• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weenie arms unite! Discs for under 300' drives

Jesse B 707 said:
better check those tee signs again, if you're throwing 425~ an orc should be pretty easy to flip up and pretty far from actually overstable

I have measured several flat holes with a gps and the 400-425 is accurate. I have also thrown on a football field with extra distance marked off past the end zone many times for practice.

I guess that I just don't generate that much velocity. I have a slow 3 step x-step and don't pull back that far. Whenever I try to get more of my body into the throw or reach back further I always seem to get off balance hurting my distance.

Played a round today with just a Roc and shot my second best score ever :D

i like 165-168 for drivers

my favorite has to be my 166 monarch, ive learned to control it and it does the best for me.. I can get a little more distance on my wraith but it has a larger fade. So i tend to use it only on shots that require a little more fade.

My recommendations, FWIW- nothing new here!

Putters- anything
mids- the ubiquitous Buzzz, Roc/Wasp, or Comet (but especially the Comet)
drivers- Cyclone, Gazelle, Leopard, XL, or JLS.

I read this thread start to finish. I started throwing in my mid-late 30's, but totally busted my arm in skateboarding accident five years ago. My name describes my arm. I understand the concept of "nose down", but have no real idea of how to throw a disc that way. My golf distances are between 260' and 280'. I can hit 300', but I need some help.

The answers in this thread kinda fell all over the map. So. This is my opinion for "weenie arms".

Learn to putt. Some how, some way, get a couple of putters and learn to nail 20 footers. This should be your #1 objective.

Your approach shots are your #2 priority. Find a distance. For me 150'. Every unobstructed 150' approach should land inside a 20' circle around the pole. The most effective weapon you can have from this distance is (for me) a straight shot (read very little fade). Sometimes, I use a putter (Omega SS). Most of the time, I use a gummy QMS. If I weren't throwing a QMS, I might be tempted to try a Crystal Buzz. Point is to find a disc that you can throw at the target on a line drive. If you throw it at the circle, it stays inside the circle.

Line drive drives are an important part of my driving game. I'm assuming that you are not throwing the disc up in the air (sky shot) and that you do not suffer from OAT (off axis torque). (Those need to be fixed first.) You need to find a driver that (RHBH) you can throw flat that moves first to the right and then back to the left and leaves you on the same basic line as you started. Remember, we are talking 275' not 375'. Discs that never move to the right have their place. They are your stable or first wind drivers. Discs that never move back to the left have a place. They are your turnover drivers. But a driver that moves, but comes back, is very important in my opinion.

I will stop here, but there is much more that could be said about drivers and playing rounds.

black udder said:
150 class is for anybody and all depends on your preference and your game. I know somebody that throws around 300' and they use 150 class almost exclusively. They play a wide variety of courses and weather. If you know what the disc will do, you can throw it in any weather. Most folks though, will just up the weight instead of learning what a 150 will do in wind.

True and all, but when trying to get 150 class discs out to say... 375-400, you're going to run into problems in getting enough power into the disc without putting too much into it. That's why I stepped back up in weights. I CAN get a 150 surge out to 380, but not only is it much harder to do consistently than with the 172g ones I throw, but the 150 surge just doesn't have any fade at that distance, so I can't work it around things - which is problematic when most courses are designed for some fade at the end of the flight...I've had great distance on the drive, only to wind up with an 80 foot putt...

Now, the Flick DOES fade, and fades HARD. I've been using it more and more as my all purpose driver, when I'm not just going for super crazy max distance...

Honestly I never had much of a problem with 150 class int he wind. They bounce up and down more than heavier discs, but just like with any other weight with the right disc selection you won't need to worry about much...

Sub-300 is my territory, but mostly forehand.

I recommend a good mid like a Roc/Wasp/Buzz. When I am throwing my mids well my whole game is usually working.

The best weenie drivers IMO are the Champ Leopard and a 150 class Gazelle. You can pick up those 150 KC Pro (actually champ plastic) Gazelles online at many sites. Awesome disc that glides better than a heavier Gazelle and handles wind pretty well too. One thing I like about lighter discs is that you can throw them lower and still get a good long glide out of them.

The TL is another favorite of mine.

I mostly use a 169 Champ Beast for longer holes. I can control it unless its windy.

SkaBob said:
black udder said:
150 class is for anybody and all depends on your preference and your game. I know somebody that throws around 300' and they use 150 class almost exclusively. They play a wide variety of courses and weather. If you know what the disc will do, you can throw it in any weather. Most folks though, will just up the weight instead of learning what a 150 will do in wind.

True and all, but when trying to get 150 class discs out to say... 375-400, you're going to run into problems in getting enough power into the disc without putting too much into it. That's why I stepped back up in weights. I CAN get a 150 surge out to 380, but not only is it much harder to do consistently than with the 172g ones I throw, but the 150 surge just doesn't have any fade at that distance, so I can't work it around things - which is problematic when most courses are designed for some fade at the end of the flight...I've had great distance on the drive, only to wind up with an 80 foot putt...

Now, the Flick DOES fade, and fades HARD. I've been using it more and more as my all purpose driver, when I'm not just going for super crazy max distance...

Honestly I never had much of a problem with 150 class int he wind. They bounce up and down more than heavier discs, but just like with any other weight with the right disc selection you won't need to worry about much...

I think we pretty much agree -- I'm just saying don't rule out 150 class due to it's weight (which I believe lots of folks do). I think the further you are throwing 150g the more important your form is.

If you can deal with the small rim, check out a 150g illusion. It'll make that flick look downright flippy. No lie.

First off, This is my first post and I absolutely enjoy reading this forum. Ive trolled in the background for a month reading tips and listening to the local pros here. So much good info, thank you for this resource.

Second, I am particularly interested in this thread because of its relevance. I throw just over 300 with drivers on average. I took your advice and bought a Roc, Buzzz, and a 150 class leapord. What I am finding is that the same form I deliver my drivers with that ends up sending them deep, only turns over the roc and buzz and shoots it right ( I throw RHBH).

Am I SUPPOSED to be able to drive these mid ranges 300'!? If so, is it OAT that turns them right fast and hard?

Also, I am naturally athletic and I work out!

felixtibs said:
First off, This is my first post ...

THE PROPHESY WAS RIGHT, THE CHOSEN ONE HAS RETURNED :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol:

LOL

felix, I'd guess you're probably gripping your mids too hard. Because you're going to be throwing them at lower speeds, you're going to need a slightly looser grip so you don't grip lock, or put more snap on them than you want.

Jsw said:
felixtibs said:

I might have been daydreaming about disc golf, but on Sunday I could have sworn my Pastor said:

"For Steady Ed so loved disc golf, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not be a conformist, but have everlasting style.

For Steady Ed sent not his Son into the world to condemn the Shark, but that the Cheetah and Aviar through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned; but he believeth that throwing a 180 midrange is boring, because he likes to watch a disc move around and glide in the name of the only begotten son of Ed.

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because they are naturally athletic and work out.

In the name of the Father we pray...

...Bitches!"

felixtibs said:
What I am finding is that the same form I deliver my drivers with that ends up sending them deep, only turns over the roc and buzz and shoots it right ( I throw RHBH).
Did you learn to throw your drivers as an S shot? And. Are what drives are you throwing?

Working Stiff said:
Jsw said:
felixtibs said:

I might have been daydreaming about disc golf, but on Sunday I could have sworn my Pastor said:

"For Steady Ed so loved disc golf, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not be a conformist, but have everlasting style.

For Steady Ed sent not his Son into the world to condemn the Shark, but that the Cheetah and Aviar through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned; but he believeth that throwing a 180 midrange is boring, because he likes to watch a disc move around and glide in the name of the only begotten son of Ed.

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because they are naturally athletic and work out.

In the name of the Father we pray...

...Bitches!"
:lol:

ADiscand3Plates said:
felixtibs said:
What I am finding is that the same form I deliver my drivers with that ends up sending them deep, only turns over the roc and buzz and shoots it right ( I throw RHBH).
Did you learn to throw your drivers as an S shot? And. Are what drives are you throwing?

Well I wouldnt use "learn" because I pretty much just experimented until I got some results. When I drive I throw a wraith, and old Champ Eagle that is SUPER overstable, a FLX Surge SS, and a Star SL. Those i Definitely put an anhyser twist on it it.
When I try and throw a mid range, putter, JLS, or 150 Leapord i throw them directly to the right.

Im just gonna leave the drivers at home and try and get the form down with these discs first.

Any suggestions?

Latest posts