• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VisionQuest DGC

Billy K2

Par Member
Lately I've been noticing a lot of reviews for VisionQuest, which I think are fake. They are all 4.5 and 5 star reviews, and most of them are coming from an account where they have only reviewed 1 course. Something seems a little shady to me, anyone else feel the same way?

Judging by the photos of the course... 4.5s and 5.0s may not be skewing the place much off of its natural score. DAMN.

I think they are legit. From the pics it looks like they put a lot of work and money into the place. Name is a little funny to me since my friends and I used to call our dream girls from college our "Vision Quest"

I don't think they're fake. Drive by reviews? For sure. For an owner to check in with a group of players and say "Hey did you like the course? Oh, you thought it was the best thing you ever played? Could you do me a favor and check out this website called DGCR and write a review for me? Awesome, I'll remember that next time you're out here and give you a free beer" Or whatever the dialogue is. I know for a fact it happens at Rollin Ridge, and look where that got them - they have a chart on the wall that shows how many reviews they have, and how many more 5 star reviews it will take to move them into the number one position. It's a marketing strategy, and it works.

I don't think they're fake. Drive by reviews? For sure. For an owner to check in with a group of players and say "Hey did you like the course? Oh, you thought it was the best thing you ever played? Could you do me a favor and check out this website called DGCR and write a review for me? Awesome, I'll remember that next time you're out here and give you a free beer" Or whatever the dialogue is. I know for a fact it happens at Rollin Ridge, and look where that got them - they have a chart on the wall that shows how many reviews they have, and how many more 5 star reviews it will take to move them into the number one position. It's a marketing strategy, and it works.

FWIW, I've been to Rollin' Ridge a ton of times, and never once have the owners ever mentioned anything about reviews or course ranking.

It's pretty much the Minnesotan PK Park, so eh, it is what it is. I usually just click on them, read through, and vote them down if there's no substance to them

the pictures of the course do look good. but i really like how there is a picture of the restrooms

When I played doubles at Vision Quest, the owner, on a few occasions, told people to check out DGCR and review the course. I never heard him once tell people how to review it, or use any sort of suggestive language. I think he just wants to get the word out about his course and he knows DGCR is one of the strongest channels available. The owner seems like a great guy and I doubt he's trying to do anything sketchy.

I wonder how many are paying members...?

I doubt any? I don't think think that whole process has been set up yet. He has opened his course up to the community a few times (always with great attendance) and I know he shows friends and friends of friends around quite a bit. A majority of discers I know have played the course by now.

By the way, I haven't reviewed it, but it is awesome :)

I was wondering when someone was going to start this thread.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of the reviewers state how they've played many courses all over the country and VisionQuest is different/more awesome than any other course they've played. Then you see that many show 1 played/ 1 reviewed. Or one guy had 206 courses played, and the only review he wrote was for VisionQuest. I didn't even look to see when most of these reviewers opened their account here.

For all I know, the course deserves 5 disc ratings, I hope it does, but on the surface it does seem that there are some shenanigans going on here. At least they're not all talking about how clean and friendly it is.

I don't know, timg rated it highly, and Cale Leiviska is listed as one of the designers, so...it's prolly a pretty good course. 4-5 worthy? Over time that will figure itself out.

I have yet to review a course, but if I rolled into a private course that looked like that and provided a challenging and fun experience, I might be tempted to throw out a review, especially because it is new. Might want to encourage people to play it/support it...

It really is amazing to see the number of people that have reviewed it in such a short time period. This has to be the most reviews a course has received in one month - right up there with PKP.

VQ is at least a 4-disc rating. No way it's a 5, though. Fake or not, over time, the reviews will accurately represent VQ, I think.

The real deal

I've been lurking without an account on DGCR for years. Before we even Tee'd off when we played VisionQuest, Mike the owner asked if we would leave a review on DGCR when we were done. No promises made, no shenanigans. He actually has made changes to the course based on the feedback from some of the reviews...which is awesome. So, I created an account, gave it a 5 star review...which it most definitely deserves, and continued to give ratings to the other courses I played this year.

Good marketing, good suggestion box. Win Win for the players and the owner.

Latest posts