• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video Analysis Pchitti

first, i suggest uploading to youtube so we can rewind and go frame by frame.

As far as your backhand, it looks very consistant, but don't see much snap. Maybe bend your elbow a bit and try the beato drills.

Might be wrong, hard to tell without seeing the flight path of the disc.

lol zero, its my ex-roomates backyard. First time I have used it. The net is in the range of 8'x6' and we are only 15' away. Im sure one drunken night they will have an issue.

Uhhh...not too shabby dude. The best part is the music, one of my favs. *holds lighter in air* The biggest thing is your elbow is moving too fast compared to your hand, so you are slipping and too squared up at the hit. The other thing is that you rely too much on linear motion and not enough on rotation. Your momentum keeps going forward so you lose leverage and don't pivot. You can gain more leverage planting your foot closer to 45-90 degrees from the target, it looks like you are about 30 degrees which is probably why you don't have much pivot.

Looks pretty solid to me. I like how u turn your right foot a little to the closed position as u go into the x-step. That seems to help u get turned away from the target going back. I might actually have to borrow that. About all I can recommend is to wait a hair before u start the pull. On a few throws, it seems u started the pull just a little early.

first, i suggest uploading to youtube so we can rewind and go frame by frame.

As far as your backhand, it looks very consistant, but don't see much snap. Maybe bend your elbow a bit and try the beato drills.

you've been giving a lot of good form advice lately, I would hire you to help my form, but since I am your main competition you would sabotage me :p

The hammer pound drills will help a lot, too. His shoulders are too far ahead of his elbow so he's not getting into the power zone. I'd use the drills to try to fix it. I find that's way easier.

The hammer pounds have always given me issues. Never feels like im getting anything from them.

Thanks for the compliments and the advise. Played a mini today(I already know not to play with my throw during but couldnt help it:doh:) had some good improvement working on throwing with more snap, had to give up on the foot angle during the mini though. Its gonna be rough to get that worked out even for just a little angle, due to that being so much muscle memory.

Hope to get past the current plateau soon with this info.:thmbup:

Ok here is the Utube. tried everything I know and can not figure how to embed it...

My drives

0:27 shows very nice weight transfer and a smooth throw. I'm actually very jealous of how easy you make it look keeping forward momentum. BUT....

0:27, 0:33 and 0:37 shows very little snap and late acceleration.

Sidewinder and Garublador have suggested the ways to improve both snap and arm acceleration. while your forward momentum is great for accuracy and keeping the nose down, getting more hip and shoulder rotation is where the late arm acceleration comes from.

Sweet, will be working on those and hopefully get another vid up in a couple of weeks for comparison.

The hammer pounds have always given me issues. Never feels like im getting anything from them.
These drills aren't always understood as well as they can be. The point of them isn't just to swing the disc back and forth. The point is to learn to swing the disc so you can first feel and then eventually manipulate the feel of the weight of the disc. It will feel kind of like a hammer in that it will feel like there's a weight on the opposite side of the disc. Your goal is to be able to feel that weight and control it. Then build everything about maximizing how hard you fling that weight forward. If you aren't getting that feeling then you need to experiment until you do. Once you do that then you just need to do them a little bit to remind yourself of that feeling.

At the risk of sounding gay, I really like your form...lol..ok, past the snickering and laughing...

Seriously though, it is very smooth. Very fluid.

The pic I attached shows a nice bent elbow. I am not sure if you need to work on that as others have suggested..it looks pretty good here.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
great still frame..... bent elbow, yep... but now we see his hand is positioned a bit toward the front of the disc instead of on the farthest side away from his body. correcting this will generate way more snap.

Super smooth and fluid man :thumbup:

the only thing I can really criticize is not enough late acceleration, you're laying into the throw immediately after your reach back. I'd work the right pec drill so you can get used to not laying into it until you're in the "power zone." Then you reach back, begin to pull (but not at full power), then lay into it at the right pec, which should give you much more acceleration and snap.

At the risk of sounding gay, I really like your form...lol..ok, past the snickering and laughing...

Seriously though, it is very smooth. Very fluid.

The pic I attached shows a nice bent elbow. I am not sure if you need to work on that as others have suggested..it looks pretty good here.

Wow that is a great still frame man. That shows me more than watching the video did on where my issue is.
I always felt that my hand was in the right spot, now I know it hasnt been.

Been working the right pec drill have and have had a lot of improvement in the control and distance the last couple of days. Put a hornet out to 320 yesterday, shocked the crap out of me.

Thanks again for the suggestions and input on my throws.

@garublador:
yeah it is easy to misunderstand those drills, really is the same as explaining the rest of the throw. I think my issue with them is that I understand the feel and im looking for something I didnt feel before.

Wow that is a great still frame man. That shows me more than watching the video did on where my issue is.
I always felt that my hand was in the right spot, now I know it hasnt been.
Compare your still frame to this one:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/images/cabernathey1-5.jpg

Look at where the disc is and where your elbow is compared to where Clay has it at the same spot. It's a minor difference but it might help you figure out what you're doing differently to get the really good shots compared to the OK ones.

FWIW, It looks to me like Clay has his weight back a bit but I actually use to know Clay personally and he's the kind of guy that "gets" things really easily, so he's able to work around stuff like that.

It looks pretty smooth but the still frame is revealing. Your elbow is dropped down really low and more importantly it's not getting out ahead of you.

Garu and ArcheType are pointing you in the right direction. I'll add a bit on to it based on what I've learned about anatomy and physiology.

Part of the reason Beto and Kachtz (and Avery and basically everyone else who throws far) lead with the elbow and keep it on plane with the shoulder is that once you get your elbow out ahead of you, it stretches out that big muscle on the back/underside of your arm which creates elastic tension in the muscle. When you open your body up and swing your forearm around the fulcrum (your elbow), that elasticity "bounces" in your tricep and you get a huge increase in efficiency of the tricep which results in more force and power. It's the concept ploymetric exercise are based on.

You are still "pulling" your elbow through your shot while your forearm swings around instead of getting the elbow out ahead of you, loading that muscles stretch up, and then opening up your body and going into the hit. Timing, son.

I'll note that the right pec drill is often difficult because the larger amount of time that passes between the stretch and contraction of the muscle, the lower the efficiency the stretch gives. When you try to do the right pec drill starting with a completely still arm and body you will probably fail.

It's like trying a big vertical leap but when you drop down to prime your muscles, you just sit there for 5 seconds instead of jumping up immediately.