• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VIDEO. Need repair/ corrective suggestions! please help

velcro333

I am starting this thread, primarily, because this is probably the most informative and helpful site i have found when it comes to this sort of thing. I am going to upload, over the next few days a series of vids of my backhand driving at practice sessions. I would like those who are willing to help correct my flaws in my form so that I can achieve maximum snap, rip, and performance. All are welcome and you will not hurt my feelings. I am of the the opinion that one must lose before one can learn. I am willing to try just about anything and have no problem breaking it back down to the basics.
I have been playing disc golf for just shy of two (2) years. I am rhbh thrower but not exclusively. I use the rhfh when needed and achieve roughly 450' easily with this technique. It is not, however my "go-to" throw. It takes a toll on the arm and elbow after overuse and because of the course layout in my region (southeast) it leaves me with crummy shots. My perfect scenario, is to master the drive from both sides of the tee with confidence. I want to be able to pick my shot based on the hole and the conditions, not my ability or lack thereof.
My backhand, like many is manageable on good days and frustrating on bad ones. This is due to the inconsistencies in my fundamentals, I believe. Because of my learning style, possibly, it is a better tool to watch and read and practice to learn. I can achieve about 400'-450' when I am clicking (with what feels and looks like poor form). when I am off, however, I suffer from a myriad of issues. OAT, early release, grip-lock, sloppy foot-work etc...
I am 29 years of age and completely healthy. Spend 3-5 days a week in the gym doing various work-outs that change consistently. 5'8'' in height. Weight=178lbs.
Putt is solid. I use various wizards for this along with most of my upshots. I have a straddle technique for almost all putts (50' and in) using Blake T's Short arm technique and I must say it definitely works. Outside of that I adjust to a more staggered/jump technique.
My Bag is made up of 3-4 wizards, 2 rocs, old barstamp buzz, 1 dga squall, 2-3 wraiths, 2-3 teebirds, destro, xcalibur.
The more stable stuff is for those headwind forehander's that you have to really yank. I can reach my 400' range backhand with the other drivers consistently on the good days i mentioned earlier. The problem in my game is my consistency. I wanna be "on" much more frequently and I want the community's help.
Thanks again for the help in advance. All feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated. Hopefully this will be a learning experience for not just myself, but others.
I'm sure we could derive a wealth of knowledge from just one short video so they will be coming in at a rate of 2 per day roughly. Thank you again.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/60vTAK2HxZc?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/60vTAK2HxZc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Hi and welcome. Your steps are hopping up and down. The footwork should be like gliding forward in ice skating. Water smooth. Your hips are locked to neutral position and that robs a lot of power. The same goes for the shoulders. Your arm pull distance is way too short as a result reducing distance potential. The throwing arm falls a few inches in the follow through and the disc is annied because of that even though the running direction ann leg placements are for a flat shot. Except you stopped the follow through step early. That robs distance.

It looks like your arm is coming across your chest, but it's way away from you. Maybe try to get that arm a little tighter into your chest on your pull through. With your arm that far away from your chest, it's going to be hard to get any load in the wrist. It also looks like you're not quite getting your weight on your front foot; your weight seems to be centered during the latter part of your throw when it needs to be more forward over your front leg.

Latest posts