• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weekend experience & DG Image

You vets may be aware but i think many dgcr noobs have false pretenses of the people behind dg.
When the bins are unloaded from the van its deadhead stickers on em...not creed :|

:thisisspartasmiley:

Sorry, i dont know what kind of music betterthans listen to :/

I wonder what all of you folks do at concerts???
"Awe shucks! I cant believe all the smoke at this tom petty concert. Its ruining the image of rock n roll!"

"Awe shucks! I cant believe all the smoke at this tom petty concert. Its ruining the image of rock n roll!"

Hey man....all you have to do is look at my Avatar...old school head here bro! Although I never had the pleasure of seeing Tom Petty. I bet he would've been pretty cool to see in the old days.

Sadly, i was arou d in the old days but have seen many of the old bands and have had great times there with folks of (most) all ages and backgrounds :)

Sure, but people aren't surprised if they take their kids to a show and there's that kind of behavior. There's a very different expectation at their neighborhood park.

Sure, but people aren't surprised if they take their kids to a show and there's that kind of behavior. There's a very different expectation at their neighborhood park.

I think it also depends on the location of the park and no offense but also the people that live around the park.

Yup. Heck, we even have a nice course at a church. those random bystanders in the park are even MORE not expecting that type of behavior, haha.

I know what you mean but if you really think about it, a show that you have to pay for entry, pass security, and has strangers all around (with less space between yourselves than dg) would seem to be more risky.

Well before i even knew what dg was i had a not so high, or more realalistic expectation.
In a good area id expect smokers and/or people fooling around. I figured outdoorsie folks liked plants and looked hippieish. I also know that people like fooling around and may get a rush or lack a "safe" place to fool around- this could be teens, cheating adults, dudes on the low, or dudes with miss michigan ;)
If in a bad area id expect harder drugs and/or prostitution :(

I know what you mean but if you really think about it, a show that you have to pay for entry, pass security, and has strangers all around (with less space between yourselves than dg) would seem to be more risky.

Well before i even knew what dg was i had a not so high, or more realalistic expectation.
In a good area id expect smokers and/or people fooling around. I figured outdoorsie folks liked plants and looked hippieish. I also know that people like fooling around and may get a rush or lack a "safe" place to fool around- this could be teens, cheating adults, dudes on the low, or dudes with miss michigan ;)
If in a bad area id expect harder drugs and/or prostitution :(

That's fine if you have those expectations. None of what you mentioned bothers me when I'm out playing. That said, I don't think it's at all fair to say that parents of young children should expect that kind of behavior when they visit their neighborhood park, and I guarantee that it doesn't help get more courses installed when even disc golfers take the attitude that people should just get over it and expect it.

If a concert happens at a public park and there is a lot of unsavory activity, you can be sure that there will be outrage in the community saying that these types of events should no longer happen in the park.

Same goes for disc golf.

That's fine if you have those expectations. None of what you mentioned bothers me when I'm out playing. That said, I don't think it's at all fair to say that parents of young children should expect that kind of behavior when they visit their neighborhood park, and I guarantee that it doesn't help get more courses installed when even disc golfers take the attitude that people should just get over it and expect it.

Im sorry, i did a poor job of stating that those expectations were for public parks without dg courses.
Parks have been a high risk area for sex and drugs before dg even existed. If anything i think dg tends to deter the sexual activity away from parks and seemingly provide a (imo, false) sense of security from drugs.

Im sorry, i did a poor job of stating that those expectations were for public parks without dg courses.
Parks have been a high risk area for sex and drugs before dg even existed. If anything i think dg tends to deter the sexual activity away from parks and seemingly provide a (imo, false) sense of security from drugs.

And it would be great if we could say that to a parks department with a straight face. Unfortunately, the minute they stop by the disc golf course or any disc golf message board they're going to see us as contributing to the problem whether that's a fair judgement across the board or not. Similarly, it only takes one idiot to give a parent the wrong impression of our whole sport, and it only takes one angry soccer mom who got that impression to torpedo a new course going in in that area.

Tried to edit...

I guess i grew up in a different world with the go outside, no seatbelts or helmets mentality.
My parents were sure to inform me of the dangers i might have encountered so i had that view of parks even as a lil kid.

And it would be great if we could say that to a parks department with a straight face. Unfortunately, the minute they stop by the disc golf course or any disc golf message board they're going to see us as contributing to the problem whether that's a fair judgement across the board or not. Similarly, it only takes one idiot to give a parent the wrong impression of our whole sport, and it only takes one angry soccer mom who got that impression to torpedo a new course going in in that area.

Very good point. Ill even admidt that myself and friends have had to fight the battle on the homefront with wives and gf's when we want to take the lil guys out :(

If a concert happens at a public park and there is a lot of unsavory activity, you can be sure that there will be outrage in the community saying that these types of events should no longer happen in the park.

Same goes for disc golf.

Yes. Don't do drugs on public lands. Don't start fights on public lands. Don't vandalize public lands. Don't walk around without a shirt, throwing frisbess wherever you darn well please (most likely a Champ Boss) and laughing if it comes close to the old man walking his dog. Don't urinate in the public park, unless it's in the bathroom. Don't litter on the public land.

These are just some of things I see at the less-desirable courses. Those aren't just good laws of the land to follow, those are rules to being a good person. This will turn into a firestorm, especially regarding the first post, because certain people seem to think using that whenever and wherever they want is their God given right, which is both untrue and dangerous to a course. Even here in CO, where that thign was just legalized, it's not legal in public places. That was a vote, by the people, that said "its okay for you to do that if you want, in the comfort of your own home, just be kind enough to not do it in public areas where others who don't care for that can be exposed to it"

So, just because YOU think YOU can do it wherever/whenever, doesnt make it okay. At all. The people have voted on whatever laws you are breaking. It's not just that first thing, it goes for everything I posted. Fighting is okay in a boxing/MMA ring. Vandalism (street art) is okay when it's presented as art in a gallery or even in the walls of your own home....you get where I'm going with this.

I could really care less about the image of Disc Golf as a sport...I played it long before it was at the level at is at currently, and I'll continue playing it for many years. But I do care about having courses pulled. Most DG courses are built on public land, and we ALL have to respect it. You as an individual may think you don't have to listen to the voice of the public, but if you want that free course to play DG on, then yes, you do.

Dress Codes, Club memberships required, $50 per round. That would clean things up!!!

And empty the courses...

Latest posts