• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wadpe's 2020 ITB

wadpe

Par Member
Been more active lately, but little rusty after the winter and snow.

Info.
Years of playing - Almost two years.
Throwing style - RHBH
Level - Hobbyist.

Putt's

D-line P2 175 - All inside circle1 and not going to chance it any time soon.
D-line P2 175 - Just extra for warmup and for water behind basket.

Mids

Kc Pro Roc 180 - Slightly OS.
Dx Roc - 280 Straight. Can go further if thrown in hyzer with more speed, otherwise it will just annie.
Kc Pro Roc 177 - Understable.
C-line MD3 - Understable, very beat-up.

Drivers

C-line FD 175 - Straight with gentle shots.
Star Roadrunner 175- understable, flip-and-fly.
Champ Savant 175 - Beat-up straight, similar to FD but with stronger fade.
Champ Firebird ??? - 12x PFN seasoned, more like a Gstar Thunderbird
Star Teebird 172 - Straight-to-OS.

Champ Wraith 171 - Max D with more fade and intended skip.
Star Wraith 175 - Same as above except little more stable.

That's about it. I am not quite getting the speed I want yet, but I am more control oriented and I want to believe it helps towards better technique and longer throws. I am not quite sure with the understable Roc and MD3, they kind of overlap. I need more training because half of my drives result in heavy OAT and it doesn't help with the midranges.

MD3 is so understable that it tends flip over even from slight hyzer and carries that annie, while the Roc is more like straight-no-fade from hyzer-release. Might give it a few tries, I like rocs as a mold very much.

For addition I would look for a OS putter/mid, maybe Star Roc3, MD5, Razor Claw, Zone, AVIARX3 or similar discs. So far I have been using drivers for skipshots or spikehyzers when it comes to approaches.

Some additions I forgot to post:

D-line TD 175 - Quick Fliprollers, also troubleshots.
400 H3v2 - Feels awesome, overstable. For headwind and RHFH approuches.

My Star Teebird and Opto Explorer are very similar shaped but I like the Teebird better in my hand, the dome in explorer feels little uncomfortable. The explorer is more like a backup.

The 400 H3v2 feels slightly similar to my firebird except more stable, the firebird turns somewhat if thrown into headwind.

It's interesting that you've been able to beat up a Champ Savant to an FD-"ish" flight. Was it a workhorse disc for you, that you threw a lot, or was it that way to begin with?

It's interesting that you've been able to beat up a Champ Savant to an FD-"ish" flight. Was it a workhorse disc for you, that you threw a lot, or was it that way to begin with?
No it was pretty much a meathook when it was new. I didn't really have the power to throw it but it was more like hyzer-approuch disc. It has seen some heavy abuse, the champion plastic can hold the stability quite a long time. But I noticed that after like a year I got subbtle turn out of it, but it still has pretty hard fade. The biggest difference is probably that it doesn't skip like a distance driver.

For comparison my friend's Star Savant was pretty stable I really cant turn it at all, and my champ was pretty close to it originally. But then again for big arms something like a CD2 is not overstable.

Went to throw today and had some problems with releases (rounding, the usual)

Putters
Same 2x D-line P2, S-line P2
D-line P1x - Beat-up, standstill anhyzer.

Mids
2x Kc Roc (1 straight with slight finish, one slightly understable)

Drivers
400 H3V2 - most stable
Champ Firebird - Slightly OS (seasoned)
Champ Savant - little beat-up, straight.
Star Roadrunner - Turnovers, hyzerflips.
C-line FD - straight.
D-line TD - Rollers.

I lost my Dx Roc :(

My newer KC Roc turned out to be pretty straight, I might need to get a more overstable midrange for windy stuff.

I'm leaving all my fast discs out since I don't consistent form yet, but I already felt similar to last year, but I didn't quite get the power I wanted. i am using the Champ Savant and Star Roadrunner the most, and KC roc for straight drivers. When the wind kicks in I switch to more stable discs.

I have been practicing a lot with midranges and angle control, I feel more confident with hitting lines and woth my disc selection.

Putters: - I'm trying to keep this simple.
D-line P2 - Putts.
D-line P2 - Slightly understable thrower, backup for putts.
S-line P2 - Slightly overstable thrower.
D-line P1x - Quite beat-up, for ocasional short anhyzer.

Midranges:
Kc Pro Roc - Straight.
Kc Pro Roc - More beat-in understable.

Fairways:
Swirly S-line FD3 Doombird3 - Most overstable, just strong headwind and mostly approach disc.
H3v2 - Overstable but quite fast and goes pretty far, headwind disc.
Opto Explorer - Stable fairway when I want lots of control in the finish.
Champ Savant - Straight distance with ground control.
C-line FD - Straight.
Star Roadrunner - Understable.
D-line TD - Very understable, rollers.

Distance: Star Wraith

I'm quite happy with my form but the power is not quite there, I feel like I'm throwing smooth works but I am not going that far.

I also tried my friends mako3 and it flew super straight, also it was a bit faster. Don't know if I should invest in one.

How far are you throwing? A Star Wraith is a pretty overstable disc for most "hobbyist" level players. If you like the feel of the Wraith but want something to pair it with that'll go straighter/farther, I'd take a look at a Trespass, a Plasma Wave, or a Neutron Vanish (listed in order from most to least stable). All of those feel a lot like a Wraith but will proabbaly perform better for you as a max distance driver.

How far are you throwing? A Star Wraith is a pretty overstable disc for most "hobbyist" level players. If you like the feel of the Wraith but want something to pair it with that'll go straighter/farther, I'd take a look at a Trespass, a Plasma Wave, or a Neutron Vanish (listed in order from most to least stable). All of those feel a lot like a Wraith but will proabbaly perform better for you as a max distance driver.

If the Wraith in Star is too much try a Champion being that Champion is less OS plastic. I know people hate Champion for Destroyer like discs now since the top pro players only seem to like Star but Champion is not bad for Wraith or Destroyer.

If the Wraith in Star is too much try a Champion being that Champion is less OS plastic. I know people hate Champion for Destroyer like discs now since the top pro players only seem to like Star but Champion is not bad for Wraith or Destroyer.

I disagree with this. I've thrown plenty of Wraiths in both Star and Champion. They do come in a wide variety of stabilities, but that is driven more by PLH and dome than plastic type between the two. Recent Star runs have seemed to come out domey with a high PLH, but even a low PLH Champ is likely going to be a headwind-only disc for a hobbyist level player. A DX or Pro Wraith, especially in a lower weight, could be the answer for a max distance driver. But I think a Vanish will probably be a better choice if he really is "hobbyist" level as he self professes.

I disagree with this. I've thrown plenty of Wraiths in both Star and Champion. They do come in a wide variety of stabilities, but that is driven more by PLH and dome than plastic type between the two. Recent Star runs have seemed to come out domey with a high PLH, but even a low PLH Champ is likely going to be a headwind-only disc for a hobbyist level player. A DX or Pro Wraith, especially in a lower weight, could be the answer for a max distance driver. But I think a Vanish will probably be a better choice if he really is "hobbyist" level as he self professes.

Pro, :doh: never thought about that and yes those will wear in nice, Pro Usually does wear in nice.

I used to own a Champion Wraith but I lost it unfortunately. It was a flat-top 171 champ wraith which was quite rare, the more common domey 175 are not for me. My Star is slight-dome 175 and it performs very similarly. It pretty much flies like the numbers, straight with some turn but I like the fact that it has the fade to ensure it's always going to come back and finish nicely. But I definetly like star more than champ, it's a nice soft blend of star, but the flight really depends on the weight and the shape of the particular run.

It's really hard to estimate the distance but I can throw a Roc 300ft at max, maybe 280ft average. I would say I get between 330-350ft with the "non-overstable" fairways, so I would say the Wraith tops that slightly so it's closer to 380-400ft. Depends on the day, if it feels slippery or I don't feel comfortable with the form to have enough power, I just throw the less-stable fairways instead, the flight becomes straighter with less power.

I used to own a Champion Wraith but I lost it unfortunately. It was a flat-top 171 champ wraith which was quite rare, the more common domey 175 are not for me. My Star is slight-dome 175 and it performs very similarly. It pretty much flies like the numbers, straight with some turn but I like the fact that it has the fade to ensure it's always going to come back and finish nicely. But I definetly like star more than champ, it's a nice soft blend of star, but the flight really depends on the weight and the shape of the particular run.

It's really hard to estimate the distance but I can throw a Roc 300ft at max, maybe 280ft average. I would say I get between 330-350ft with the "non-overstable" fairways, so I would say the Wraith tops that slightly so it's closer to 380-400ft. Depends on the day, if it feels slippery or I don't feel comfortable with the form to have enough power, I just throw the less-stable fairways instead, the flight becomes straighter with less power.

It'd probably help your game to do some fieldwork where you measure your throws. Most people (myself included) really don't have any clue how far they are throwing until they actually step foot on a football field and start measuring. Maybe you're the exception to the rule, but I've never met a hobbyist-level player than can touch 400'. Heck, I know guys who are competitive at the Advanced level and top out in the 375' range. But that really is the first step IMO to setting up a bag that works for you, is measuring your power level objectively. It can be eye opening and a bit humbling, but will help you learn what discs fit your arm speed. Just food for thought.

It'd probably help your game to do some fieldwork where you measure your throws. Most people (myself included) really don't have any clue how far they are throwing until they actually step foot on a football field and start measuring. Maybe you're the exception to the rule, but I've never met a hobbyist-level player than can touch 400'. Heck, I know guys who are competitive at the Advanced level and top out in the 375' range. But that really is the first step IMO to setting up a bag that works for you, is measuring your power level objectively. It can be eye opening and a bit humbling, but will help you learn what discs fit your arm speed. Just food for thought.
Yeah I agree with the measuring because we really want to know our armspeed, and about how far we can throw with a disc in a certain line. I don't measure with uDisc but I generally have an idea how far I can throw based on map for the holes and the distance of the tee, and it gives me some reference how far I'm getting. With the distance, I used to get barely 380feet with a S-line DDX, which is not really that much power. I must say that if I'm feeling it, I can get wraith to perform similarly but it will be more controllable, and definetly has stronger fade. I got super confused playing 2 weeks into a wind and then had optimal no-wind weather and everything felt way more stable. Maybe for a headwind hyzerlines the faster discs work. But my form is quite rubbish atm so I need to simplify stuff.

Putters:

2x D-line P2 - Putting putters, both worked in, one is little older which is a back-up and for longer putts or deathputts with water behind.

S-line P2 - Quite beat-up but still slightly stable approuches.

D-line P1x - super beat-up, shorter standstill anhyzers that needs to carry the angle.

Mids:

Champ Mako3 - Fresh new, Super straight.

Kc Pro Roc - Similar to Mako3 but has more finish, but being more used pro-plastic it will turn slightly, but gentle fade keeps it from diving to the ground. I use Roc for different angles where mako3 is more of straight shot disc.

Fairways:

C-line FD - all-around straight and far disc.
Star Teebird - Headwind disc.

Star Roadrunner - Understable: Turnovers, or hyzerflips.
Champ Savant - Actually pretty stable with no wind, but with a hard throw I can get a hint of turn.
Champ Firebird - PFN 12x. Quite beat-up but it feels special even if I rarely use it.

Utility:
Swirly S-line FD3 - Doombird3, super OS, will use it against headwind for shorter than 280f shots. With hyzer it will not drift much left, but rather just dives to the ground. The s-line also has little flex so it doesn't skip too much like a stiff C-line would. Great option where midranges would feel unreliable against headwind.

D-line TD - the opposite, super understable roller disc, and standstill troubleshots.

I'm working to get my form back, I feel best with the midranges. I don't need a whole lot of effort with them and they are quite accurate. It feels like veing more efficient. My biggest problems are with drivers, I get quite a lot of noseup, and putters feel like I get a lot of OAT. P2 feels little deep from the rim, but I should try to learn a cleaner release for them.

Got 3 new discs and had to shoot few rounds.

2x D-line P2 175 - Putting putters.
S-line P2 175 - Beat, straight thrower.
Hard Exo Tactic 175 - New. Very OS, feels great for short shots.

Mids:
Kc Pro Roc 180 - Somewhat used straight with a little finish.
Champ Mako3 180 - Straight when I want the disc to tail a little right.

7-speeds Fairways:
Active Fox Spirit - New, and actually pretty stable.
C-line FD 175 - Quite beat-up and little understable.
Swirly S-line FD 167 - New. Flatter and more stable.
Opto Explorer 175 - Slightly beat-in, more stable than FD.
Star Teebird 172 - Overstable.

9-speeds:
Star Roadrunner 175 - Understable.
Champ Savant 175 - Quite beat-up, straigh with little fade.
G Star Thunderbird 175 - Slightly beat-up, stable.
Swirly S-line FD3 175 - Very overstable, utilities. (Doombird3-run)
400 H3v2 175 - Back-up for FD3, it's listed as a 10speed but anyway.

Wow that's a lot of molds, but I am mostly throwing the FDs and Explorer for the most part, explorer is not quite as beat-up so it fits for some wind, it can handle the find with it's fade. The Roadrunner can go far with little effort, it can hold the anhyzer entire flight and goes pretty straight on a hyzerflip, also great for standstills and tailwind shots.

For the new discs, the Tactic works for short approuches as intended, likes to dump so it doesn't really fit for a driving putter. Don't really know what to do with the Fox Spirit, but it feels great so far for utilities.

Getting better and better each day, I've got little bit more consistency :)

Latest posts