• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram is back?

wtf

you couldnt give away vibram discs back in the day

Depends on the region. Here in Colorado, Vibram was a huge seller...tons of Birdie Bashes (I ran two, one which had nearly 100 participants), Vibram at every disc shop. But we also had Mitch Sonderfan locally, who was their first big signee, so I can't discount that.

Marshall street was selling them for like 35 just a few weeks ago.
EDIT:
They still are, and with a much wider selection:
https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product-category/manufacturers/vibram

Yeah. In their newsletter they say that they found a stash of new discs in a dark corner of their old shop and decided to sell them for 'collector' prices. Meh.

I love my Ridge putter, but $25'ish is about all the more I'm willing to pay for a regular stock disc.

You know, you are right. We had a pro shop in town who took a bath on Vibram. At the end they were offering 10-stacks for 50 bucks. Wish I had gotten on that train.

I remember being at GGGT one time when they had the old 'proto' green & black X-pattern discs on clearance...like $10 a piece. Wish I had more cash back then to buy all of them! $$$$$$$

Last edited:
Back when Vibram originally existed, their discs were too unusual....I suspect players wanted the Frisbee-type of disc (plastic) and that is what everyone else produced. So, not enough people bought Vibrams and they dropped out of the market. But now, with discs being made of hemp, rubber, 3d printed, recycled material (in the process...not sure if any are being approved/sold yet), Vibram has a real good chance of making a strong comeback.

IMO more than anything else players did not like the feel of the material. That was certainly the case for me. Their customer service was also erratic.

On a different note there were hemp discs and recycled discs well before Vibram was in the game.

I'm one of those people who never understood the 'feel' argument against Vibram. Especially with the Firms, those were pretty close to ESP/Star plastic to me.

I'm one of those people who never understood the 'feel' argument against Vibram. Especially with the Firms, those were pretty close to ESP/Star plastic to me.
People like what they like. I throw Lace and unLace, the feel is a non-issue and they are durable as all get-out. I really didn't feel like I needed a $40 Lace to supplement the Lace I already have since I'm still throwing the first one and have two backups sitting around.

I might need another unLace as some point; they go far and sometimes they go "that's not at all where I expected it to go" far. They didn't have a $40 unLace so I wasn't tempted.

People like what they like. I throw Lace and unLace, the feel is a non-issue and they are durable as all get-out. I really didn't feel like I needed a $40 Lace to supplement the Lace I already have since I'm still throwing the first one and have two backups sitting around.

I might need another unLace as some point; they go far and sometimes they go "that's not at all where I expected it to go" far. They didn't have a $40 unLace so I wasn't tempted.

Funny- I found the Vibram drivers to be among the least durable discs I have ever thrown- one tree and they changed considerably. The other molds were indeed very durable. I also found the Firms to be completely gripless when temps were below 45 or so. YMMV (and obviously did :) )

I probably have an Unlace around here for you if you wind up needing one.

Funny- I found the Vibram drivers to be among the least durable discs I have ever thrown- one tree and they changed considerably.
Lol...if you can get one up to speed that might be the case. With my throw all I have is the disc golf equivalent of fender benders.

I never cared for the firm blend…I agree, grip didn't seem nearly as good as the standard medium blend. Seemed like it beat up quicker too, not necessarily that they got flippy fast, they just showed evidence of wear more so than the medium blend.

Kinda like wizards, seems to me at least that the firmer blends are more prone to nicks and chunks being taken out compared to softer blends.

Absolutely Vibram Durability scale is mostly like this...Soft>Medium>Glow>Hard...I've never thrown my floats so I'm not sure where they would land.

Putters in Medium are nearly indestructible. I used one for about 5 years for putting and throwing, the only 'damage' was that the flashing had warn off.

Last edited:
New Reddit thread with pics of test run. Flashing hasn't been trimmed so this may be legit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/sismrs/more_vibram_coming_soon/

KScuUMC.jpeg

Saw that on Reddit: just more proof they never should have left.

Birdie Bash please!

uhg. again!?! i wonder if this is now their norm... small runs & charging 40$ each seems like a good way for a semi-unique manufacturer to make some $$$$$, but i'm not paying that price.

uhg. again!?! i wonder if this is now their norm... small runs & charging 40$ each seems like a good way for a semi-unique manufacturer to make some $$$$$, but i'm not paying that price.

Right?? I'd love me a pile of fresh semi-identical Ridges, then I could end my epic quest to replace them. But at $40 a crack, no. I don't love a 'stock' run enough for that....or almost all 'special' discs too.

With shipping and tax, I just couldn't pull the trigger.

I'd buy a Vibram for $20, even 2, but nearly $50, for an Ibex, as a lover of Vibram rubber, I'm not THAT interested, or rich.

Yeah man, I know material costs and logistics are crazy expensive right now but I'm just not prepared to drop $40+ on a disc.

Would love to have another Lace, it was my longest backhand disc several years ago but not at these prices.

I'm pretty sick of companies doing the limited run price gouging thing. If they decide to start selling discs in the $20 range I'll gladly put some rubber back in the bag.

As I recall back in the day, Vibram had a slightly higher price point than other premium discs. It wasn't outrageous just like 18.99 vs the 15'ish for most premiums. And I agree with the most, at a reasonable price I'd grab some. At 40'ish for a boutique production run it's too much.

heh. Maybe Reptilian and other small brands should start jacking up the prices as a marketing strategy!

Latest posts