• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warm up Baskets... Why Not a Warm-Up Net?

a course i used to play (recently moved) had giant nets to protect discs from entering adjacent roadway areas... i've always just warmed up by tossing a few into them. the guys i've played with thought i was crazy but after i did it, it seemed like everyone was following suit. its all about confidence and comfortability for me, and getting the motions down before i tee off helps a ton.

i have a small net that is portable and sometimes i bring that to the course for a league or something. it is awesome, not having to run and get your disc

I just thought of something else.

People who wanted to warm up could just bring a big blanket. They could even make a PVC frame and drape a net or a blanket over top of that and you have your own portable "warm up net." It'd disassemble in no time.

Maybe some leagues could build them, you know?

Anyway, I would imagine that they would get destroyed by vandals/idiots, so it isn't widespread, but I think it would make a great addition to more pay-to-plays/private courses.

Or that, yes.

I just thought of it the other day when I went to play and the guy I played with was warming up by trying to stretch and I thought "there's gotta be a better way than this." I'm new, so I'm not blaming lack of warmup, but it took me awhile to get back into the flow where I wasn't spraying drives left and right, to get my timing back a little. I think a net would have helped.

There are a few courses around here with warm up nets. They're a great way to get the arm loose.

I have played at a course in Socal that had a warm-up net, since then I have made a small net that hangs in the garage for practice and it has improved my game with the quick footing and the hit of my game.

I don't agree with the nets. Without seeing how the disc flies, you might be warming up improperly, and hence affecting you're first few drives until you've corrected it.

I don't agree with the nets. Without seeing how the disc flies, you might be warming up improperly, and hence affecting you're first few drives until you've corrected it.

I think my thinking is "better to warm up than to just stand around and kind of stretch your arm and shoulder out a little." You could snap a towel a few times, but throwing a disc three feet into a net lets you feel the release, the weight of the discs, etc.

playing catch is my favorite way to warm up. i like to stand about 150 ft. apart and throw a comet or beat roc, trying to throw it dead nuts straight into the hands of the other guy/gal, alternating forehand and backhand. my warm up is intended to warm me up physically and mentally. Cranking a bunch of hard shots into a field or net doesn't do that for me.

I would love to see some warm up nets. I think the courses in my area would see more vandalism then warming up (unfortunately). And I understand why some wouldn't agree because you wouldn't know where it is landing, but I think it's more about working the arm than getting the idea of flight path. I think it sounds like a great idea.

The net's not for working on your form, it's just for getting loose without having to go retrieve a bunch of drives in a field. When I'm warming up, I don't care how they fly, I just want to get my arm moving and feel the clean release.

I think this is a great idea too. My buddy who had a private course has a net on his carport for warmup and it really helped before you got over to the course for your round. Unfortunately the course got torn down (it wasn't his property), but at least the net is still there. The only down side was that it was on a concrete pad, so the discs got pretty beat pretty fast. Good way to break them in I guess...

While I have never seen a net on a course, I installed one in my basement as well as a putting basket.

My net is for Winter golf. I live in a cold climate and bitter conditions make it harder to warm up. But in my basement before I leave for the course I can do full stretching, then throwing softly and progressing to full throws without worrying about slipping on icy surfaces. Once warmed up it is easier to regain it at the course.

In my basement I'm not going to lose any discs or get my hands too cold during warmup. I notice that once my hands get very cold and wet it is hard to get comfortable again even with mittens and handwarmers.

I have seen basements where people hang a pad in front of a wall to throw into. This would break discs in much faster than my net.

I have net in my classroom that has a large picture of a golf course and a grid on it. When the kids are gone I can practice driving, but if I miss the net once, I ruin the disc.

Farragut State Park in Idaho had a warm up net for years. I'm pretty sure that the weather destroyed it enough to have it removed. It was aweomse being able to crush into that thing

The main problem is that a lot of rec areas put up netting that resembles a soccer goal's net - and believe it or not, a disc can and will sail straight through.

If they use the kind of netting that a golf shop does, yeah, it could be feasible. The main issue with the gap problem solved is that a net won't show you how your disc is flying, which can seem to vary a little bit day to day. Unfortunately, there's only one way to do that - to let it fly.

I have been playing just over three years and sad to say I have only felt that real good "hit followed with the rip" feeling less than a dozen times, untill I started using a net and concetrating on those areas of my drive. It can be used for something IMO.

Although I am not a pro or anything and I just recently came into the great world of disc golf, Even I could see were a net would be a great idea.... although I'm new to disc golf, I am familiar with other sports that has to have the same level of dedication, practice, and passion a true competitor must posses. For me, my drive is ether like throwing into a double just as smooth and powerful as you can, or turning on that perfect sweet spot pitch coming down the middle. I know what you might be thinking, what does this have to do with disc golf. Well in both the insistence's I mentioned earlier I used a form of muscle memory. disc golf is one in the same to baseball in that aspect. When I step to the tee box I gotta go threw my routen, if I'm making a serious shot. That's were the net comes in, it should allow you to like one member said find that "hit after a rip" feeling, The one you know was a good throw. Back to baseball again its just like batting practice or a pitcher throwing threw a tire. Train your muscles into going into the motions you want........ good choice on the net bro.

I will say this as well: if you don't have a net for your back yard and you're a serious disc golfer, you're missing out.

One of our facilities to train golfers at is an indoor facility, and we not only improved our own games over the winter hitting balls indoors into a net 30 feet away more than any previous time (including summer), the games of our students improved quite a bit more than normal as well.

Hitting into a net lets you focus on the mechanics and make appropriate changes. If you are fixing or working on the right thing, the ball (or disc in this case) will fly properly.

You can set up a camera, record yourself from a consistent angle, and concentrate on improving the form until you see changes, and if you're doing the RIGHT changes, you'll know the throws will improve when you get a chance to throw outdoors.

But indoors, since you can't see the flight, it lets you WORK on the mechanics and improve them the FASTEST, because you're not distracted by hitting a few funny shots (throwing a few errant discs).

We have one at Bellamy park next to the practice baskets. It has a big X through it so you can tell how close to releasing it the way you wanted you were. Very useful.

Latest posts