• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight in non-throwing hand

grodney

* Ace Member *
Jimmy has a radical new tee-shot motion where he does like 2 1/2 spins on the tee pad. He holds a 5-pound (2.25 kg HI CANADA!) weight in his non-throwing hand. When he starts the spin, he has his off-hand at full extension. Then, just for the last half-spin, he pulls his off-hand into his body, thus increasing his spinning speed (conservation of angular momentum, or whatever the geeks say). Man can he launch that disc!

Legal?

Good question. The ball is an artificial device that doesn't have to do with abrasion control or medical needs and clearly is intended to enhance the throw. However, we've allowed players to hold another disc in their off hand as part of their putting routine. So I'm thinking the ball might be okay if it were 0.2kg (200 gms) or less. ;)

Good question. The ball is an artificial device that doesn't have to do with abrasion control or medical needs and clearly is intended to enhance the throw. However, we've allowed players to hold another disc in their off hand as part of their putting routine. So I'm thinking the ball might be okay if it were 0.2kg (200 gms) or less. ;)

I've seen people hold as many as three discs in their off hand while putting. Is there any rule that specifically states you can hold only one disc?

Jimmy has a radical new tee-shot motion where he does like 2 1/2 spins on the tee pad. He holds a 5-pound (2.25 kg HI CANADA!) weight in his non-throwing hand. When he starts the spin, he has his off-hand at full extension. Then, just for the last half-spin, he pulls his off-hand into his body, thus increasing his spinning speed (conservation of angular momentum, or whatever the geeks say). Man can he launch that disc!

Legal?

Well I'm not standing within 50' of that guy, if it slips out of his hand that could end badly for someone.

You spoiled my entire slippery slope!!! I had 3 or 4 more examples to get there!

(Yes, this thread was solely because holding a disc (or more) in your off-hand should be illegal. Actually, *is* illegal.)

No rule on one disc. Just that I've never seen it questioned as an artificial aid to help a player putt, even though I suspect OCD players may feel uncomfortable without it if they practice that way as part of their routine. This is a case of intent where the ball is clearly an artificial device intended to enhance the throw. So it goes against the spirit of that rule. The weird thing is if the player put a 5 lb lead weighted glove on his offhand, it wouldn't draw attention to the artificial device. So I'm thinking I probably wouldn't call it as a marshal but hope the player felt guilty doing it and might not use it on principle.

You spoiled my entire slippery slope!!! I had 3 or 4 more examples to get there!

(Yes, this thread was solely because holding a disc (or more) in your off-hand should be illegal. Actually, *is* illegal.)

Very slippery. I think that the RC should add a clarification to the rule in the QA, addressing holding one disc in the off hand for any throw. I am a player who always carries two putters with me for putting and I switch them in and out. I'd get called for unnecessarily slowing down play if I were FORCED to only have one putter, and then realized I putted with it last time, so I then go back to my bag to change them out. What normally takes 10-11 seconds would be getting closer to 25, 28 seconds. Whereas, if I have the other putter in my off-hand, there's absolutely no delay.

Last edited:
Well I'm not standing within 50' of that guy, if it slips out of his hand that could end badly for someone.
Yeah, if you actually tried to use 5lbs in the off hand on a full throw it would probably rip your arm out of your shoulder socket unless you let go of it before that happens or it rips out and flings somewhere.

Players also hold towels, stools, umbrellas, disc golf bag etc. in their off-hands all of the time while putting at close range. If it is really such a problem that the original post scenario needs to be addressed, you will end up with something worse than if you just left it alone.

Grod is just trying to get everyone to agree with his idea that it should be illegal to hold anything in your offhand while putting.

Grod is just trying to get everyone to agree with his idea that it should be illegal to hold anything in your offhand while putting.

Oh, not at all. I'm only pointing out that it *is* currently illegal to hold anything in your off hand.

I neither agree nor disagree that's how it *should* be. i.e. I don't care.

Hmmmmm

You seem to be disagreeing with yourself. Have this problem often???

So, how is it illegal?

Back to your inconsistency, you said it should be illegal. Oh wait it is illegal. Then said you don't have an opinion, either way.

Even though you *corrected* your opinion to replace it with (incorrect) fact, your opinion was already stated as "should be illegal."

Very slippery. I am a player who always carries two putters with me for putting and I switch them in and out. I'd get called for unnecessarily slowing down play if I were FORCED to only have one putter, and then realized I putted with it last time, so I then go back to my bag to change them out. What normally takes 10-11 seconds would be getting closer to 25, 28 seconds. Whereas, if I have the other putter in my off-hand, there's absolutely no delay.

I just bring my 2 discs to my lie, decide which one I'm going to use, then drop the other one in front of my mini. There's no need to run back to your bag.

The solution is obvious. One disc only tournaments.

Latest posts