• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight lifting & disc golf?

would you mind giving the name of that app?

Well, since I have a Windows phone, probably won't help you, but I use the bing fitness app. It has different routines on it you can follow along and also has individual poses. The workout I did today was "the athlete's yoga" and tonight I'm pretty sore.

Once again, I'm making my yearly commitment to try to hit the gym. I like the idea of functional strength, and I plan on incorporating stretching much more. I also want to try new exercises and techniques to build functional strength.

This thread has some great suggestions. I was bummed when I got to the end without seeing how FredVegas clipped a disc to the cable machine. As a consolation vid, this alternative use for discs popped up in the YouTube related videos while watching form videos:

Want functional strength? Do suspension training. Trx is a good system.

Want to lose right and get strong? Do HIIT. You'll thank me after you barf.

Yesterday I started training at the gym because SS22 said my muscles are crap. Liberal (but i think still accurate) change in wording.

I ran 4 miles. First one at 4.5 setting and maximum uphill. Then another 2 at 10 speed... It was like 6 minute miles or something. And last mile before i left at 8 speed.

Then i used all the machines in the building pretty much. I was there for 3 hours. Prolly only 2.5 hrs of workout because i had to learn to use the machines. I was the kid who faked gym...

Anyways.

Do i just use the weight level that feels like not to much and not to little? Also is "reps" important? I just got on and did em till i was tired, kept going and when couldn't take it anymore id move to the next one.

Should i go every other day or what?

Also is heart beat important while running? I think i was at about 180. Do i need to get that up?

There was this cool chair with ropes for your arms and did different exercises for flexibility i did awhile too.

I just generally wanna get fit, get some abs, i want strong legs, back, shoulders and butt to improve distance. I also want to go to king of the hill next year and not even be tired. And i think i wanna try and be flexible enough to do a split for get out of trouble shots.

Anyways im off to the gym!

PWaggoner, if you're serious, either PM me or talk to one of the employees/trainers at your gym. You're doing way too much, without specific goals, and without knowing the basics. There are a lot of great resources out there. I'd be happy to help (as would the gym employees) but I think it would be better done via PM.

I will say your cardio is on track if you do that 4 or 5 times a week (assuming you are stretching properly afterwards to avoid injury) I would advise not starting with that much cardio 4 or 5 times a week...start with 2 times this week, then move up slowly from there.

But you shouldn't be spending 3 hours in the gym.

PWaggoner, if you're serious, either PM me or talk to one of the employees/trainers at your gym. You're doing way too much, without specific goals, and without knowing the basics. There are a lot of great resources out there. I'd be happy to help (as would the gym employees) but I think it would be better done via PM.

I will say your cardio is on track if you do that 4 or 5 times a week (assuming you are stretching properly afterwards to avoid injury) I would advise not starting with that much cardio 4 or 5 times a week...start with 2 times this week, then move up slowly from there.

This ^!

PW that is a terrible way to workout IMO and not really what I meant either about your muscles. It's just muscles you haven't used before and over used them. Look into HITT and strength training, don't use machines. You want to do shorter/harder workouts with more rest.

Lol well i pmed andy. Ill be following his instructions and also check out HITT. Have to google it first.

Lol well i pmed andy. Ill be following his instructions and also check out HITT. Have to google it first.

I agree with everything that has been said so far. 3 hours is way too much. I agree that HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is the way to go. I typically spend 45 minutes to an hour, 4-5 days a week, doing strength 3 days a week, and cardio 2 days.

Andy hit the nail on the head, talk to one of the trainers at your gym. Naturally they are likely going to try and sell you on some training program and sessions with them, which may or may not be a bad thing, but they will also be able to give you good tips.

BTW, since I have been back at the gym, my DG game has become better and much more consistent.

Are you the same Big Country who did the Lids video on Youtube? If so it was pretty cool.

Did 4 mile run and abs. Stretched after first slow mile and after the rest plus ab workout. Didn't use any other machines. Hour and a half. Wanted to do more but ill take slower.

Will wait some days to do cardio again. Def feel like i had my legs ran over.

Holy ****, OP. First off, forget all the crap you've learned from old wives tales.

News flash:, "high reps light weight for lean muscle isn't true in a y way, shape or form. Muscle fascia grows by small tears and then repairing said tears. The definitive factors for that are progressive workload and time under tension. High repetitions at light weight are only good for one thing: cardio; and that's only if you are doing them at high speed with improper form (a la crossfit) which I don't reccomend. I seriously can't believe that in this day and age the old wives tale of "low weight high reps"persists. I also can't believe people still use the phrase "lean muscle" as if there was some other type of muscle.

Okay. Deep breath.

Now, if want specific disc golf relsted.exercises, others have already posted what you need. Shoulders, legs and core. It wouldn't hurt to throw in some grip exercises as well. From your post I assume that you know your way around the gym but probably don't go every day. So here's a split I would dio if I were you:

Day 1:
Overhead Dumbell Press (4 sets, 12-15 reps)
Dumbell Lateral Raises (3 sets, 15 reps)
Dumbell Front Raises (3 sets, 15 reps)
Low Cable rows (4 sets, 12-15 reps)
Barbell Bicep Curls (3 sets, 10-12 reps)
Triceps Push downs (3 sets, 10-12 reps)

DAY 2

Leg Extension Machine (5 sets, 15-20 reps)
Hamstring curls (5 sets, 15-20 reps)
Calf Raise Machine (150 reps total)
Leg Press (5 sets, 15-20 reps)
Barbell Squat (3 sets, 12-15 reps)

DAY 3

Bench Press (3 sets, 12-15 reps)
Dumbell Flyes (4 sets, 15-20 reps)
Weighted sit - ups (5 sets, 25 reps)
Hanging leg raises (150 total)
Roman Chair sit ups (100 total)

Also try and do 250 crunches and 150 push ups per day at home. Try taking a yoga class or using DDP Yoga (which I use) to maintain and even increase your flexibility.

If you have a Crossfit gym in your area, it might be worth looking into and speaking with their trainers after you've developed a good base. Crossfit is all about functional strength so it should really help. Caution though: many crossfitter s are huge douche canoes.

Lastly, please forget all the old wives tales of working out. They will only hinder your progress. Additionally, don't waste your money on stupid supplements that you will just pee out. A multivitamin in the morning, fish oil for your joints and protein after your workout are all you need.

Hope that helps.

With all due respect (and realizing that there is a certified trainer making the recommendation on this program suggestion) please at least consider another opinion before undertaking something like this ... just a few precautions to note from a quick read through ... something to at least consider ...

Day 1 ... shoulders/bi's/tri's ...

14 sets for shoulders, with a total of 60 possible reps total, is a LOT of work for this body part ... especially when followed with the recommendation to do in addition 'per day' at home 150 push-ups? ... when are these getting time to recover? .. and then go throw discs and all your other daily activities on top of it ?...

for Bi's ... the average Joe/Jill would be much better off using dumbells instead of 'barbell curls', as there is almost always the situation of one arm being stronger than the other, and with the bar the weaker arm will continue in that state, as the other arm is able compensate and do the majority of the work ... also dumbells/kettle balls/etc will allow each arm to operate within its own range of motion, and will also incorporate more stabilizer development ...

Tri's ... I prefer to see a little more variety than just tricep pressdowns, but then the tri's were also used in the overhead shoulder presses (and will be used extensively in your daily push-ups) ... done properly, tri press downs done on a lat machine is generally considered more of a 'finishing/isolation' motion that helps to develop the 'outer' head, and can be used with a relatively light weight to be effective ... a suggestion is to vary grip between bars and rope if this is all you do for tri 's ...

Day 2 ... Legs ... no real issues, just not sure I like to see anyone do all the 'heavy' leg work (Squats/Presses) 'after' the tearing down/pre-exhausting the muscle groups with machine leg curls and hammy extensions ... connective tissue/joints can be stressed more when muscle groups are in an exhausted state ...

Day 3 ... Chest and Abs ... 3 sets of bench press (barbell) is fine, but for general fitness, I take the bar away again and give them dumbells for many of the reasons mentioned above (range of motion discrepancies L & R, stabilizer recruitment, etc), but maybe more importantly, if training alone, it can be much safer ... no issues bailing out with DB if there is an issue .. then this body part appears to be finished with flyes ... one comment here, is that there is a LOT of shoulder involvement in both of these motions (see above comment on shoulder workouts, with adequate time for recuperation) ... don't forget to do you 150 pushups on this day (and the next when shoulders are still recuperating) as well (??) ...

Abs ... again, if general fitness is the quest, IMHO there really is no reason to be doing weighted sit-ups ... adding weight to this motion is ideal for creating a 'blocky' midsection unless someone is a bit more advanced, and getting down to the sub 7% body fat range to allow the 'cuts' for show purposes ... remember, you are already doing abdominal work 'daily', 250 crunches (please be careful on technique, both range of motion and breathing based upon individual limitations)

.. there are a myriad of different body splits/movements/programs out there floating around that can work effectively, just not all are suitable for everyone, and they should not be stated as a 'recommendation' on a public forum without the proper caveats, and/or a prior personal assesment, both physical and without attention to the trainees specific goals and limitations ... another observation of this program as recommended, there is very little work directed towards large muscle groups of the back .... isolated shoulder work could be reduced substantially with proper program design utilizing compound movements ....

.. all JMHO as always ...

Gonna try and make this short and sweet, when in reality could write a book. Let me start by saying I am not even close to a pro DG'er. Barely been playing a year. Have played Ball Golf my whole life, and seen the benefits of strength and mobility in my game. Background: B.S. Exercise Science, Sports Performance experience, and current DPT student.

Exercise in golf has certainly been re-looked at since Tiger Woods decided to turn into a monster. That being said, it did not make or break his career. Same goes for DG. For some people it may help them get out of a plateau and keep climbing. I do believe that the benefits of exercise will help your game, but not as much as some people like to think, as previously stated, DG is mainly technique, not a strong arm contest.

There is no such thing as a perfect workout for a specific goal. Everyone is different, every ones strengths, weaknesses, and restrictions will be different. With that being said, a workout I would design for disc golfer A may be completely inappropriate for disc golfer B , even if they have the same long term goal. A good place to start would be Gary Grays med ball series exercises. I believe these can be found through the Nike Golf 360 website. Something that mostly everyone can do. These exercises are performed in all planes of motion. DG is mostly played in the Transverse Plane, so you should train in the Transverse Plane. My next recommendation would be TRX or Jungle Gym training (go ahead youtube it, Drew Brees stars in a decent video). Yes, they love to throw the buzzword "functional" around, but these types of exercises are not focusing on a specific muscle group but training the whole body fingernail to toe nail.

These are just starting points for those looking to focus their workouts more towards DG. Take it as it is. There is no quick fix exercise routine, good programs are constantly changed and modified, and they certainly don't involve machines at the gym, (run from those....no seriously, run).

.. excellent post ..

.. just a bit of an addendum perhaps for those a bit less versed in the gym environment ... not all 'machines' are created equal ... those which dictate your range of motion, and/or do all of the 'balance' activity for the users are the ones to avoid ... those which let the user select their own range of motion, AND the user provides the stabilization of the resistance through the entire range of motion can be very beneficial, and in some cases one of the only ways to safely isolate a muscle group ...

.. with all that said, even machines that do not afford the above criteria, do have their place in the exercise world, but it is extremely unlikely that anyone on this forum would benefit from their use vs. the methods suggested by the OP (other than maybe under properly trained, direct supervision in a medical situation) ... the balance and stabilization challenges/benefits for apparently healthy trainees cannot be over emphasized in their program design ...

.. excellent post ..

.. just a bit of an addendum perhaps for those a bit less versed in the gym environment ... not all 'machines' are created equal ... those which dictate your range of motion, and/or do all of the 'balance' activity for the users are the ones to avoid ... those which let the user select their own range of motion, AND the user provides the stabilization of the resistance through the entire range of motion can be very beneficial, and in some cases one of the only ways to safely isolate a muscle group ...

.. with all that said, even machines that do not afford the above criteria, do have their place in the exercise world, but it is extremely unlikely that anyone on this forum would benefit from their use vs. the methods suggested by the OP (other than maybe under properly trained, direct supervision in a medical situation) ... the balance and stabilization challenges/benefits for apparently healthy trainees cannot be over emphasized in their program design ...

I would not recommend using machines at all, or doing exercises that isolate muscles since there really is no activity in every day life or in sports where this is beneficial.

Not to split hairs, but the statement highlighted above completely contradicts itself. The only way to provide the stabilization you are talking about is to include other muscle groups - core, legs, other connecting muscles - that is the complete opposite of isolation.

For at least half my workout I use suspension training, and any dumbbell or barbell exercise I do standing up. For me I find this provides the most balance and complete workout as it incorporates the core and legs in any exercise I do.

I also disagree wholeheartedly with the opinion that technique is the only thing that matters in disc golf. Like other sports, technique is very important. But strength, endurance and fitness can not be seriously underestimated.

Where will technique get you if you don't have the strength and endurance to last through a 4 round weekend tournament, or a 4 day long tournament? Plus it only makes sense that with proper technique, a stronger player will throw farther and more accurately.

Just my two cents based on personal experience. My game has definitely improved since I have been hitting the gym regularly.

I would not recommend using machines at all, or doing exercises that isolate muscles since there really is no activity in every day life or in sports where this is beneficial.

Not to split hairs, but the statement highlighted above completely contradicts itself. The only way to provide the stabilization you are talking about is to include other muscle groups - core, legs, other connecting muscles - that is the complete opposite of isolation.

For at least half my workout I use suspension training, and any dumbbell or barbell exercise I do standing up. For me I find this provides the most balance and complete workout as it incorporates the core and legs in any exercise I do.

... then we can clearly agree to disagree on the use of 'NO machines' as a blanket statement ... and I also think that many well versed, qualified, experienced trainers will share the sentiment that in some instances, certain machines have their place in the fitness/rehabilitation world ...

.. there is no contradiction to my statement that you highlighted ... the use of the word stabilization is this case is referring to the body providing the recruitment of synergistic muscle fiber to balance/support the resistance/movement through the entire range of motion, not the arm of a machine or device ... and, there are often times that isolation of a muscle group can be beneficial in strength/recuperative training where no core, and no legs would be advantageous, such as the specific motions which isolate the rotator cuff ...

It sounds like we have real world experiences on different sides of the training world ... that is fine, as no one trainer (or style) is suitable for all applications and endeavors ... this is beginning to move beyond the OP inquiry as to DG specificity, so I digress to get back on topic ...

Holy ****, OP. First off, forget all the crap you've learned from old wives tales.

News flash:, "high reps light weight for lean muscle isn't true in a y way, shape or form. Muscle fascia grows by small tears and then repairing said tears. The definitive factors for that are progressive workload and time under tension. High repetitions at light weight are only good for one thing: cardio; and that's only if you are doing them at high speed with improper form (a la crossfit) which I don't reccomend. I seriously can't believe that in this day and age the old wives tale of "low weight high reps"persists. I also can't believe people still use the phrase "lean muscle" as if there was some other type of muscle.

Okay. Deep breath.

Now, if want specific disc golf relsted.exercises, others have already posted what you need. Shoulders, legs and core. It wouldn't hurt to throw in some grip exercises as well. From your post I assume that you know your way around the gym but probably don't go every day. So here's a split I would dio if I were you:

Day 1:
Overhead Dumbell Press (4 sets, 12-15 reps)
Dumbell Lateral Raises (3 sets, 15 reps)
Dumbell Front Raises (3 sets, 15 reps)
Low Cable rows (4 sets, 12-15 reps)
Barbell Bicep Curls (3 sets, 10-12 reps)
Triceps Push downs (3 sets, 10-12 reps)

DAY 2

Leg Extension Machine (5 sets, 15-20 reps)
Hamstring curls (5 sets, 15-20 reps)
Calf Raise Machine (150 reps total)
Leg Press (5 sets, 15-20 reps)
Barbell Squat (3 sets, 12-15 reps)

DAY 3

Bench Press (3 sets, 12-15 reps)
Dumbell Flyes (4 sets, 15-20 reps)
Weighted sit - ups (5 sets, 25 reps)
Hanging leg raises (150 total)
Roman Chair sit ups (100 total)

Also try and do 250 crunches and 150 push ups per day at home. Try taking a yoga class or using DDP Yoga (which I use) to maintain and even increase your flexibility.

If you have a Crossfit gym in your area, it might be worth looking into and speaking with their trainers after you've developed a good base. Crossfit is all about functional strength so it should really help. Caution though: many crossfitter s are huge douche canoes.

Lastly, please forget all the old wives tales of working out. They will only hinder your progress. Additionally, don't waste your money on stupid supplements that you will just pee out. A multivitamin in the morning, fish oil for your joints and protein after your workout are all you need.

Hope that helps.

I would disagree on the multivitamin, certain nutrients blocks the absorption of other nutrients, while others depend on each other. Multivitamins can be detrimental to one's health. Nutrition is more complex then working out. A good diet is best. If in doubt, seek out a professional for a plan.

Muscles have very little to do with being able to throw far. It's basically all about technique, sequencing and timing. Here are arguably the three biggest throwers in disc golf, notice how all of them have far below average arm muscles

maxresdefault.jpg

eagle-mcmahon-gbo-round-2.jpg

Simon_IMB_article.jpg

Muscles have very little to do with being able to throw far. It's basically all about technique, sequencing and timing. Here are arguably the three biggest throwers in disc golf, notice how all of them have far below average arm muscles
Those guys couldn't get muscles if they tried, and have natural advantage in throwing due to their long levers.

Sandstrom - arguably one of the best distance throwers ever competed in Mr. Fitness competitions:
Throwingtatoo-ed298c70951c2d674f8c4d2fa335c4ee-650x500-100-crop.jpg

2805538_1135_958.jpg

Last edited: