• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vinyl Cutting Machines

skinner21

* Ace Member *
My wife went out this weekend and purchased a Vinyl cutting machine for crafty stuff she likes to do. Little did she know that I was wanting one of these for dying discs. She got a Crikcut and I was wondering if anyone else has one, if it sucks (I can still take it back), and what other people use. She's kind of an r-tard, so she hasn't done anything with and is waiting for me to show her how to use it, so I still have chance to get a better one. Although she said she spent about $650 on all the stuff for it, so I don't know how much more I can afford (I didn't know I could afford $650) o_0

Are they able to cut stuff you make or do you have to buy cartridges for everything? I had thought it would only cut stuff in the cartridges so you may be stuck dying everything with flowers or Disney or whatever cartridge she has.

I don't know yet, I spent the weekend on a discing trip with the boys and when I got home I was useless. I'll be playing with it tonight. She did mention something about cartridges though. Does that mean I can't make import my own images. Because if that ends up being the case, that thing is going back fast.

I don't know yet, I spent the weekend on a discing trip with the boys and when I got home I was useless. I'll be playing with it tonight. She did mention something about cartridges though. Does that mean I can't make import my own images. Because if that ends up being the case, that thing is going back fast.
It doesn't look like you can import...but you can cut out some killer sweet Hannah Montana stuff for only 99 bucks.

http://www.cricut.com/shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?id=345&s=1&sc=2

Oh wow. This just gets suckier. You have to buy a 50 dollar cartridge for each font you want to use.

Yeah those Cricut things suck. I would return it. You can get a vinyl plotter starting at like $249.99 here:
http://www.uscutterdirect.com/USCutter-MH-series-Vinyl-Cutter-_p_25.html
The 12" with out a stand is $249.99 + $9.99 shipping. Comes with the programs and all the necessary info to get you up and going. Probably not as user friendly as the Cricut. But you can import images, vector files etc....

Heres a scrapbooking one thats a little smaller(about the size of a desktop printer). Its only $219.99 + $9.99 shipping.
http://www.uscutterdirect.com/Graphtec-Craft-ROBO-2--ScrapbookingCraft-Cutter_p_126.html
You can import any thing. It says it will cut any thing from card stock to vinyl. It uses a cutting mat similar to that of the cricut. So your wife could cut all her funky little scrap booking thingies to. You are limited to 11" as far as your media goes but thats a good size for dyeing discs! This one is more geared towards scrapbookers so Im sure it has an easier to use software interface.
Those cricuts are a freakin scam!!
You should return it and buy her one of these ones and pocket the left over cash for a rainy day!!!
$400+ buys alot of disc golf stuff!

Last edited:
wow, I suppose this is what I get leaving for the weekend. Yeah, that thing is going back as soon as I get off work. Thanks guys.

Does anyone have a vinyl cutter? If yes, what do you have and do you like it?

I have a vinyl cutter...

A Vinyl Express Qe60 24" plotter... Its a high speed sign plotter not really designed to only cut small stuff, but i also make vehicle graphics, signs, etc.

Best 1800$ i ever spent... HANDS DOWN!

Most of my friends have pretty nice graphics, and cool decals all over the place. heh. You can drive around town and see decals that i have cut. I also sold on ebay for awhile and decals went out all over the country and over seas.

good times. I'm looking at my plotter right now thinking about the good ol days. heh

Yeah those Cricut things suck. I would return it. You can get a vinyl plotter starting at like $249.99 here:
http://www.uscutterdirect.com/USCutter-MH-series-Vinyl-Cutter-_p_25.html
The 12" with out a stand is $249.99 + $9.99 shipping. Comes with the programs and all the necessary info to get you up and going. Probably not as user friendly as the Cricut. But you can import images, vector files etc....

Heres a scrapbooking one thats a little smaller(about the size of a desktop printer). Its only $219.99 + $9.99 shipping.
http://www.uscutterdirect.com/Graphtec-Craft-ROBO-2--ScrapbookingCraft-Cutter_p_126.html
You can import any thing. It says it will cut any thing from card stock to vinyl. It uses a cutting mat similar to that of the cricut. So your wife could cut all her funky little scrap booking thingies to. You are limited to 11" as far as your media goes but thats a good size for dyeing discs! This one is more geared towards scrapbookers so Im sure it has an easier to use software interface.
Those cricuts are a freakin scam!!
You should return it and buy her one of these ones and pocket the left over cash for a rainy day!!!
$400+ buys alot of disc golf stuff!

the smaller one says it has a cutting width of 8" but still pretty good... i am tempted to buy one...

how much does vinyl cost for things like this and where do you order it?

as a hand cutter, I like my vinyl... but its also what has kept me from doing patterns and large round shapes...

The vinyl price really depends on the quality of vinyl... ie. the manufacturer. And the other factor is who you buy from.

I buy from a wholesaler that only sells to sign companies. The more you buy the cheaper it gets.

Usually a roll of 15" in white is around 70$ But thats 50 yards of material! woot!

Or basically 1 roll of vinyl can dye 150 discs.

the smaller one says it has a cutting width of 8" but still pretty good... i am tempted to buy one...

8 inch = 20.32 centimeter = good enough for a lot of designs, but it won't get you to the edge of the disc. PDGA sanctioned discs have to be between 21-30cm.

Get the bigger one and sell cuts to people on these forums to make up the difference.

Also, watch out for the cutting depth. Some of those craft plotters have a thickness limit that might be too shallow for good vinyl.

how much does vinyl cost for things like this and where do you order it?

as a hand cutter, I like my vinyl... but its also what has kept me from doing patterns and large round shapes...

signwarehouse.com isn't to bad for pricing that I can tell..18 bucks including shipping for white 15" oracle 651 I think it was...I WAS gonna buy it but seeing as how I lose interest in cutting halfway through my cuts I rather not waste the money lol

Yeah, once I explained to her what the cricut could and could not do she took it back herself. I'm going to get one from US Cutters. Thanks for the help, I'll let you guys know how it goes I wanna start dying when I can.

Good luck man! What one are you thinking about getting? Hit me up if you have any questions. They also have a forum on their site that is pretty helpful when your getting started!

Cool, thanks. I got the Raindrop.

Let me know if you're interested in selling some cuts when you get all set up and comfy with your plotter. I've been eying some designs that I don't really want to attempt cutting by hand. I'm in IL too (Shorewood is my 'home' course).

Let me know if you're interested in selling some cuts when you get all set up and comfy with your plotter. I've been eying some designs that I don't really want to attempt cutting by hand. I'm in IL too (Shorewood is my 'home' course).

I will. I'm still waiting for it to come in. I got impatient and cut out a disc by hand last night just to see if I could do it and to dye one now that I have all of the supplies. I'm really excited about the plotter though. I'll let you know when I get it working.

Latest posts