• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] VTech

Thankfully the bright minds of DGCR are here to sniff out marketing BS like frisbee weight distribution and dimmer switches

Zam, don't forget all the spin dyers out there need those dimmers for their spin rigs :D.

V-Tech, weather it is hype, fact, BS in general, I dont know. I will say the Proto Colts feel good in the hand and works for me as a tweener mid and approaching disc.

Innova sucked up :sick: the Colt with the "re-tool", they need to re-re-tool back to the Proto mold.

Last edited:
Innova is my favorite brand. With that said I have to say this VTech crap is a marketing scheme to sell discs. It's the same with MVPs gyro overmold technology. It's just to get people to buy some new plastic. I have a couple Whales. I gotta say I haven't noticed anything special about them that would make me consider this VTech crap anything special.
I don't know if VTech is or isn't better, but I do know that I don't like how it feels in my hands. So i'll pass on all the hubbub.

I must respectfully disagree with both of these comments. I have the Wombat, Colt, VRoc, and VCobra. The Colt and VCobra are in my bag. The VRoc feels more comfortable in my hand than the Roc3, though the Roc3 (and Shark3) performs better for me in places where I use it. The VCobra and Colt are very comfortable in my hand, and perform well for me. The Wombat, unfortunately, has not performed well for me and the Foxbat is superior to it.

But VTech is perfectly legitimate, and those who like it should use it, and those who don't like it should use what works for them....

If it's unclear, I think VTech is legit. Thinner plates and bulkier rims, more efficient weight distribution, and straighter flights. If they named a Tech after thicker plates you'd suddenly be praising that magical Calish Glide. Measure some plate thicknesses and be amazed.

Zam, don't forget all the spin dyers out there need those dimmers for their spin rigs :D.

V-Tech, weather it is hype, fact, BS in general, I dont know. I will say the Proto Colts feel good in the hand and works for me as a tweener mid and approaching disc.

Innova sucked up :sick: the Colt with the "re-tool", they need to re-re-tool back to the Proto mold.

Agree on retooling the colt

I must respectfully disagree with both of these comments. I have the Wombat, Colt, VRoc, and VCobra. The Colt and VCobra are in my bag. The VRoc feels more comfortable in my hand than the Roc3, though the Roc3 (and Shark3) performs better for me in places where I use it. The VCobra and Colt are very comfortable in my hand, and perform well for me. The Wombat, unfortunately, has not performed well for me and the Foxbat is superior to it.

But VTech is perfectly legitimate, and those who like it should use it, and those who don't like it should use what works for them....

I also feel as if many of the v molds are more comfortable in hand than their non V counterparts. I however cannot attest to many differences in flight.

Agree on retooling the colt

I also feel as if many of the v molds are more comfortable in hand than their non V counterparts. I however cannot attest to many differences in flight.

Would love to see the Star Colt, while currently good, be even more like the proto Colt.

There ARE some differences between V-discs and their non-V counterparts. At least to me. But even without major differences, the more comfortable grip is a deal maker for me.

Having said that, I'm not just going to buy a V-disc just because Innova puts it out there. It has to serve a purpose in my bag...

I'm not saying Innova didn't add more weight in the rims & less in the flight plates. I am saying the differences between a VTech disc & a disc that isn't VTech aren't blatantly obvious in their performance (for me). I field tested my friends VRoc & compared it to my Rocs. I didn't see any improvement in distance or anything "special" about the VRoc at all. I may have come off mean in my earlier post. I just don't think Innovas VTech is anything revolutionary. Innova claims on their website that the VRoc "tends to have longer range as a bonus" comparing it to San Marino Rocs...that's why I consider this more of a marketing tool.

I'm not saying Innova didn't add more weight in the rims & less in the flight plates. I am saying the differences between a VTech disc & a disc that isn't VTech aren't blatantly obvious in their performance (for me). I field tested my friends VRoc & compared it to my Rocs. I didn't see any improvement in distance or anything "special" about the VRoc at all. I may have come off mean in my earlier post. I just don't think Innovas VTech is anything revolutionary. Innova claims on their website that the VRoc "tends to have longer range as a bonus" comparing it to San Marino Rocs...that's why I consider this more of a marketing tool.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. The VRoc is not an improvement on the Roc3. But it's a pretty good disc for me if I want a straight flight with a reliable fade. But then came the VCobra, which gave that straight flight even better, definitely longer. It was actually the VCobra that beat out my VRoc. For hard hyzers, the Roc3/Shark3 definitely outshine the VRoc, as the V-Tech actually works against my desired hyzer flight path.

And sure, there is marketing to it. Innova's trying to sell discs, of course. But the VTech is still a specific thing (convex underside rim and bead), it does have some good qualities, and some (like me) will embrace some aspects of it (for me, it's the MUCH more comfortable grip/feel). So it is what it is.

IMHO, if there is anything Innova is not doing right, it's putting out too many of these on top of each other, instead of spacing them out. I get a VRoc and whoosh! here comes the VCobra! No sooner do I get the VCobra, and hey, presto! the Manta is coming out. Both me and my wallet are tired...

Some of the longest drivers made have a convex area to the wing. It's not huge(Large on Krait) but it's there. Tern, Mamba, Valk etc.

I can say for sure that a roadrunner is convex on the underside of the wing. In general I think that understable drivers tend to be convex on the underside of the wing, whereas OS drivers tend to be concave on the underside of the wing (firebird, monster, banshee, etc). Heck, look at the difference between and eagle X and L.

For putters and mids this holds true to some extent, but I think that the generally blunter shapes suppresses the effects. So as to question of whether or not VTech can be effectively implemented on higher speed discs:

I don't know how effective VTech will be on faster discs. I'm sure Innova will try it out in their labs and shops and ranges, but whether or not we'll see them in production, I dunno....

I'd guess that it could be done, but might have other unintended consequences for the stability.

I'd guess that it could be done, but might have other unintended consequences for the stability.

Yes, I don't think we're going be seeing a V-Firebird any time soon... :p

Then again... :eek:

Seriously, whether or not it's the intended purpose, V-Tech provides added stable/neutral flight with some self-correcting properties (meaning that slight errors when thrown are "corrected" as the disc tries to flatten/straighten out).

If a TL (just for an example) can be given a V-Tech bottom while retaining it's overall speed, turn and fade characteristics at the end, and with no loss of distance, then we might see one. Ditto that for a Valkyrie or a Sidewinder. But IMHO V-Tech serves us best at the discs on the lower end of the speed scale...