• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight loss disc golf

I have a friend who plays. He's been playing for about 4 years. When I met him (3 years ago) he was at 350ish. When he started playing he said he was around 390. Since moving back to Ohio I've talked to him a few times and about 5 weeks ago was the last time, he said he's down to about 230ish now. All he did was play DG as many times a week as his endurance would allow him to and as he started losing more weight he was able to play more rounds. He's also taken up a better diet than what he had going on before playing. I don't know if he meant to play DG to lose weight, but it's working for him.

My diet is awful, but I've lost 4 inches on my waist in the last 6 months playing disc golf.

Crucial for me was to buy an Innova Competition Bag and always carry a full complement of discs and full water bottles.

And play ski hills.

In July.

At High Noon.

racer,
I have been doing weight watchers with the wife and am an RN. I work on my feet all day and I disc when I can (prolly not enough because of the stupid shifts I work) but I have gone from 355 to 301 ince april when I started playing. I don't think my weight loss would be as accelerated if I weren't disc golfing.
Weight watchers is easy to do and really quite discrete. You can eat what you want as long as you stay in the framework of the program. I still can have fast food in moderation.
any questions, feel free to PM me.
jeff

My grandma and grandpa was doing that and it worked great for them until my Grandpa's doctor told him he had cancer. It put a huge strain on their spirits and they both gained weight. He has since beat his cancer for now, but the weight has stayed. I do believe that is one of the better programs out there.

I started a round with my wife one day but she got mad and left. does that count as weight loss?

Now thats funny I don't care who you are (Larry the cable guy)

Yep...carry very few discs and try to just keep moving fast enough to get your heartrate up some. Walking is the best way to burn fat.

Thanks I will have to try it once I can start to move a bit better.

I lost most of my weight before I started playing DG, in college. Lots of basketball, walking to campus from a few blocks away, no sodas or fastfood except on the weekend and I went from ~260 to ~225 (lowest I got to was 219 but it didn't last long). DG has kept most of it off, and if I disced every day it would probably keep it all off. I hover around 230 but I started playing Bball again 3 times a week so hopefully I can finally break that 200 lb mark one day.

I hope to one day get back to a much healthier weight.

If I was DGing just for exercise, I'd carry a small bag of discs with 2 big drink holders and play brisk rounds on courses with moderate elevation. Mix up some speed golf rounds for cardio.

I have seen others do that. It looks like a killer workout. Too bad I get winded getting out of the car. I can make it a whole round it just takes me a little longer.

I have a friend who plays. He's been playing for about 4 years. When I met him (3 years ago) he was at 350ish. When he started playing he said he was around 390. Since moving back to Ohio I've talked to him a few times and about 5 weeks ago was the last time, he said he's down to about 230ish now. All he did was play DG as many times a week as his endurance would allow him to and as he started losing more weight he was able to play more rounds. He's also taken up a better diet than what he had going on before playing. I don't know if he meant to play DG to lose weight, but it's working for him.

That is an awesome story. It resembles me the most so far and I can really relate to it. This is what brings me hope. I have three young kids and I want to be able to play DG with them for years to come. By the way I live in Canton, Ohio maybe we could play a round some time.

there for awhile i was only playing maybe 3 or 4 rounds a month because of a heavy work schedule. during that time i started packing on some pounds. i ended up quitting that job and started getting back to throwing at least a round a day and was able to drop about 20 lbs in a month and a half

there for awhile i was only playing maybe 3 or 4 rounds a month because of a heavy work schedule. during that time i started packing on some pounds. i ended up quitting that job and started getting back to throwing at least a round a day and was able to drop about 20 lbs in a month and a half

Yeah I was let go from my job and now I am starting to play a round a day. Really I am only doing about a half of a round. I bring my son and he is getting a lot better. he is only 3 right now. I have measured one of his throws at 100ft. Plus he has made puts from over 40ft before. Not bad for a 3 year old.

The bad thing is I am having trouble teaching him to lay up on shots. You know so he does not keep passing the basket when he misses. For the most part he putts just like he drives. I am going to get a video of him real soon and I will post it up on here.

Yeah I was let go from my job and now I am starting to play a round a day. Really I am only doing about a half of a round. I bring my son and he is getting a lot better. he is only 3 right now. I have measured one of his throws at 100ft. Plus he has made puts from over 40ft before. Not bad for a 3 year old.

The bad thing is I am having trouble teaching him to lay up on shots. You know so he does not keep passing the basket when he misses. For the most part he putts just like he drives. I am going to get a video of him real soon and I will post it up on here.

That's pretty rad your son is only 3 and taking interest in the game and doing so well for his age. If I could nail 40ft putts I'd be happy :). I play Spiker sometimes, and I only live an hour drive away from there with a home course less than 10 min from me. If you wanna come out here or next time I'm out there we can definitely play a round together man. If you're into it, I have a Roc vs Buzzz tournament tomorrow here at the home course Young's Run , 2 rounds, tee off at 10:30, 25.00 entry (not the 30.00 on the website) with players pack and free lunch.

One of the older guys I play regularly with has lost about 75-80 lbs in a little over a year with Disc Golf being his only real exercise. He also hardly changed his diet. I think one of the keys is it being exercise without feeling like it.

I have been playing for only about 4 months now and I play 3 to 5 times a week. I try to get out every other day if I can. The biggest thing I have noticed is that since I have started I have not had any more acid reflux and friends have asked if I was getting leaner. I haven't weighed myself but I do feel better that is for sure. I am loving being outdoors and playing. I like that I am taking a walk but it doesn't feel like a walk I don't get bored like I used to do walking around.

Like a lot have mentioned, play a speed round with only 1 disc...I'd only add that on top of that 1 disc, you could carry a couple 5- or 10-pound dumbbells, maybe wear a pedometer to put your distance traveled into perspective...

Also, cocaine is a hell of a drug.

When I started playing Dec. of last year (even in the snow) I weighed 374lbs. (down from 415) Today I just weighed in at 251.2 - which is a decent loss. I want to be sub 200 by the end of next year. I primarily play disc golf - and sometimes I go to the gym.

Ok I just know this can work. I have just been way to lazy lately. I am a bit over 350 pounds, but I love disc golfing. Of course with my immense size it get quite challenging for me do accomplish some courses.

Now, I know with the proper eating habits and regular trips to the local course I could achieve my weight loss goals and get even better at disc golf.

I like to relate disc golf as a sport where you are exercising without even thinking of it as exercise.

I wanted to hear if anyone has had success with incorporating disc golf in to their weight loss routine and if so what was your routine.

People are going to immediately hate on this suggestion because barely anyone in America would ever contemplate doing this. But I have personally done it, it works, its fast, its healthy, and its actually really easy.

Juice fasting (With organic vegetable and fruit juices and water). Obviously look up the details first, but this is the easiest and safest way to lose weight. Easy because you don't have to do ANYTHING, its all about what you don't do. I juice/water fasted for 22 days (Which may have been too long considering I was not overweight to begin with, I just did it for detoxification purposes). Anyways, I lost 21 lbs in 22 days. For me this was excellent in the long run, because it slowed down my metabolism and helped me get up to a higher weight. If you're overweight, it will speed your metabolism. It is very balancing. Also, it is MUCH easier for someone who is overweight to fast because the fat will continually provide you with energy. And no your muscle do not waste away. Fat wastes away first. I did temporarily lose a minute amount of strength WHILE fasting, but afterward it returned immediately. After the first 3 days, physical hunger disappears. If you REALLY want to do something, you can.

Just a suggestion, now let the haters who've never researched or tried fasting come attack me.

keep playing but get some cardio as well...i lost 15-20lbs within a year of starting discgolf, now im a lean mean throwing machine

That's pretty rad your son is only 3 and taking interest in the game and doing so well for his age. If I could nail 40ft putts I'd be happy :). I play Spiker sometimes, and I only live an hour drive away from there with a home course less than 10 min from me. If you wanna come out here or next time I'm out there we can definitely play a round together man. If you're into it, I have a Roc vs Buzzz tournament tomorrow here at the home course Young's Run , 2 rounds, tee off at 10:30, 25.00 entry (not the 30.00 on the website) with players pack and free lunch.

Yeah I couldn't believe he was nailing them that far away. Of course it is not hitting all of the time, but I am sure out of a few throws he can nail one from 40ft away.

We will have to get together and throw a round sometime. I can play during the week, but weekends do work better. During the week I play around 5pm or so.

One of the older guys I play regularly with has lost about 75-80 lbs in a little over a year with Disc Golf being his only real exercise. He also hardly changed his diet. I think one of the keys is it being exercise without feeling like it.

That is awesome. I think I could handle that, but I do need to edit my diet as well. Three coney dogs in a sitting is not going to cut it. Plus I notice when I eat better I feel 1000% better then when I don't.

I have been playing for only about 4 months now and I play 3 to 5 times a week. I try to get out every other day if I can. The biggest thing I have noticed is that since I have started I have not had any more acid reflux and friends have asked if I was getting leaner. I haven't weighed myself but I do feel better that is for sure. I am loving being outdoors and playing. I like that I am taking a walk but it doesn't feel like a walk I don't get bored like I used to do walking around.

I take a pill for acid reflux everyday and it really sucks. I feel like if I lost the weight I would be able to eliminate the acid reflux and need for BP meds.

Like a lot have mentioned, play a speed round with only 1 disc...I'd only add that on top of that 1 disc, you could carry a couple 5- or 10-pound dumbbells, maybe wear a pedometer to put your distance traveled into perspective...

Also, cocaine is a hell of a drug.

This will be great for when I am in better shape. Minus the cocaine of course. I am way too paranoid to take that.

When I started playing Dec. of last year (even in the snow) I weighed 374lbs. (down from 415) Today I just weighed in at 251.2 - which is a decent loss. I want to be sub 200 by the end of next year. I primarily play disc golf - and sometimes I go to the gym.

This is great inspiration. If I do decide to write that book I will be hitting you up for some questions.

I lost 110lbs of ugly fat once,,I got a divorce.;)

Ha ha yeah I am on my second marriage. The squeal is much better.

If I lost anymore weight, I'd disappear.

Ha ha well being under weight is no fun either, but much easier to move.

People are going to immediately hate on this suggestion because barely anyone in America would ever contemplate doing this. But I have personally done it, it works, its fast, its healthy, and its actually really easy.

Juice fasting (With organic vegetable and fruit juices and water). Obviously look up the details first, but this is the easiest and safest way to lose weight. Easy because you don't have to do ANYTHING, its all about what you don't do. I juice/water fasted for 22 days (Which may have been too long considering I was not overweight to begin with, I just did it for detoxification purposes). Anyways, I lost 21 lbs in 22 days. For me this was excellent in the long run, because it slowed down my metabolism and helped me get up to a higher weight. If you're overweight, it will speed your metabolism. It is very balancing. Also, it is MUCH easier for someone who is overweight to fast because the fat will continually provide you with energy. And no your muscle do not waste away. Fat wastes away first. I did temporarily lose a minute amount of strength WHILE fasting, but afterward it returned immediately. After the first 3 days, physical hunger disappears. If you REALLY want to do something, you can.

Just a suggestion, now let the haters who've never researched or tried fasting come attack me.

I do like the idea of fasting. Not quite to the extent of 22 days, but a good 3 days is a great start. Then I could start eating right.

keep playing but get some cardio as well...i lost 15-20lbs within a year of starting discgolf, now im a lean mean throwing machine

I was thinking of adding a workout video once I get down under 300 pounds. Then once I get to 250 or so I could try the P90X the is one heck of a workout.

I do like the idea of fasting. Not quite to the extent of 22 days, but a good 3 days is a great start. Then I could start eating right.

I was thinking of adding a workout video once I get down under 300 pounds. Then once I get to 250 or so I could try the P90X the is one heck of a workout.

Fasting for 3 days will be very difficult. It's after the first 3 days that it gets easy. You'd be surprised at the lack of hunger you experience.

A workout is obviously a great idea. Cardio is most important for losing weight though.