin me about a course around there he played call Valarta or somethin. Is actually in Deforest I think?

They suck because they don't fit my weird feet.

Vibram should make a custom version.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I've had a pair of Treksports for about a month now, and definitely enjoy them. I never had a problem with foot or any muscle aches and pains from wearing these, and they were pretty comfortable right out of the box. I'd compare wearing these to having gloves on your feet. The nice thing about Treksports is they combine the breathability of the KSO with the treads of the Trek. The sole is thin enough that you feel every contour of uneven ground, but thick enough that stepping on a stone or something sharp is not painful. The grip with these shoes is terrific.

A few minor inconveniences and issues:
- Watch where you are walking. There is no padding between your actual toe and the end of the shoe, so stubbing a toe is quite painful. I haven't actually dislocated or broken anything, as I read in this thread somewhere.

- Smell - can become an issue. The shoes are machine washable, however. I've washed them once and they came out very clean, though they smell again a few days later. Nothing too bad, though. Be sure not to put them in the dryer, as the heat will melt the glues that hold the materials together.

- Wildflowers/weeds/grass: Some courses with tall grass with seeds, or flowering plants can sometimes be annoying to walk through. When you walk through this type of habitat, flowers and seeds tend to get caught between the toes. While not uncomfortable, it's more of an annoyance to feel these between your toes, or to look down and see a collection of flowers, etc.

Can't say these shoes have helped my disc golf game, but I'm relatively new and vast improvements here will take time.

Overall the joy of wearing these shoes overwhelmingly overshadows any of the minor inconveniences with wearing something so unusual. I love my shoes and would recommend them to any person who enjoys the outdoors.

ha I'm just messing with ya. and yeah when I was trying them on the guy I was talkin to said something about that

:thmbup:

Last edited:
do you guys have the socks that go with then or just go barefoot in them??

I always wear socks with my KSO Treks, and sometimes now with my regular KSOs. All depends if I plan on getting wet. The socks do keep your feet a bit warmer, they keep mud (dust) from building up in the shoes, and they keep the shoes from smelling.

well vibram makes "special" toe socks for them that are pretty thin kinda like hiking undersocks and. I was wondering how those were.

The Injinji socks are brilliant! If you aren't walking through rivers or lakes with your FiveFingers, you should wear a pair of socks with them.

how nasty do they end up smelling?

If you don't wash them, they do begin to get pretty rank. but washing them or wearing socks keeps the smell away.

No, second toe is longer than the big toe. I've heard many others have the same issue and there was talk that Vibram would eventually address the issue somehow.

My 2nd toe is slightly larger than my big toe, and I don't have a problem with them. :\

Having less evolved feet can be a pain though.

my gf just ordered some, im not sold on the idea yet

Latest posts