• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram ridge:first impressions!

tomn8r

Par Member
I got a couple of Ridge's in the soft plastic, & boy are they grippy! A little softer than i thought they would be, but they sure absorb chains! Like the posts i've read say they don't seem to have much glide!! I threw a couple of long approaches (50' or so) & they just dropped like a rock! On the other hand i was making puts from about 20' to 30' & the ones that did'nt go in stopped dead or under the basket. Even made a 40'-ish birdie!:thmbup: Do some of their other putters have more glide (Summit?)? Also how do the mediums feel? The soft's are kind of floppy & seem best for putting! I'd like to try a medium but want to know how they feel, (SS wizard,soft Ion,dx aviar??)! Thanks for any info. Tom

I throw a ridge as a drive putter or for mid-range putts (say 50+ feet) and with the right snap, they have excellent glide... but seriously who throws a shoe?

ps. don't let apothecary see this thread...

garbage.

greasy and fly like crap. find a different disc. lord knows theres no shortage at this stage in disconautics.

garbage.

greasy and fly like crap. find a different disc. lord knows theres no shortage at this stage in disconautics.

I disagree with your opinion. The soft plastic is far from greasy. Soft, chalky rubber is a better description. They are floppy and only work for spin putts. I use a soft Summit and am very pleased with it. It really does grab the chains, but most importantly... it just won't roll off. It would glide more than the Ridge, but not much more.

Disconautics is a cool word. Very cool. Nice to have you back on the forum!

The mediums are quite hard... and some would say... greasy.

I find myself throwing my ridge less and less... Anything outside of magic range and I'm usually just laying down an easy fuse toss.

Mine are firm. I keep trying to get the "greasy" feel so I understand what that comment is all about, but I can't. They feel fine in my hand, no problem with the grip at all.

I've been using my X-Link (medium) Ridge for approaches lately and I really like it. It's not greasy, and holds a good line. Truthfully, I've got Ions, Aviars, Wizards, and Darts as well and I can make them all do roughly the same thing when it comes to putt/approach. I've given up looking for the magic disc and come to the realization that the magic is in me...or not. One thing that I do like about the Ridge is it's shallow rim. I feel like I can rip it a little harder.

I really can't find where the greasy comments are coming from. Mine is nice and grippy. Plus it's almost exactly the color of my skin, so I feel like it's an extension of my body somehow.

I throw a ridge as a drive putter or for mid-range putts (say 50+ feet) and with the right snap, they have excellent glide... but seriously who throws a shoe?

ps. don't let apothecary see this thread...

ap, what firmness is your ridge?

I have a firm one that is stiff as hell and even when I crank it I feel like it doesn't have any glide.

ap, what firmness is your ridge?

I have a firm one that is stiff as hell and even when I crank it I feel like it doesn't have any glide.

I don't think AP is looking for any help...
It's kind of a one-way street down that way.:\

I bet the greasy feeling is a result of the disc being Hygroscopic, if it gets wet it will retain some of that water and bleed it out (for lack of a better word) with additional additives that make it feel greasy. I have actually experienced this. Take note I don't hate them like Apothecary does. I like Vibram discs just fine, i'm just a Latitude whore first and foremost and i'm addicted to the Pure.

i use the ridge in all 3 different types of softness. i love them :) they do lack glide but i like that i think its really predictable. ill use a cryzstal challenger when i need some glide. none of my vibrams feel greasy either don't if anything they feel grippy. another problem ive had is they like to roll really bad. i have seen a vibram roll 40+ft from the basket after throwing a bad putt

Latest posts