• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vinyl cutter review

prohopkid

Birdie Member
Hey guys, my gf got me a silhouette Cameo vinyl cutter for Xmas. Just wondering if anyone has one and likes it...Pros and cons.
I have hand cut for over a year. Now I have this, is it difficult to use? Center your design? Thanks for help!

I have the Cricut Explorer which functions the same and the Cameo. They are very easy to use and saves a lot of time over hand cutting. Centering the design on the disc is the hard part. I use a laser pointer attached to a tripod to line up the center.

I use a silhouette portrait
Works great. Just watch some youtube videos about the software and get to know your limitations with it.
You will get the hang in no time. It sure beats hand cutting.

The Cameo is great. The Studio software that comes with it can do a lot, but it takes some time (and some mistakes) to make it work. A few things I'd recommend:

1. When "tracing" objects, make sure to turn off the "high pass filter".
2. Use the "offset" tool on any text to make it thicker.
3. After you've used your machine for a while (or had a particularly tight set of cuts), take the blade out and remove the little cap on it to clean off the little vinyl pieces.
4. Check out the Silhouette School blog when you have a question.
5. Join the "Silhouette Cameo Project Inspiration" Facebook group. Mostly it's a group of women showing off their ornaments/t-shirts/welcome signs, but I've learned a good bit on there.

Please contact me if you have any questions!

Latest posts