• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Viking better in DX or Champ?

onemilemore

* Ace Member *
Did a search, but didn't find much comparing the two plastics.

If I recall correctly, the Viking was first made in Champion (or whatever it was then) plastic, then later put in DX. I am wondering, then, which plastic I should try it in? I know some discs are better in DX and have more glide that way, and I am not sure how it will throw for me, so I am thinking going cheap. But, if it is intended to be thrown in Champ, I may go that route.

Can anyone who has thrown both chime in?

love my champ but i've never thrown a DX so I may be missing something and don't even know it. My champ has a very predictable flight, slight turn through the whole flight with a mild fade at the end to give a lie that is usually dead striaght in front of me about 300 - 325

If you want a flippy Viking, or are a lower power player, then a DX Viking can work. Though looking at your bag setup I'm not sure it would do anything a DX Teebird or Roadrunner can't. Champs are considerably more stable/overstable and fill the role of workhorse woods driver better because they can take the abuse.

I have no thrown both but i like my champ viking and use it as my main driver and have to assume like any other disc that is made is different plastics, the flights are going to very close and the dx plastic is going to break in a lot faster

I throw both regularly. The Champs are a lot more stable than the DX. The DX Vikings feel like a more stable Valkyrie. The Champ Vikings are a lot more stable than the Champ Valks. I've also had some consistency problems with some of the Champ Vikings but when you get a good one it stays low with a nice predictable fade at the end.

If you want a flippy Viking, or are a lower power player, then a DX Viking can work. Though looking at your bag setup I'm not sure it would do anything a DX Teebird or Roadrunner can't. Champs are considerably more stable/overstable and fill the role of workhorse woods driver better because they can take the abuse.

That has been my dilemma. Probably should just stick with the ol' Teebs.

The worst champ is way better than the best dx....my opinion though.

I mean you can get a dx to fly nice, take rocs for an example. But I dont feel I should have to bend and twist a disc after every tree just to make it do what I want.

Definitely champ. Adjust weight to get the Viking you want, not plastic. In dx this will turn into a Valk very quickly, and then what's the point.

I won a Champ Viking over two years ago, and loved it until I lost it. Great disc. Never threw a DX, though, so I can't compare, but I'd trust a Vike.

I bought a Champ Viking and then about a month later, I found another one on a course. The latter was far far far more stable than the former, even though they were of comparable wear, weights, etc. Not sure if all Champ Vikings are a crap shoot or not in regard to stability.

Latest posts