• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weekend experience & DG Image

KniceZ

Double Eagle Member
Wanted to share an experience from this weekend.

Went to NC this weekend to a soccer tournament with my wife and daughter (Junior in HS). After the games were done, I convinced them to stop by a course and throw a quick round. My wife came with me and my daughter stayed in the car reading and doing homework.

When we got back to the car, my daughter was somewhat shaken about being left alone and asked why I liked DG since I'm not like most of the people she saw coming to the course. She told us about players coming in drinking, doing other illegal activity, and using inappropriate language. I will say that I also saw a couple folks running around with no shirt on, their pants falling off, and yelling obsenities about bad throws or missed putts.

I don't want to sound like a Puritan and I'm not trying to condemn people for what they do, they just need to be aware of those around them and the image they protray of the sport. DG isn't going to get any respect if the DG community doesn't put forth a better image.

The people you're describe likely are not serious players and don't really care about the image the sport portrays.

This is the reason for the PDGA dress code. Try to create a positive image of competitive disc golf. Casual disc golf, like any other sport, will attract a wide variety of characters and personalities.

Didn't want to draw attention to the course so I didn't specify. But it was near Winston-Salem.

During casual play should we say something??

All you can do (other than taking people aside and talking with them...good luck) is act in a manner that helps counteract the image they're portraying. :shrugsmiley:

Serious players or not, they should have enough self respect and common sense to act as a civilized human being in public. I don't understand why DG (and other niche sports) often have a following or image portrayed by a few "losers" which ruin it for everyone. You tell someone you DG and you will get an automatic drunk/pothead no job hippie etc kinda look, when all reality our sport is FAR from any of those things, but people often remember the bad/ugly. Boils down to the simple principle we all dealt with as children and how others can ruin something for everyone-- still exists no matter our age just some are too ignorant to take notice not to mention have a lot of maturing to do.

I'd be willing to generalize that some of this behavior happens in the summer on a lot of metropolitan courses. For instance, Vance and Rockwood, and to some extent[despite a no-alcohol policy] at Pier in Portland. Also Ann Mo in Boise.
But I don't see it as DG's problem specifically---its a social problem that cuts across most casual public activities. Drunken softball games, outdoor concerts, riverside fishing and swimming spots, skate parks, you name it. I'd try to pin it on the 30-somethings and younger, but I've seen my share of 50 y.o. drunken Cletuses, and they can be the worst.

I don't understand why DG (and other niche sports) often have a following or image portrayed by a few "losers" which ruin it for everyone.

I think you might be incorrect in saying it's only a few "losers". My experience is that there are far more profane, law breaking, indifferent to personal hygiene "losers" on the course than there are decently dressed, well spoken, rule abiding disc golfers. Of course the first group might be super friendly but the negative image is still re-enforced unless you get to know them.

I'd be willing to generalize that some of this behavior happens in the summer on a lot of metropolitan courses. For instance, Vance and Rockwood, and to some extent[despite a no-alcohol policy] at Pier in Portland. Also Ann Mo in Boise.
But I don't see it as DG's problem specifically---its a social problem that cuts across most casual public activities. Drunken softball games, outdoor concerts, riverside fishing and swimming spots, skate parks, you name it. I'd try to pin it on the 30-somethings and younger, but I've seen my share of 50 y.o. drunken Cletuses, and they can be the worst.

I used to play softball for a church league. The games were at a public park. Plenty of guys were drinking beer and there was a lot of inappropriate language. These weren't just college kids but plenty of 30-40somethings.

People don't always act like saints in public no matter what they are doing.

There are many disc golfers that are not fine representatives of the human race. Same goes for most hobbies and sports. Just use the experience to show your daughter examples of people and boys/men that she doesn't want to associate with. I travel a bunch, and play many courses. Most of the time the people I see or interact with on courses are friendly and courteous. Even if they look a little freaky at times. The drinking and smoking I've seen on courses is usually kept low key and hidden in the woods. I guess you just had bad timing. Isn't there a saying about not letting one rotten egg spoil the bunch, or something like that?

I think you might be incorrect in saying it's only a few "losers". My experience is that there are far more profane, law breaking, indifferent to personal hygiene "losers" on the course than there are decently dressed, well spoken, rule abiding disc golfers. Of course the first group might be super friendly but the negative image is still re-enforced unless you get to know them.

Maybe, but my experience is the opposite. I see far more reasonably well-mannered people on the courses Iplay than that kind of "loser". Well, except for the "well-dressed" part, as their play clothes hardly fit that description.

I play disc golf so I don't have to be 'well dressed' and wear some pricey golf shirt. My dri-fit tees are comfy dammit!

Maybe another moral to this story is that what constitutes things like "well mannered" "decently dressed" and "loser" is in the eye of the beholder.

There are many disc golfers that are not fine representatives of the human race. Same goes for most hobbies and sports.

I have had this conversation with various Park Department people and this is the response I have from all of them. They recognize that there are a few less than ideal citizens (and non-citizens) that are out on the disc golf courses, but they say it is a very similar slice of society that use other aspects of the parks they provide.

I'm sure there are anecdotes that would contradict this....for disc golf and for other activities too.

But I don't see it as DG's problem specifically---its a social problem that cuts across most casual public activities. Drunken softball games, outdoor concerts, riverside fishing and swimming spots, skate parks, you name it.

In general I tend to agree with you, but I wanted to keep this in the political forum or sounding like that old guy that yells at kids playing on the sidewalk.

Just thought my daughters comment about me not fitting in with the folks she saw was interesting. I will say that there was a huge difference between the DG folks and the soccer families I spent the rest of the weekend with.

Does PDGA publish any demographics?

Last edited:
Disc golfers are overwhelmingly male, and a very high percentage are young. (18-30)

Young males have proven themselves to the be the cause of many of society's ills, not just in disc golf. Mix in alcohol, and other substances? Fuggedaboutit.

Latest posts