• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Viridisk is having our Black Friday deal. =P

Viridisk

We got the last two parts of the 2014 Ledgestone Insurance Open and one new walkthrough video in glorious 4k . :D

But before you hit that play button, we wanted to let you know we made some changes.

From the amazing feedback you guys gave us in this thread: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110033

We have adjusted a few things in our video:

A) You guys wanted pro commentary. We got two of them. And for walkthroughs we will strive to find experienced locals to give you informative and detailed walkthroughs of these courses. We had two guests from the local disc golf community in Kenosha to come out and give us a full in-depth walkthrough of the Parkside Campus course.

B) A few of you did not like how cluttered our Picture in Picture was, a few others did, so we reduced how many and how often they appear. By also reducing the quantity we were able to make the one and rarely two that appear larger giving better detail to the player's form. Although you can stream this from pretty much your wrist-watch in this day and age, we recommend these tournaments are best enjoyed with friends, snacks, a couch and a large screen TV.

The footage is still being processed by Youtube. So all of them are scheduled to drop at 5PM CST.

UW Parkside Kenosha Wisconsin
Guest Commentators:
Brothers Nathan & Justin Van Ee

Here are rounds 4 and the final of the Ledgestone Insurance Open
We have guest Commentary from Pro Disc Golfers:
Brett Cominicioli & Kenny Glassman.

***PLEASE NOTE*** We are aware of the Echo Effect at the beginning of round 4. We apologize for that, it was resolved shortly after so only the first few minutes were affected.

If you have any questions or comments let us know.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

- Viridisk Team

It is still processing by YouTube so the 1080p and 4k resolutions aren't available yet so we have them all scheduled to drop at 5PM CST. :)

Nice work guys! The commentary is MUCH better than previously and everything looks cleaner in general. I thought it was a good balance of multiple angles without feeling too cluttered. Definitely a step in the right direction, congrats!

Commentary is cleaner.

I did not see the original feedback thread, but I'm glad you got some feedback. To be honest, I'm subscribed to your channel but these Ledgestone videos are the FIRST videos from you guys that I have watched until the end. I just couldn't do it before. The biggest killers to me were the commentary (no offense, it was just a little slow and it put me to sleep) and the overkill with picture in picture.

The commentary in these videos was great. I like that the commentators clearly did not see the videos before recording so they were just as surprised with outcomes on some of the shots as the viewers. The knowledge of the course is also very helpful when describing the shots.

That being said, I still think the picture in picture is still a bit much. I don't think you should at any point have more than one additional video feed in the screen. There is nobody alive that can pay attention to three video feeds at the same time. Not to mention that when you have that many, the screen is so cluttered that you can barely see the fairway in the main full screen view. I think picture in picture is helpful when there is actually added value from having a second angle. Something like an additional camera near the landing area on blind or long distance shots, or maybe different angles for tricky putts. If it's a routine putt on the green, you don't need two angles of it. If it's a wide open shot, you probably don't need two angles of it. Just because you have multiple feeds doesn't mean you need to show them all. It is nice to have more than one, however, because then you have the luxury of showing the better angle when editing. Just don't stuff everything you have on one screen.

I like the overall improvement I'm seeing from video to video. I think you guys will have some top notch stuff coming next year if it keeps up.

edit - there was a bit of an echo on some of the commentary. Not sure if the volume on the recording computer was on, but it would probably be helpful to turn the speakers down a notch.

Last edited:
First of all, thanks for investing the time and effort into providing this high quality dg footage. I really do appreciate it.

I posted in the other thread, and since you've been so open to suggestions, here are mine after 26 minutes of the final 9 (which I'll finish as soon as I type this).

I have two audio related requests. First, the echo did continue throughout the video and didn't stop after just the first few holes. It is most noticeable on the quiet commentator than the louder one. I figure that you'll have this cleaned up in no time on future videos.

Plus I also greatly miss the natural sounds of the came. With only the commentary track, you miss the sound of feet on the tee pads, the gallery cheering, player comments, and, of course, the sound of the chains.

As far as the video goes, the PIP is still just a distraction to me. Sometimes it's actually in the way of the primary video and you lose track of what's going on with the big screen. And a few times, I was wishing that the PIP footage would have been used as the primary view. This is just my opinion, but it seems that PIP should be reserved for replays and extra technique footage, etc., and not for the primary video.

Again, thanks very much for all of the work that you put into these. You're only getting my complaints here, but it's safe for you to assume that the rest is all good! :thmbup:

I'm really digging your videos. I would really like to hear the "sounds of the round", but I am grateful guys like you put in hard work to bring quality disc golf to my television! Keep it up! THANKS!!

…more of these videos might be what will "grow the sport"

Nice work guys! The commentary is MUCH better than previously and everything looks cleaner in general. I thought it was a good balance of multiple angles without feeling too cluttered. Definitely a step in the right direction, congrats!

Thank you for the kind comments! :thmbup:

Commentary is cleaner.

I did not see the original feedback thread, but I'm glad you got some feedback. To be honest, I'm subscribed to your channel but these Ledgestone videos are the FIRST videos from you guys that I have watched until the end. I just couldn't do it before. The biggest killers to me were the commentary (no offense, it was just a little slow and it put me to sleep) and the overkill with picture in picture.

The commentary in these videos was great. I like that the commentators clearly did not see the videos before recording so they were just as surprised with outcomes on some of the shots as the viewers. The knowledge of the course is also very helpful when describing the shots.

That being said, I still think the picture in picture is still a bit much. I don't think you should at any point have more than one additional video feed in the screen. There is nobody alive that can pay attention to three video feeds at the same time. Not to mention that when you have that many, the screen is so cluttered that you can barely see the fairway in the main full screen view. I think picture in picture is helpful when there is actually added value from having a second angle. Something like an additional camera near the landing area on blind or long distance shots, or maybe different angles for tricky putts. If it's a routine putt on the green, you don't need two angles of it. If it's a wide open shot, you probably don't need two angles of it. Just because you have multiple feeds doesn't mean you need to show them all. It is nice to have more than one, however, because then you have the luxury of showing the better angle when editing. Just don't stuff everything you have on one screen.

I like the overall improvement I'm seeing from video to video. I think you guys will have some top notch stuff coming next year if it keeps up.

edit - there was a bit of an echo on some of the commentary. Not sure if the volume on the recording computer was on, but it would probably be helpful to turn the speakers down a notch.

Yes, sorry we had these videos pretty much done editing when the feedback from the last thread came in. So we scrapped it and re-did as much as possible in 1/3rd the time plus scheduling and yes we were far from completely happy with the overall end-product. So much polish we need to do!

First of all, thanks for investing the time and effort into providing this high quality dg footage. I really do appreciate it.

I posted in the other thread, and since you've been so open to suggestions, here are mine after 26 minutes of the final 9 (which I'll finish as soon as I type this).

I have two audio related requests. First, the echo did continue throughout the video and didn't stop after just the first few holes. It is most noticeable on the quiet commentator than the louder one. I figure that you'll have this cleaned up in no time on future videos.

Plus I also greatly miss the natural sounds of the came. With only the commentary track, you miss the sound of feet on the tee pads, the gallery cheering, player comments, and, of course, the sound of the chains.

As far as the video goes, the PIP is still just a distraction to me. Sometimes it's actually in the way of the primary video and you lose track of what's going on with the big screen. And a few times, I was wishing that the PIP footage would have been used as the primary view. This is just my opinion, but it seems that PIP should be reserved for replays and extra technique footage, etc., and not for the primary video.

Again, thanks very much for all of the work that you put into these. You're only getting my complaints here, but it's safe for you to assume that the rest is all good! :thmbup:

Yes, the Echo was very annoying, but with the limited time we had with Brett and Kenny we had to make do with what we had and cleaned it up as best we could digitally. We procured Mic's that were extremely clear and concise, however we did not expect them to be EXTREMLY sensitive (at the beginning it was a 50% and we had to put it all the way down and it was still there!) we will be tinkering with them for future videos or replacing them.

The PIP is still on the table but we will continue to reduce it until one of two things happens:

1) People who want it tell us that we've removed too much

2) People who don't want it let us know that we've hit the sweet spot that doesn't annoy them anymore.

We want to bring out content that as many people enjoy it as possible. So if that means slowly adjusting it until everyone's happy then that's what we'll do.

We strive for quality, constantly improving. We're actually very disappointed in YouTube because a lot of our editing is in color correction and what we see on our monitors is not what you'll see on YouTube. The compression is so heavy that bushes or extremely cluttered areas get grainy and it is very irritating. Our 4k video there is compressed FIFTY PERCENT!

I'm really digging your videos. I would really like to hear the "sounds of the round", but I am grateful guys like you put in hard work to bring quality disc golf to my television! Keep it up! THANKS!!

…more of these videos might be what will "grow the sport"

Thanks! And we're glad that you're watching it on a TV. We know a majority of our viewers watch on Mobile and PC's, but our content is really aimed towards being a "Sporting Event". You'll see come next year there will be some large changes in length, content and quality of our videos and as always when we make these transitions, we will be conferring with all of you, the viewers, for feedback. :thmbup:

To wrap it up, we are ashamed to say the lack of ambient noise was a poorly timed mistake on our side. :( I will be rectified for future videos for sure!

Again, thanks everyone for watching!

- Viridisk Team

Haha, if you're going to include ambient noise make sure the quadcopter is not hovering above :p That's the first thing I thought of when I read that suggestion (and chuckled).

Really though, great to see you guys taking suggestions and improving. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do what you guys do. Every time I have the idea to go film a round I end up playing instead. It's hard.

Again, I just want to reiterate how much I appreciate the work you're doing with these videos. And I am looking forward to continued enhancements and improvements. Keep up the great work.

Last edited:
Nice work guys!

Q. My 10 yr old son wants one of the quad-copters/drone with the camera attached for Christmas. Since we will probably end up crashing it like noobs, would those small and cheaper models (under $100) be good enough to get some decent video footage until I can get him something nicer when he has some flight hrs under his belt?

Q. I noticed most of the lower end models have maybe 10 min max of flight time before the battery needs recharging. Is that enough time to really get some good aerial footage or too much of a pain having to recharge all the time? I'd like him to try it out by doing some flyby's of my private course.

Nice work guys!

Q. My 10 yr old son wants one of the quad-copters/drone with the camera attached for Christmas. Since we will probably end up crashing it like noobs, would those small and cheaper models (under $100) be good enough to get some decent video footage until I can get him something nicer when he has some flight hrs under his belt?

Q. I noticed most of the lower end models have maybe 10 min max of flight time before the battery needs recharging. Is that enough time to really get some good aerial footage or too much of a pain having to recharge all the time? I'd like him to try it out by doing some flyby's of my private course.

I'd take your questions to the following forums for the best answers:

http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

I've not used quads but have dabbled into RC helis and that is a great place for info. I'm far from an expert, but some quick notes I have:
- 10 mins of flight time is more than enough time assuming you are getting a model with a changeable battery, not an all in one cheapy from wally world. Grab a few batts and you are good to go.
- Get something small to learn on. I can't emphasize this enough. For one - it's cheaper WHEN (not if) you crash. For two - the damage done to whatever it hits scales exponentially as the size increases. From micro models that may scuff your wall slightly when flown in the living room.....to OMG WTF type damage that can kill in a full size copter.
- If this is to be more than a novelty xmas fun toy, get a hobby grade quad where you can get easy replaceable parts. This will mean a lot more money - but it opens up a whole another addiction (don't ask - I have 5 helis in my basement now)...

I've not used quads but have dabbled into RC helis and that is a great place for info. I'm far from an expert, but some quick notes I have:
- 10 mins of flight time is more than enough time assuming you are getting a model with a changeable battery, not an all in one cheapy from wally world. Grab a few batts and you are good to go.
- Get something small to learn on. I can't emphasize this enough. For one - it's cheaper WHEN (not if) you crash. For two - the damage done to whatever it hits scales exponentially as the size increases. From micro models that may scuff your wall slightly when flown in the living room.....to OMG WTF type damage that can kill in a full size copter.
- If this is to be more than a novelty xmas fun toy, get a hobby grade quad where you can get easy replaceable parts. This will mean a lot more money - but it opens up a whole another addiction (don't ask - I have 5 helis in my basement now)...

Thanks man :thmbup:

Haha, if you're going to include ambient noise make sure the quadcopter is not hovering above :p That's the first thing I thought of when I read that suggestion (and chuckled).

Really though, great to see you guys taking suggestions and improving. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do what you guys do. Every time I have the idea to go film a round I end up playing instead. It's hard.

Oh gosh it's been a wild ride for us so far. We have so many ideas we are trying or going to try for. But resources are always an issue.

Again, I just want to reiterate how much I appreciate the work you're doing with these videos. And I am looking forward to continued enhancements and improvements. Keep up the great work.

Thank you! Encouragement like this fuels us!

Nice work guys!

In short...the answer is no if you want "quality" footage. You will not find it realistically under $100.

This is a VERY large topic, but I will try to cover as many of the big topics to try to answer your question.

It's a good idea to start small for a beginner pilot, as Timeetyo has stated for WHEN you crash. And we say this because sometimes a crash happens outside of your control. It WILL happen.

A smaller drone is great because they can take the hits better, there is less mass behind them to hurt themselves. Also batteries will be considerably smaller, which means much cheaper, so you can stock up.

Ideally most cameras mounted on cheaper drones are purely to see WHERE you're going and not so much what you want to see. Quality will be low, viewing angle will be suited more for flying and not so much capturing scenery.

But most importantly none of them are going to equipped with a true gimbal system. Which means your view will be very shaky and every time the drone makes extreme angled movements (which they will because of the nature of Quad-copters) the camera view will be fixated to these angles so if you plan on showing it to people they might not appreciate the camera tilting 40-60 degrees every few seconds.

Personally.

I would recommend investing in a $200-$300 range. These tend to be made with higher quality parts to aid in stabilization and GPS benefits. Their parts are larger but small enough to survive some decent crashes, but affordable if they break. Also good chance they might have a simple FPV setup to your phone and such. They tend to be upgradable and might offer
possibilities of motor, battery and gimbal upgrades.

It just depends on how dedicated you want to be in this.

Because of the frequency we use our drones, we opted for a smaller-medium one about 5 lbs. They're quite durable and have taken some hard landings and collisions.

Buy spare props.

If flying outside use your head and fly safely. Power lines, roads. Don't fly OVER people unless you're a good distance up.

Practice in open fields first.

:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

Last edited:

Latest posts