• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

water carry shots

I've played Cliff twice, both times on #10 I tried to semi-carry the water with understable drivers, figuring I would land off to the right and safe. But in both cases I over-torqued and unintentionally threw perfect rollers that landed just to the right of the water and rolled pin high. First time I was surprised, second time I was stunned because it's such a fluke result and I can't recall it happening anywhere else.

Google Maps has the water carry at 230 and 245 (short and long) for #10 which is still pretty good. There is something about the wind over there, especially out of the west, that makes my discs want to go in the water on that hole. I usually just play it safe and throw in the direction of the railroad tracks. I've watched a lot of other people throw multiple discs into that little lake.

Google Maps has the water carry at 230 and 245 (short and long) for #10 which is still pretty good. There is something about the wind over there, especially out of the west, that makes my discs want to go in the water on that hole. I usually just play it safe and throw in the direction of the railroad tracks. I've watched a lot of other people throw multiple discs into that little lake.

I'll check it out next time I'm there The old sign says 330 and they're new pads.

I made 10 more throws there today and they all made it. Almost lost my Lisa Fajkus Leopard 3 because I tried too hard and it air bounced and lit on the bank. All the Terns were no problem.

There's only one course in my area that has a water carry. It's a 260' hole, with about a 220' carry. Normally I'd throw a mid. I disced up to a fairway just to be overly safe and clear the water. Grip locked the drive and caught a small sapling on the waters edge, sent disc nearly straight up and plunked into the middle of the pond.

Nearly cubby aced it with a distance driver out of frustration, missed chains by inches, sailed 60' long. Four putted to the basket.

TLDR:
Don't get too cocky.

However, that's an awesome feeling I'm sure! Congratulations!

Hole 10, Cliff Stephens in Clearwater, Fl. 330 ft. if you go over a lake. I was going around until yesterday. 170 gr. Tern is giving me a lot of confidence to go straight across. This makes me kinda proud of my 64 year old self after 1 year of play.

As a fellow old dude, that's awesome, congrats! How's your short game btw? If it's decent, sounds like you should be giving the old dudes hell in tournament play. ;)

Btw... have you tried going even lighter? I also throw the Tern. I typically throw around 170g for most shots, but I bust out the 160g disc for max distance. You get alot more horizontal movement, but if you throw it high enough to give it time to come back, you can get some serious ("see that what that old man did?") distance. lol...

I'll check it out next time I'm there The old sign says 330 and they're new pads.

I made 10 more throws there today and they all made it. Almost lost my Lisa Fajkus Leopard 3 because I tried too hard and it air bounced and lit on the bank. All the Terns were no problem.

I play there regularly. The new pads are in the same places as the old pads. I believe the sign indicates the distance to the pin is 339 from the long pad and 321 from the short pad. The water carry distances are less than the distance to the pin, but still pretty far. I've lost a few in there.

I play there regularly. The new pads are in the same places as the old pads. I believe the sign indicates the distance to the pin is 339 from the long pad and 321 from the short pad. The water carry distances are less than the distance to the pin, but still pretty far. I've lost a few in there.

I've lost a few in that lake going both ways!

As a fellow old dude, that's awesome, congrats! How's your short game btw? If it's decent, sounds like you should be giving the old dudes hell in tournament play. ;)

Btw... have you tried going even lighter? I also throw the Tern. I typically throw around 170g for most shots, but I bust out the 160g disc for max distance. You get alot more horizontal movement, but if you throw it high enough to give it time to come back, you can get some serious ("see that what that old man did?") distance. lol...

Short game blows, I usually over throw, but I'm fairly good once inside 25'.

150g Gstar Shryke is my cheat code. Sometimes I can't even believe how far it goes.

Had a MIA today. Played Picnic Island and had a pin height hole 16 that's 340' with a 170 Pro Tern. I felt pretty good after that.

Then went to Youth Park. Went 100' past the pond on hole 2 from long pad then flipped an old 158 g Tern on 7, just 10' short of the bank. Just 1 moment of doubt and I didn't try to hyzer flip, just a flat release, right turn, a skip and into the drink.

Right after that, Black Ace, sank 13 from 11.

Hole 10, Cliff Stephens in Clearwater, Fl. 330 ft. if you go over a lake. I was going around until yesterday. 170 gr. Tern is giving me a lot of confidence to go straight across. This makes me kinda proud of my 64 year old self after 1 year of play.

Congrats on that kind of distance. At 64 that is awesome.

I throw an MVP Wave, which I believe is very similar to a Tern. I can get pretty good distance under the right conditions with that disc.

My home course Valley Park opens with a water carry. It's a shade over 200' from the short tees but 400'+ if you're playing the par four long tees. It's quite the start especially when the wind is blowing!

There's only one course in my area that has a water carry. It's a 260' hole, with about a 220' carry. Normally I'd throw a mid. I disced up to a fairway just to be overly safe and clear the water. Grip locked the drive and caught a small sapling on the waters edge, sent disc nearly straight up and plunked into the middle of the pond.

Nearly cubby aced it with a distance driver out of frustration, missed chains by inches, sailed 60' long. Four putted to the basket.

TLDR:
Don't get too cocky.

However, that's an awesome feeling I'm sure! Congratulations!
I'm jealous of your one course. There's one course with water carries within 45 minutes of me, and it is a private course that has been closed for the duration of the pandemic.

Latest posts