• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weather Conditions

I really get a kick out of playing in the cold and crazy wind.

Sometimes you'll find yourself in a really cold pocket with tons of wind and just toss it to get out of that spot, I've seen gators turned into boomerangs.

I just don't like it when it's 35ish degrees and raining. Brrrrr.

But have been in these conditions many times.

Heavy winds are my favorite time to play (preferably warm winds)

I play disc golf to have fun. Playing when it is over 100* in the shade with 75% humidity or when it's bellow 40* and raining with a 20mph wind is not my idea of fun. :thmbdown:

Ideal weather to me is 55* - 75*, sunny to partly cloudy with a light to moderate breeze. :thmbup:

To me the above conditions are good for any form of outdoor activity.

I love cold. I love playing DG in the cold. I don't like rain, though. I've played in light rain, but when it starts getting heavier, I head for the exits....

I hope a few of the people who MUST play that first round after this weekends Blizzard bring a shovel with them and clean the tees so the course pro doesn't have to deal with icy footprints.

Ideal weather to me is 55* - 75*, sunny to partly cloudy with a light to moderate breeze. :thmbup:

75F (or +24C) is what I'd call too warm already, even in shorts (and won't go any less in terms of clothing :p ). Luckily, don't get that many days per year of temps that high or higher around here. I'd say between +15 and +20 (59 to 68F) is my ideal temperature. We don't go out to throw when it's raining or there's forecast of rain.

Cold doesn't bug me, hands/fingers are the one that troubles most. Last weekend did a round in -10C (14F) with just jeans and winter jacket, t-shirt and regular underwear beneath, no extra shirt, no long johns and only the fingers were an issue, need to start getting shots closer so can putt/tap-in with gloves still on ;) .

The wife and I have played in pretty much every kind of weather, -10 to 120 with every kind of precipitation. That said, give me a sunny day in the 60s and I'm happiest.

Worst conditions I've played in are rainy, cold, and gusting winds - that's a trifecta just makes for misery. Wouldn't have played except that I already payed and really wanted to play in that event. Throw in a course that's already saturated from previous rains, so you're basically playing in a swamp that laughs at goretex.

My favorite conditions are sunny upper 50's mid 60's... tee shirt & hoodie weather.

I can deal with temps down to single digits and snow. Below zero, I'm not really having fun, but that beats the combo I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Worst conditions I've played in are rainy, cold, and gusting winds - that's a trifecta just makes for misery. Wouldn't have played except that I already payed and really wanted to play in that event..

After twenty-something events at Stoney Hill in which it had never rained a drop---and my reckless boasting of that fact---the 2014 Battle of Stoney Hill had snow during the players meeting, dissolving into pouring rain, 20 MPH winds, and 35 degrees for round 1.

I didn't even have the excuse of having paid for it---I was TDing, from the dry warmth of my house. But it was a team play event, for charity, and one player didn't make it....so I got drafted. You'd think nothing is worse than heading out into that weather for a 3½ hour round. But doing so when I wasn't planning to, and thus not psychologically prepared, was worse.

.....for sheer misery, nothing beats the cold windy rain. But I've also played through a ferocious lightning storm that, for sheer fear and stupidity, might qualify as the "worst weather" I've played in. There were at least 3 strikes that seemed to be inside the park we were playing, among the hundred or so cracks of thunder.

.....the backstory was that it was local doubles, and the guy who ran it wasn't there that night. The closest to being in charge were two club officers, myself and the club president; we drew each other and were tearing up the course, playing too good to quit. The others starting referring to us as the guy in Caddyshack.