• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Five Fingers KSO

I would really like to try these. My concern though is if I am barefoot I have to be on soft ground. Walking on cement and hard dirt kills my feet so I really wonder if these would actually work for me.

I'm a tenderfoot myself and I haven't had much of a problem at all, you just have to ease into wearing them. Once you start adjusting your walk from the heel-to-toe style you developed from wearing shoes to the way you're feet were designed to walk, hard surfaces and even gravel doesn't feel that bad.

I'm going to have to try that lavender oil trick, that should come in handy. I know my usual DG shoes are pretty rank. :sick:

I'm a tenderfoot myself and I haven't had much of a problem at all, you just have to ease into wearing them. Once you start adjusting your walk from the heel-to-toe style you developed from wearing shoes to the way you're feet were designed to walk, hard surfaces and even gravel doesn't feel that bad.

I'm going to have to try that lavender oil trick, that should come in handy. I know my usual DG shoes are pretty rank. :sick:

Yeah it works great. I put on wayyy too much the first time and I smelled like lavender for like a 5 radius. completely cancelled out the cheese though, 100%. i don't feel any less masculine saying that i love the smell either.

are they they same pair or have you replaced them? i got my first pair a few weeks ago and just wondering the durability of these things

Same pair. They hold up wonderfully. After a year and a half I'm just now having a few seams look loose, but absolutely nothing that makes me need a new pair any time soon (unless I just decide I want a new pair for the heck of it which is a big possibility).

Curious as to the few who purchased these a couple months ago if they are still holding up. I met a dger recently at a local tournament who was using them and he said they held up quite well (I didn't pay much attention to his technique, but I know I drag my foot a bit, especially on concrete tees, it shows on my shoes). I went to local store to purchase some and the sales clerk told me that I would destroy them quickly playing disc golf and had a friend that went through a pair in about a month, ripping the right side of the right foot's sole off. I really want a pair though, because I enjoy barefoot. I'm just not sure if they would get the use if used them outside of discgolf.
Also, did using these for discgolf change your form from a foot dragger to not? I know they correct your walking/running stature, just curious that if I'm a foot dragger now, if I bought these, would it correct itself once I became used to the shoe.

They have held up longer than any tennis shoe I have owned over the past year. I have two pairs of new balances (all terrains) that are completely ruined from pivoting. One of those pairs were falling apart after 1 day of disc golf. I have one pair of nikes that got completely destroyed from pivoting in about 3 months.

Nothing has started falling apart on my Vibram KSO treks however. Sometimes I just don't want to play in them though, esp when the grass is really tall. LEGS ON FIAH! Once I ruin these last pair of new balances...prlly gonna get some keens or something of the like.

mine have held up great besides the obvious dirtyness they are pretty much just like they came out of the box. its incredible.

I have a pair of KSOs that I've worn for 2 summers now, and the strap is starting to wear through in one place. My new KSO Treks are just fine after 1 season and don't show any signs of wear.

They have held up longer than any tennis shoe I have owned over the past year. I have two pairs of new balances (all terrains) that are completely ruined from pivoting. One of those pairs were falling apart after 1 day of disc golf. I have one pair of nikes that got completely destroyed from pivoting in about 3 months.

Nothing has started falling apart on my Vibram KSO treks however. Sometimes I just don't want to play in them though, esp when the grass is really tall. LEGS ON FIAH! Once I ruin these last pair of new balances...prlly gonna get some keens or something of the like.

Interesting that your pivoting went through shoes so quickly and yet your KSOs are still solid, I definitely did not see them holding up better to an actual shoe. I was assuming they would be worse, but the degree of worse was going to be the deciding factor... interesting.

Just got these "shoes" 2 days ago and I'm already in love. No I'm not trying to sell them, I just love the feeling of being able to play "barefoot" but still having the protection of a thin rubber sole (Pricks love to break glass on my local course). Also I got my first ever ace today with them on!!! :D Coincidence? Most likely. But still, I love teeing off with them. I have a feeling they may help improve my game.
i am so looking to get me a pair of the for Christmas.
i want a pair of the sporttreks.

how are the reg KSO's?
I think this is the pair im gonna get.
+1

Ultra-Light, Breathable, and Vibram Soles = Perfect DG Shoes.
+2 for Moab Ventilators this is my current DG shoe.
There's a guy at my local field that used to rock these things all the time. I watched him stub his foot on a root and DISLOCATE HIS SMALL TOE...he no longer wears them.

They're interesting and all, but I like the way my toes are oriented now.

I switched from Merrills and hiking shoes to an Adidas trail running shoe, and I prefer the new ones. Trail running shoes have a lot of grip, and typically weight noticeably less than hiking shoes.
Did you get the Kanadia or whatever it's called, I was looking @ those, they have some sick traction on the bottom.

I have a pair of Trek Sports, I used them for every round of DG since I purchased them in late september.

I am sending them back to Vibram tomorrow because 2 toes have ripped. However, Vibram will be replacing them for free, and I will go back to them as soon as they come in the mail. I have heard that this is NOT normal and I am not worried about the next pair I get. I just hope they last longer than 2 months, $50 a month for footwear is to much.

Mine ripped on the inside seam between the rubber and mesh at the big toe of my plant foot. I guess I will attempt to contact them and see if they will take care of me as well. Would be great.

After making fun of my brother for years for them, I finally got suckered into getting some. He usually talks out his butt, so he's not to be trusted when he starts trying to explain logic or reason for things. BUT, after watching that dual survival show on Discovery, I finally did some research on my own. I thought that there might be something to these seemingly ridiculous 'shoes'. I went to the local place (DON'T buy them online unless its from REI or some authorized dealer... LOTS of counterfeits out there) and tried on a pair of treksports. VERY weird at first but walked around the store in them for awhile. I definitely think there is some sound logic to them. No, they're not for everyone or every situation, but I can tell you that my bad knee (left one) and lower back pains are not as sharp after going for a jog. Also I don't have any problems golfing in them. We've got new concrete tees and I thought they'd be too stick on em, but they're not. Do I think they look ridiculous, Yes. Will you see me wearing these around town... no. I look goofy enough as is. However I do think I'll be using them for dg, and general exercise for awhile and see if I continue to feel the same way about em.

My only real concerns will be how long the tread lasts and remembering to watch where I step. I've had a couple close calls with roots. I'm risking sounding a little too hippie/earthy/green by saying this, but there is also something nice about feeling more 'connected' to the ground.

Oh, and just a little info about me. I'm 6'2" 250lbs. Big framed, but I can stand to lose about 20-30lbs.

DON'T buy them online unless its from REI or some authorized dealer... LOTS of counterfeits out there

You can get the exact same shoe from shady Chinese crap websites (or ebay) for $30-40 if you can live with minor cosmetic issues. My roommate just got a pair and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them, they are even correctly branded, and they wear fine. I still buy mine at local shops because each style fits slightly differently.

My complaints:
* the soles wear out way too fast on concrete - understandable, they are not really made for pavement
* the toe pockets tear too easily - my KSOs were the first model ever made, i understand they have been beefed up since
* the stench becomes unbearable and unmanageable after a few weeks of daily use. you can soak them in vinegar, but it will be back in a few days.
* lots of toe stubbing on the course if you aren't paying attention

Don't get me wrong, I love the shoe, so much so that I took a two day backpacking trip in my original KSOs (I was 5'10" 190lbs), but they definitely aren't for everyone.

Last edited:
Also, it's common practice for Chinese manufacturers to contract for 100k units, get the schematics, then produce 200k and sell the extras. So, sometimes, counterfeits aren't actually counterfeits at all.

I have no idea if this is the case with FFs, but it happens a lot with electronics.

I love mine. got them last spring. ive ran with them, crossed streams and climbed mini waterfalls, plenty of disc and biking

im looking into getting the deluxe bickrams (sp) if I can pony up the $$

I guess I probably should have said that differently. If you don't want counterfeits, you should buy them at an authorized retailer. The only online retailers that are authorized have to have a brick and mortar store too.

I'm finding that in the woods you definitely should watch where you're going so you don't kick a root. Though, I think this is a practice that I need to take part in anyways, shoes or VFFs.

On the stench, my brother says he just washes them weekly. Also I've heard that tea tree oil or lavender oil help the stench out.

I wonder if the Treksports will wear slower since the material is stiffer/harder, and doesn't have the slits in the sole like the others do. I REALLY wanted to try out the Komodosports, but they didn't have them in my local store and had no clue when they would get them. They said at this point they don't know when shipments come in or what they're getting. They're just happy to get more in because they sell like hotcakes at fat kid camp.

I got suckered into them by a fast talking friend and they are the best thing I have ever bought for disc golf...besides my bag that is.

They are great, comfortable and I don't seem to get as tired when I play with them. I got the sports treks since I play in Arizona and we have a lot more rock and sharp things on the ground.