• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Virginia Courses

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13409

Northgate Park 9-holer in Virginia Beach now has their tee signs installed both pads, and also mando signs. The course itself is complete, with a practice basket placed behind hole 9 basket in an open field, with at least 500 feet of throwing distance. Except for #5 B pin placement, I've now played all the other pin placements on three visits. Very difficult course from #1 tee to #9 basket. Impressive how proficient the local club was able to install the course working with the city.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=526

Finally made up to Newport News Park to check out the new Mach 5 baskets which catch great! Bright orange in color made them easy to see versus the old gray baskets.

If you've played here before seven baskets have been relocated distance, difficulty and needed. Baskets 3, 5, 11, 14-15, and 17-18. 11 the furthest in distance at about 70 feet still in the open. The pictures are my three favorite re-position baskets.

Left- #3 about thirty feet back, just past the fence about 10 feet was the old basket placement. Funny I finally hit the line for the old basket placement and not hit a tree, would have flown over the basket. My orange disc is just before the basket.

Center- #14 basket now just behind those trees, to the right of the trees was the old placement and an easy birdie pickup, not anymore. Both rounds short and long tee caught the trees, orange disc laying on the ground.

Right- #15 at least 60 feet back, the old placement just behind the near tree on the right and what used to be an easy birdie pickup from shorts. To the left short of trees is my purple disc after hitting a tree, managed to drop a 40-foot birdie putt.

Attachments

• nn3.jpg
    nn3.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 16
  • nn14.jpg
    nn14.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 15
  • nn15.jpg
    nn15.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 15
Can they not make Lake Marshall's Lion's course any harder. #10 is being stretched out as a continuing downhill dogleg left from the current basket location about an additional 80 feet in distance. The hole currently plays 834/719 foot par 4. The new approach will likely be blind, and it looks like the water will now be in play. I had nicked name the hole the "Daytona 500" hole because of the left to right high banking fairway on the dogleg left. I hope to return to play after completing my transition from x-step to three step sometime this summer. The extra distance will be needed.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8964

Attachments

• lm10.jpg
    lm10.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I guess Trey and Corey need something to keep them occupied this spring. :)

I've met Corey on both of my visits, great guy. On the Lions I was dragging my behind on 12, which was my 16th. Corey pulled up and asked if I was okay, that wounded me :). Chatted for a short time. The most exhausting course I've played yet.

The Village north of Richmond is now extinct. A parting review:

Pro: From 1st tee to 18th basket one of the best wooded courses I've played.

Con: The overgrowth was overwhelming, and a miserable walk. Also broken tee signs, and pavers.

Thought: If the course was cleaned up, I would have ranked it #1 in the Richmond area.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9020

The Village north of Richmond is now extinct. A parting review:

Pro: From 1st tee to 18th basket one of the best wooded courses I've played.

Con: The overgrowth was overwhelming, and a miserable walk. Also broken tee signs, and pavers.

Thought: If the course was cleaned up, I would have ranked it #1 in the Richmond area.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9020

I tried to play it last week. Woman in the campground office told me they are under new ownership and the course was removed, so I sent the mods a pm to mark it extinct. I was pretty disappointed.

I loved Mayflower Hills the first couple times I played it but eventually the constant putt roll-offs that became annoying. Ballou #2, Independence Park, and Primland are some of my favorites. Agreed on Roanoke Highland Hills being an excellent 9 holer. Greenfield in Troutdale is a great course. Sandusky and Hydeaway are two of the better ones in the course-rich Lynchburg area.

In 10 years the best course in VA will be the one I am building near Martinsville but hardly anyone will want to play there besides me. :p

Anyone know when hawk hollow usually opens?

"Usually" has little or nothing to do with that question currently. HH is going to wind up open on a much more regular basis and with some more amenities (Air BnB on site among them) in the not too distant future. When specifically that is is dependent on a few things that are wholly unrelated to disc golf and beyond my control. Might not be until Labor Day or so (I was hoping for April 1 but that bird has flown).

"Usually" has little or nothing to do with that question currently. HH is going to wind up open on a much more regular basis and with some more amenities (Air BnB on site among them) in the not too distant future. When specifically that is is dependent on a few things that are wholly unrelated to disc golf and beyond my control. Might not be until Labor Day or so (I was hoping for April 1 but that bird has flown).
That's great news ! I'm assuming the issue with the creek has been resolved ?

That's great news ! I'm assuming the issue with the creek has been resolved ?

There's no real ongoing issue with the creek. About once a year it is going to flood such that the bridges wash out. Takes a couple hours with tractor and loader to put them back once water has receded.

I loved Mayflower Hills the first couple times I played it but eventually the constant putt roll-offs that became annoying. Ballou #2, Independence Park, and Primland are some of my favorites. Agreed on Roanoke Highland Hills being an excellent 9 holer. Greenfield in Troutdale is a great course. Sandusky and Hydeaway are two of the better ones in the course-rich Lynchburg area.

In 10 years the best course in VA will be the one I am building near Martinsville but hardly anyone will want to play there besides me. :p

Are they mowing Greenfield now? I played there a few years ago with a friend and if you were 2' off the fairway you were in hip high grass. (May be an exaggeration but I wouldn't return)

There's no real ongoing issue with the creek. About once a year it is going to flood such that the bridges wash out. Takes a couple hours with tractor and loader to put them back once water has receded.
Oh. I thought you were going to have to fence it off to keep the cattle out due to water regs...

any suggestions for courses near i77? I'll be visiting Ohio a couple times this summer and want to play some VA/WV courses. Last one I played was that small college course in Bluefield.

any suggestions for courses near i77? I'll be visiting Ohio a couple times this summer and want to play some VA/WV courses. Last one I played was that small college course in Bluefield.

If you filter 3.5+ rated courses along I-77 you will see a bunch on my wish list. Unfortunately I have not played there (yet?) so I cannot give you specific recommendations.

You may find helpful suggestions on this thread: wolfhaley to the Carolinas. And Georgia (barely)

I will point out that the brand-new New River Gorge National Park in on your route.

If you filter 3.5+ rated courses along I-77 you will see a bunch on my wish list. Unfortunately I have not played there (yet?) so I cannot give you specific recommendations.

You may find helpful suggestions on this thread: wolfhaley to the Carolinas. And Georgia (barely)

I will point out that the brand-new New River Gorge National Park in on your route.

how is the new river gorge np

Greenfield

Are they mowing Greenfield now? I played there a few years ago with a friend and if you were 2' off the fairway you were in hip high grass. (May be an exaggeration but I wouldn't return)

I live about an hour south of Greenfield and play it every couple of months and they seem to be mowing more frequently these days. The OB does tend to grow up some in the summer months but I haven't seen the knee high grass in some time.