• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video upload distance throws 1st

kachtz

Birdie Member
here is a video one from yesterday with my friend holding the camera, and the rest i set the camera down so would be easier to follow...

these are my attempts at high hyzer shots that did not work well at all in gaining distance for me yet, but i will keep trying.:wall:

i know my footwork is messy here, i played 2 rounds of disc golf and had a soccer game earlier that day, and lifted weights, so my legs might be wobbly~

im ready for some tips now!! :clap::clap::clap:

any ideas on how to make the resolution better, the orginal format is 1080HD but by the time i converted it to 640x480 and uploaded to youtube it looks kinda blurry.:thmbdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119te_7OJBA

Dude if you got the nose down you could throw forever. Hyzerflip stuff at like 15 feet, not 50 lol. I wish I could throw this far.

You have the power but now you need control. There are very few holes where your type of throwing for distance would benefit you. I agree with Adam, if you could get the disc about 15' off the ground, the disc would go farther.

Looks like you've got a massive arm.

You need to go back to the thread where everyone was doubting, link the vid, and say, "N'yah! :p"

;)

Congrats. I'm glad to hear you weren't blowing smoke. Welcome to the game. You have a ton of potential. I wish I had that kind of arm!

massive arm. Just work on the form and I would be going for the next world record if I were you.

Damn.

Once you get control, I'm sure you could destroy some tournaments.

Looks rather effortless even, although that disc height looks to be a pretty big problem. We got holes here just under 380 feet, but if you toss above 10-12 feet, you're in the trees the entire way.

You should consider joining Apothecary's 400'+ club. Since you have such great video evidence you should have no trouble getting in. :D

Learn to throw nose down, it's hard to say even with the vid he's throwing over 300', though does look possible. Has clearly got a clean tight pull, with good wrist extenstion. But, since I never seen one disc after he threw it, and with that much nose up. Even Pro's would have a hard time throwing 400'+.

As far as throwing nose down is concerned, extend your wrist and hand as if to almost be about to shake someone's hand. At that point take your wrist still palm facing horizontal and bend your wrist down. Then grip the disc as you normally do. With the wrist in that position it puts the disc in a nose down orientation which facilitates being able to throw higher. If you can learn to do that throwing the way you do 500' should come easily.

I took these from another post I made, and posting here to Illustrate what I explained in my post above. This is wrist orientation to facilitate throwing nose down. If you can do this, you can have a higher ceiling, which allows the disc to glide more once it reaches it's max height, and then the speed and spin take over and carry it longer distances.

9a4uo5.jpg

Wrist down orientation

hsvpu0.jpg

Open hand with disc showing disc with wrist orientation

qntwgk.jpg

Closed grip with disc in the "lifeline"/crease of the hand as shown above.

If your really throwing 477(hard to tell by the video) your throwing way further than me....but I still feel the need to give some advice
....your run up is bouncy thus the power is being lost in the bouncy steps/ rather than a sustained forceful push into your drive your losing power by bouncing...you should almost be running with minimal bounce and falling over on your release as though your being pushed horizontally by a freight train.(release should coincide with all your weight thrust on your right leg and you body should recklessly whip around after.
....You have great acceleration in your arm but your not getting much out of your legs and torso (if you played soccer your legs should give you some true power).....try to throw with just one step but keep your back turned to your release point...do a 180 pivoting on your right leg and really focus on your hips swiveling first and then your upper body following and then your arm following as if a whip...once this is comfortable incorporate this into your x-step...you wont need to waste so much acceleration and energy on the run up....the power and distance comes from the release, speed and snap...the run up might add a few feet but is more prone to mess up your form. Most might be losing distance through poor form than what they gain from a run up. anything more than 12 feet is too much.
...You are throwing way too high on some of these throws....If you want maximum distance you need to throw either on a lower line with a flatter (not so hyzer) release or you need to throw with SOME height incorporating a hyzer flip(many on here can educate you regarding a hyzer flip thrown with some rise as the best way to gain Big D)..you will need the correct disc for this throw
....explore using lighter discs once your form improves and also learn to use the wind to your advantage an understable disc like a valkyrie or a monarch with a tailwind going from 4oclock to 10 oclock is said to be the most optimal condition for distance

I might be wrong on some of these points but Im sure someone will correct me...these are just a few hints Ive learned that have increased my distance.....power is great but form means so much more.
I am 6'3" 260 and have been lifting weights for 20 years....I can probably max out at 350...there are 150 lb potheads who throw 150 feet further than me because they generate whip like speed and have perfect form...frustrating!

Oh make another video at a baseball or football field so we can truly see the distances in question....might be helpful a football field is best as we all know the height of a field goal and the distance is 360 ft from endzone to endzone I believe.

From looking on the vids I see that you get much spin on to the discs.If a disc would spin at a high speed and hold the spin while going fast it would fly far.
Often I can get tired during a round and then I always throw a bit shorther because I can´t generate much spin on the discs so they will fade earlier then normal.

I´m 6'0" 130 lb and I mostly go with a fluid and fast form when I throw and I max around 450-500ft on a good day.
Just try to make the form more fluid and work on the angles and have fun watching these discs fly FAR.

Dude if you got the nose down you could throw forever. Hyzerflip stuff at like 15 feet, not 50 lol. I wish I could throw this far.

You have the power but now you need control. There are very few holes where your type of throwing for distance would benefit you. I agree with Adam, if you could get the disc about 15' off the ground, the disc would go farther.

---I normally have been throwing really low, this was my first attempt at throwing high to see if i gained anything.

Congrats. I'm glad to hear you weren't blowing smoke. Welcome to the game. You have a ton of potential. I wish I had that kind of arm!

---thanks but i still cant make a putt over 15' consistantly!

Learn to throw nose down, it's hard to say even with the vid he's throwing over 300', though does look possible. Has clearly got a clean tight pull, with good wrist extenstion. But, since I never seen one disc after he threw it, and with that much nose up. Even Pro's would have a hard time throwing 400'+.

As far as throwing nose down is concerned, extend your wrist and hand as if to almost be about to shake someone's hand. At that point take your wrist still palm facing horizontal and bend your wrist down. Then grip the disc as you normally do. With the wrist in that position it puts the disc in a nose down orientation which facilitates being able to throw higher. If you can learn to do that throwing the way you do 500' should come easily.

I will try this, and i know its hard to see the disc in the video but im not going to lie about something like this lol, i might lie to my girlfriend now and again for good reasons! but not about throwing a piece of plastic through the air....:doh:

If your really throwing 477(hard to tell by the video) your throwing way further than me....but I still feel the need to give some advice
....your run up is bouncy thus the power is being lost in the bouncy steps/ rather than a sustained forceful push into your drive your losing power by bouncing...you should almost be running with minimal bounce and falling over on your release as though your being pushed horizontally by a freight train.(release should coincide with all your weight thrust on your right leg and you body should recklessly whip around after.
....You have great acceleration in your arm but your not getting much out of your legs and torso (if you played soccer your legs should give you some true power).....try to throw with just one step but keep your back turned to your release point...do a 180 pivoting on your right leg and really focus on your hips swiveling first and then your upper body following and then your arm following as if a whip...once this is comfortable incorporate this into your x-step...you wont need to waste so much acceleration and energy on the run up....the power and distance comes from the release, speed and snap...the run up might add a few feet but is more prone to mess up your form. Most might be losing distance through poor form than what they gain from a run up. anything more than 12 feet is too much.
...You are throwing way too high on some of these throws....If you want maximum distance you need to throw either on a lower line with a flatter (not so hyzer) release or you need to throw with SOME height incorporating a hyzer flip(many on here can educate you regarding a hyzer flip thrown with some rise as the best way to gain Big D)..you will need the correct disc for this throw
....explore using lighter discs once your form improves and also learn to use the wind to your advantage an understable disc like a valkyrie or a monarch with a tailwind going from 4oclock to 10 oclock is said to be the most optimal condition for distance

I might be wrong on some of these points but Im sure someone will correct me...these are just a few hints Ive learned that have increased my distance.....power is great but form means so much more.
I am 6'3" 260 and have been lifting weights for 20 years....I can probably max out at 350...there are 150 lb potheads who throw 150 feet further than me because they generate whip like speed and have perfect form...frustrating!

I will try just a few steps combined with the other ideas given here to see what happends.

thank you guys for your advice, i have my semi-pro football practice saturday and sunday, i am going to try and get someone to hold the camera at the football field for me, only 1 goal post is up right now because it is connected to the baseball field, and its baseball season right now apparently.

i will say, that i must be using muscles i dont use often, becasue my left side of my back and the top of my right shoulder are sore as hell...im 29 yrs old i miss the days where you do something one day and next day you feel 100% again.

Yeah, shorten the run up, and just get the nose down thing and you'll have the distance smashed regardless. I can tell you're throwing well, just can't judge distances by the video. The long bouncy run up doesn't really help much, the last three steps you take, with the x step is what generates your power. Everything before isn't needed at all. But, the nose down is where you're distance and control will come from.

Latest posts