• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video tour of a selection of NE Ohio's finest courses

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
These are some of the best courses in the NE Ohio area near Akron / Canton.

First, here is my home course, Arboretum. This is a 24 hole disc golf course primarily featuring long, fairly open holes, with a few water hazards and elevation changes thrown in the mix. Two sets of paved tees, multiple pin positions, brand new baskets for the first 19 holes and some beautiful views, especially in the spring.

Next, here is its shorter and more technical neighbor, Oak Ledges. This course can be punishing if you miss your lines, but features tons of birdie chances if you can navigate the trees. 18 holes, one set of tees and pin positions. Tons of elevation changes and a myriad of trees, this course does a good job of making you plan your shot and stick to your line more than Arboretum.

South of either is a much longer, fairly open course, Deis Hill. This exceptional course features 3 sets of tees, the reds and whites being paved and the blues using kickboards. Single pin positions. This course offers some of the longest holes I've thrown, with #1 blue being just shy of 1000'. This course is a blast if you feel like ripping some huge drives, and the elevation plus wind makes it more interesting than a flat, open course. #1 in particular, everyone I've watched throw it for the first time misjudges the hill and ends up hyzering down to the bottom, for a very long and uphill second drive. Despite being known for its long, open holes, Deis Hill does feature some more technical shots, such as #2 which is a steep downhill right turning hole, and #8, which is a long, steadily downhill tunnel shot through some woods.

East of Arboretum is my favorite pitch and putt, Wildwood. Short tees followed by long tees. This course is small with some rough edges, but the lines are fun to shoot, the compact nature of the course makes it quick to play, the two tees offer good variety on holes like #3, #5, #9 etc. Usually you'll have the course to yourself as well, which makes for a relaxing day of tossing putters and mids.

Finally we have one of the newest courses in my area, Portage Lakes State Park DGC. There has been a tremendous amount of work put into this course. I've watched it go from straight woods with red flags in the ground, to a natural tee 9 hole course with fun lines but rough edges, to what you see today. Two full sets of paved tees. 18 holes. Practice basket. Tough but defined fairways. Alternate pins. Tons of elevation changes. Amazing scenery. This course has come a long way, and I urge anyone that hasn't tried it, or played it in its infancy, to come try it out.

Last edited:
I played Arboretum, Deis Hill, and Oak Ledges over a Labor Day weekend a few years ago, and I have been wanting to get back ever since. I really loved Oak Ledges and Arboretum but could've skipped Deis Hill. I did park 17 with a Comet (my buddy went left and rolled down the hill). I love tunnel shots so I left the course with a smile on my face. I think I'll swap it with Portage Lakes when I do manage to head back north though.

Wait he went left on #17 and rolled down 17's hill or the hill #14 is on? I wouldn't be able to stop laughing it I saw someone do the latter.

Most people I play with don't seem to care for Deis Hill. They say its too long and too hilly, too much work to play a round. I love it though, not many courses let you open up like that, the park is gorgeous, and I enjoy the challenge of going for birdies from the longer tees.

Wait he went left on #17 and rolled down 17's hill or the hill #14 is on? I wouldn't be able to stop laughing it I saw someone do the latter.

Most people I play with don't seem to care for Deis Hill. They say its too long and too hilly, too much work to play a round. I love it though, not many courses let you open up like that, the park is gorgeous, and I enjoy the challenge of going for birdies from the longer tees.

I remember the tunnel having a pretty serious downhill on the left, but looking at the pic it looks like it's on the right (it was probably three years ago, and it was course 6 in two days). I remember him hyzering out early, skipping through the trees and rolling halfway down the enormous hill. Maybe he hit a tree, kicked right, and rolled down that hill. Believe me, I wanted to laugh. I was beat and didn't want to rub in his face that I didn't have deal with the hill.

I didn't particularly dislike Deis Hill. I don't have a very big arm and just prefer wooded courses, which you guys have in spades.

I don't blame you. Arb and Deis Hill are fun, but sometimes you know you threw a bad drive and don't get punished for you.

I've definitely seen people roll down the ~100' hill on the right of #17, and it's hilarious. Especially during leagues.