• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] VTech

MikeTheBlueCow

Par Member
I wanted to have a discussion about Innova's VTech technology, what it is, discs that have it, discs we want it on, etc.

From what I've seen, VTech is Innova's way of adding gyroscopic effect to their discs without overmolding, basically just by adding mass to the rims through the use of a convex rim bottom. So far they have only applied it to putters and mids, either creating a variant of an existing model or creating a new model in it's own right. By adding mass to the rim, the goal of this technology is to reduce turn and fade.

So does this mean it only makes sense for this tech to be applied to discs that are intended to be straight-flyers? In that vein, I'm very interested in seeing this applied to higher speed discs than mids. Such as a V-Teebird (VBird? Veebird?) to make a straighter disc. You could say the TL does that, but I'd think a Veebird would have a different flight, more HSS and than a TL. If they could get it to work for even higher speed discs they could go up the line and make straighter distance drivers.

What are all the discs that use VTech? VRoc, Whale, Wombat, Commander, Colt, VCobra... Am I missing anything?

Vtech is really just marketing.

All discs are "gyroscopic" as most of the mass is in the rim, the outermost part of the disc. MVP is overmolded, but the "gyro" is really nothing different than any other disc. They are really just pushing the weight out a little further.. This is why they dont do anything magical.. like flying 1000'. We might need Lizotte to verify that though.

Prodigy's "Easy Release Technology" is really just a fancy way of saying we put a bigger round on the bottom edge of the disc so that it comes off the hand better.

Last edited:
Vtech is really just marketing.
All discs are "gyroscopic" as most of the mass is in the rim, the outermost part of the disc. MVP is overmolded, but the "gyro" is really nothing different than any other disc. They are really just pushing the weight out a little further.. This is why they dont do anything magical.. like flying 1000'. We might need Lizotte to verify that though.

VTech is the convex underside of the rim and the bead. It's not just marketing but one particular way that discs are molded.

And all discs are gyroscopic... that's how they fly! That's the physics of what a gyroscope and what discs are and what they do.

At any rate... the VTech rims cause discs to fly straighter for faster and longer, IMHO partially due to the weight on the outside of the disc, and partially because of the underside (especially the bead) adding to that stability/neutrality of flight.

A disc thrown flat out of the hand but slightly erroneously will tend to flatten out. I've tried to throw some VTech discs with hyzer, and they'll try to flatten out (though eventually they do hyzer out on the fade).

I don't know how effective VTech will be on faster discs. I'm sure Innova will try it out in their labs and shops and ranges, but whether or not we'll see them in production, I dunno....

Gyroscopic is an on/off thing. It's either gyroscopic or it's not. There are no degrees to it, either 1 or 0. All discs are gyroscopic already, so 1 not 0. You can't turn a light switch off, on, and then more on. It's already gyroscopic. There's nothing more to it.

VTech is the convex underside of the rim and the bead. It's not just marketing but one particular way that discs are molded.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how all the dozens of convex winged discs innova has made over the years are NOT somehow "Vtech enhanced" or whatever?

Seriously. Convex wings have been around forever. How is this any different?

So does this mean it only makes sense for this tech to be applied to discs that are intended to be straight-flyers? In that vein, I'm very interested in seeing this applied to higher speed discs than mids. Such as a V-Teebird (VBird? Veebird?) to make a straighter disc. You could say the TL does that, but I'd think a Veebird would have a different flight, more HSS and than a TL. If they could get it to work for even higher speed discs they could go up the line and make straighter distance drivers.

Why would you want a convex wing on a driver? That is a very defeatist approach to making a driver me thinks.

Why would you want a convex wing on a driver? That is a very defeatist approach to making a driver me thinks.

Some of the longest drivers made have a convex area to the wing. It's not huge(Large on Krait) but it's there. Tern, Mamba, Valk etc.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how all the dozens of convex winged discs innova has made over the years are NOT somehow "Vtech enhanced" or whatever?

Seriously. Convex wings have been around forever. How is this any different?

I don't know that it IS any different. Maybe the deliberate, fairly big bead matched to the convex rim, or maybe doing this to previously existing mold tops is the difference.

(Or maybe it's the packaging of it with dimmer switches, but I digress...)

Some of the longest drivers made have a convex area to the wing. It's not huge(Large on Krait) but it's there. Tern, Mamba, Valk etc.

And some of the most popular drivers ever sold have a concave divot in the wing.

I'll have to molest my girlfriends Valk when I get home, I've never noticed that on that mold and I don't own any of the others you mentioned. I guess when I posted I was more referring to a big, fat convex wing, similar to a "Vtech" mid or putter.

Gyroscopic is an on/off thing. It's either gyroscopic or it's not. There are no degrees to it, either 1 or 0. All discs are gyroscopic already, so 1 not 0. You can't turn a light switch off, on, and then more on. It's already gyroscopic. There's nothing more to it.

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Will rewatch then. When the video starts he is talking about the blizzard boss he set the record with.

Yeah. He says that he only throws the blizzard bosses with the bubbles in the plate, because the ones with the bubbles only in the rim don't have enough mass in the wing to go as far. Or something along those lines.

Innova is my favorite brand. With that said I have to say this VTech crap is a marketing scheme to sell discs. It's the same with MVPs gyro overmold technology. It's just to get people to buy some new plastic. I have a couple Whales. I gotta say I haven't noticed anything special about them that would make me consider this VTech crap anything special.

I don't know if VTech is or isn't better, but I do know that I don't like how it feels in my hands. So i'll pass on all the hubbub.