• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight loss disc golf

I think disc golf has kept me from gaining weight. I have been with Chilis for over four years and managing a little over two. Especially the last two years in management my diet has been awful, unhealthy, and excessive. I eat completely for free. And we are not a healthy place. That's a bare minimum of 5 full Chilis meals a week, and tons of eating out and fast food. In the last two years I've only gone from 185 to 190, and I'm 6'2", so that's not shabby. I say disc golf has definitely helped me not to blow up proportionate to my diet.

When i started playing in april of 09 I weighed right around 200 lbs (6 ft tall) I would play multiple times a week, often multiple rounds a day in the hot south florida sunshine. I got down to 167 by the fall and have since stabilized at about 175. DG helped me completely change my lifestyle. While not drastically overweight, i did need to to shed some pounds. I now play less, but I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and eat very well.

Weight loss is 20% exercise and 80% diet.

I haven't lost a bunch of weight, so keep that in mind, but I have been more health conscious in the past several years and have found things that do and don't help.

One big one that I've been doing that was almost too obvious and easy that I feel dumb for not starting with it is substituting 1/3 to 1/2 of what I was eating at lunch with fresh vegetables. I would usually eat leftovers from the night before or a sandwich and some chips or something, but cutting out the chips or half the leftovers and eating raw broccoli and carrots instead was easy to do, I stay fuller for longer and I cut out enough calories I don't need for fiber, vitamins and minerals I do need. I'm pretty sure this is one of the things Weight Watchers encourages with how the points are structured.

For exercising the only thing I've found that appears to be nearly universally true is that if it isn't hard, it isn't optimal. If what you're doing is easy for you then it probably won't be enough to help lose weight or gain muscle. It has to be difficult. This is something I've not only noticed with myself, but with others I know that are trying to lose the amount of weight you're after.

Something I noticed at my last job was that the people who tracked every calorie in and every calorie out had much better results than those that didn't. There were two guys trying to lose weight. One of them tracked his calories and spent time on a treadmill. The other took a class at a gym but didn't track his eating closely (he ate Lean Pockets and backed chips for lunch and didn't eat breakfast). One lost 30 pounds over a couple months (and probably started more than 100 pounds lighter than the OP) and the other saw almost no results except getting better at doing his class.

If I can talk my wife into letting me play more disc golf, I think it would be a great exercise. Maybe if I tell her that it is a good work out plan, maybe I will even be able to get her into disc golf more! I guess it's worth a shot!

I bring my son and he is getting a lot better. he is only 3 right now. I have measured one of his throws at 100ft. Plus he has made puts from over 40ft before. Not bad for a 3 year old.

Your 3yo son is a better putter than I am :(

...(stuff about juice fasting)...

Nothing wrong with fasting as a mental exercise, or as a way to "detox" mentally and physically... but it's not a long term weight-loss solution, and it *will* slow down your metabolism almost universally - unless your diet is so bad that it's making you sick (junk food, fried foods, sugar, refined grains).

Intermittent fasting, on the other hand, seems to be a good long-term solution for weight loss and insulin management. I've never tried it, but I know and respect another lifter (5'8", lean 245) who swears by it.

I take a pill for acid reflux everyday and it really sucks. I feel like if I lost the weight I would be able to eliminate the acid reflux and need for BP meds.

I know this is a personal question, but are you constantly on antibiotics? Acid reflux is usually just a symptom of poor digestion, but your doctor isn't going to tell you that because most doctors confuse getting people healthy with managing symptoms.

IMO, the most important things you can do to lose weight, in order, are -
* Eat primarily lean protein and vegetables (LOTS of vegetables)
* Eat a breakfast every day
* Be habitually active (outdoor hobbies :thmbup:, riding a bike instead of driving, etc)

It also helps if every now and then, you track everything you eat for one or two days and count your calories. That way you have a general idea of how much you're eating, and can decide if it's too much or too little. It also helps to be able to estimate how many calories are in a meal, especially if your routine is disturbed for whatever reason, and you find yourself having to eat out.

Weight loss is 20% exercise and 80% diet.

These are the same percentages I cam up with. Just from my own experience.

I haven't lost a bunch of weight, so keep that in mind, but I have been more health conscious in the past several years and have found things that do and don't help.

One big one that I've been doing that was almost too obvious and easy that I feel dumb for not starting with it is substituting 1/3 to 1/2 of what I was eating at lunch with fresh vegetables. I would usually eat leftovers from the night before or a sandwich and some chips or something, but cutting out the chips or half the leftovers and eating raw broccoli and carrots instead was easy to do, I stay fuller for longer and I cut out enough calories I don't need for fiber, vitamins and minerals I do need. I'm pretty sure this is one of the things Weight Watchers encourages with how the points are structured.

For exercising the only thing I've found that appears to be nearly universally true is that if it isn't hard, it isn't optimal. If what you're doing is easy for you then it probably won't be enough to help lose weight or gain muscle. It has to be difficult. This is something I've not only noticed with myself, but with others I know that are trying to lose the amount of weight you're after.

Something I noticed at my last job was that the people who tracked every calorie in and every calorie out had much better results than those that didn't. There were two guys trying to lose weight. One of them tracked his calories and spent time on a treadmill. The other took a class at a gym but didn't track his eating closely (he ate Lean Pockets and backed chips for lunch and didn't eat breakfast). One lost 30 pounds over a couple months (and probably started more than 100 pounds lighter than the OP) and the other saw almost no results except getting better at doing his class.

I have not tried counting calories before. I did eat five small meals a day that gave me the best results. I mean stuff like a bowl of oatmeal 1 meal, almonds meal 2, piece of fish and steamed broccoli meal 3, a few carrots meal 4, a strawberry and banana smoothie with a splash of skim milk meal 5.

Of course I would change it up but the idea is to have these small power meals. This way I will not go hungry and it will keep my metabolism burning at a high rate. Add in the fact I will keep active with disc golf and it is a complete plan that will be easy and fun.

Your 3yo son is a better putter than I am :(

Nothing wrong with fasting as a mental exercise, or as a way to "detox" mentally and physically... but it's not a long term weight-loss solution, and it *will* slow down your metabolism almost universally - unless your diet is so bad that it's making you sick (junk food, fried foods, sugar, refined grains).

Intermittent fasting, on the other hand, seems to be a good long-term solution for weight loss and insulin management. I've never tried it, but I know and respect another lifter (5'8", lean 245) who swears by it.

I know this is a personal question, but are you constantly on antibiotics? Acid reflux is usually just a symptom of poor digestion, but your doctor isn't going to tell you that because most doctors confuse getting people healthy with managing symptoms.

IMO, the most important things you can do to lose weight, in order, are -
* Eat primarily lean protein and vegetables (LOTS of vegetables)
* Eat a breakfast every day
* Be habitually active (outdoor hobbies :thmbup:, riding a bike instead of driving, etc)

It also helps if every now and then, you track everything you eat for one or two days and count your calories. That way you have a general idea of how much you're eating, and can decide if it's too much or too little. It also helps to be able to estimate how many calories are in a meal, especially if your routine is disturbed for whatever reason, and you find yourself having to eat out.

Ha ha yeah my 3 year old whips his old man every once and a while in putting. Its a good thing I can still out throw him by 200ft or so. At least for now. Like I said he has had 100ft throw before. In fact a couple courses we have gone to he has had par on them. Amazing for a three year old.

I really like your response and advise about losing weight. It is very well put and informative. I have thought for a long time that doctors worry more about managing the problem instead of fixing it.

A lot of people on here are saying lose the bag and play a speed round. How about going the opposite way? If you don't have a backpack bag then it'll be harder, but load up your bag. I really feel it when I've got my tournament bag on with two giant gatorade bottles, a chair, and lots of hills. Grab a normal backpack and stuff it with weights if you have to, with room for a few discs. Just don't use a single strap bag because that's not good for your back.

Lots of water + layers to make you sweat. Sweat it out.

I don't really agree with the 20% exercise 80% diet, as a blanket statement, it really all depends individually. The five small meals/day is a good plan, and breakfast is really important. The biggest diet fails are soda, sugary snacks, and bleached wheats/grains. Fruits and veggies are always good. I'd stay away from PX90 if you are injury prone.

Building muscle(strength training) is great for losing weight and it burns more fat while you are doing nothing. More muscle = burn more fat at rest. You don't have to go a gym or anything, just get some T.O. bands(Bodylastics) and it comes with all the training you need. Hardcore cardio, anything getting your heartrate over 150bpm is not the best way to lose weight, it doesn't burn as much fat at that heartrate range. It also often leads to burn out, injury, and overeating(sugar cravings). The best cardio for weight loss like brisk walking keeps your heartrate around 120bmp as that is the fat burning zone. Its good to mix it up some and get your heartrate up higher every once in while though.

There has been a lot of debate about lifting vs cardio for long term health benefits, and the consensus says that just lifting provides almost as good results, as just cardio. Most cardio programs are just too much for many overweight people, so weight lifting is an excellent alternative.

A lot of people on here are saying lose the bag and play a speed round. How about going the opposite way? If you don't have a backpack bag then it'll be harder, but load up your bag. I really feel it when I've got my tournament bag on with two giant gatorade bottles, a chair, and lots of hills. Grab a normal backpack and stuff it with weights if you have to, with room for a few discs. Just don't use a single strap bag because that's not good for your back.

I'd rather see him moving faster or continually moving. Less discs = getting to know your discs better/ less decision time = moving faster. Adding extra weight is harder on the joints and your back that are already stressed from being overweight. Adding some weight would be ok after being able to get through a round fairly fast without feeling like its a workout. Low impact is key for beginner exercisers.

Layering to sweat off weight is not a good idea(unless you are a wrestler, but still not good practice). It makes you lose water weight, not fat. This can also be dangerous from dehydration. Losing too much potassium from sweating and replacing it with just water could also result in cardiac arrest. This is where gatorade is very important because it replaces the potassium unlike water.

really fast metabolism + disc golf as often as possible = all the beer + junk food i can handle

I'd rather see him moving faster or continually moving. Less discs = getting to know your discs better/ less decision time = moving faster. Adding extra weight is harder on the joints and your back that are already stressed from being overweight. Adding some weight would be ok after being able to get through a round fairly fast without feeling like its a workout. Low impact is key for beginner exercisers.

Layering to sweat off weight is not a good idea(unless you are a wrestler, but still not good practice). It makes you lose water weight, not fat. This can also be dangerous from dehydration. Losing too much potassium from sweating and replacing it with just water could also result in cardiac arrest. This is where gatorade is very important because it replaces the potassium unlike water.

I'm w/ sidewinder as well but you bring up a good idea, generally. I would advise playing mostly with a light bag/few discs just to get started but if you hit a plateau switch it up and load up the tourney bag for a little resistance training. You have to keep your body guessing is the bottom line.

Be careful when you start discing a lot b/c you'll work some muscles that your body's not potentially used to, like forearms, knees, lower back, and your feet.

Ok I just know this can work. I have just been way to lazy lately. I am a bit over 350 pounds, but I love disc golfing. Of course with my immense size it get quite challenging for me do accomplish some courses.

Now, I know with the proper eating habits and regular trips to the local course I could achieve my weight loss goals and get even better at disc golf.

I like to relate disc golf as a sport where you are exercising without even thinking of it as exercise.

I wanted to hear if anyone has had success with incorporating disc golf in to their weight loss routine and if so what was your routine.

One of our buddies is 54 years old and got in to disc golf about a year ago. He's lost about 20-30 lbs because of it. sais he's in the best shape he's been in, in a while. Personally, the exercise keeps me right where I need to be. I'd much rather get my cardio out there on the course than running along a busy city street anyday.

Exercise is one great thing about it. Hope to get to your goal.

I would suggest reading a book called the abs diet. It is less a book on dieting as it is a book on making better eating decisions and to maximize weight loss. Hits on all the major good points, multiple meals, lean protiens, veggies, and a mix of full body weight training(three time a week) and cardio(brisk walking). I have started the P90X series twice now, once with the girl friend and and when she stopped I stopped, the second time a month in I lost the Videos(comp virus) and while this is a great program it is pretty intense mostly just on the time demands. At the time my comp crashed I was reading the abs diet book and it was much the program as P90x just less X. I even happened upon the abs diet work out video which has three levels and great for someone looking to get into a quick at home full body workout. Good luck.

Last edited:
eating healthy snacks on the course (assuming games are between meals) is a good idea as well. low in sugar, high in protein, balanced carbs. be careful of the energy drinks and thirst quenchers because they can have way to much sugar in them.

that's pretty much the 5 smalls meals a day bit everyone talks bout. that raises your metobolism.

Worked for me in high school. went from 230lbs to 160, 38" to 30" waist in about 1.5 years. of course i wasn't playing disc golf then, just joggin. i'm sure i would have ended up with the same result.

I have not tried counting calories before. I did eat five small meals a day that gave me the best results. I mean stuff like a bowl of oatmeal 1 meal, almonds meal 2, piece of fish and steamed broccoli meal 3, a few carrots meal 4, a strawberry and banana smoothie with a splash of skim milk meal 5.

Of course I would change it up but the idea is to have these small power meals. This way I will not go hungry and it will keep my metabolism burning at a high rate. Add in the fact I will keep active with disc golf and it is a complete plan that will be easy and fun.
Yeah, those are just some observations. Like I said I haven't gone through anything like this and I'm far from a fitness professional. If you're doing well without it then that's awesome, but if you get stuck it might be worth considering. I don't do it all the time, either. What I will do is check periodically to see what my approximate calories in and calories out are just to be sure things are where I think they are. If I have a surplus when I think I have a deficit then I know something needs to be fixed. Then I stick with my routine and I don't have to worry about micromanaging it. There are free websites that are pretty easy to use so it's not actually that difficult.

I do several small meals, too. Again at my last job I'd watch people who were supposedly trying to lose weight grab candy as snacks when they got hungry. I just take along a Greek yogurt for a morning snack and an apple and a piece of low fat string cheese for an afternoon snack and I don't need the junk food. After I started doing that I found that I don't get that afternoon slump like I did before, either.

I forgot to say it before, but kudos on deciding to make a life change like this, especially with a little kid around. Sadly, I know too many people who need to be making changes like this but don't.

K, good points all around. I got the layers from old wrestler buddies so sounds right. Just trying to add in optional ways :) I agree with the speed rounds to start with.

I have thought for a long time that doctors worry more about managing the problem instead of fixing it.

Western medicine is fantastic if you've got an acute problem like a broken bone or malaria... but most doctors don't know squat about helping basically healthy people with performance related goals (gaining muscle, losing fat, athletic performance). If you want good nutrition info, look at how athletes and bodybuilders eat. Sadly, the last people in the entire world that healthy people should take nutrition advice from are doctors and dieticians. :\

If you'd like resources, feel free to PM me, but you and garublador have basically discovered on your own what athletes have known for a long time (and basically what was published as the aforementioned "Abs Diet") - eat often so you don't get too hungry and eat junk, eat lots of veggies so you don't get too hungry and eat junk, eat lots of lean protein to help your body recover.

What I will do is check periodically to see what my approximate calories in and calories out are just to be sure things are where I think they are. If I have a surplus when I think I have a deficit then I know something needs to be fixed. Then I stick with my routine and I don't have to worry about micromanaging it. There are free websites that are pretty easy to use so it's not actually that difficult.

I do several small meals, too. Again at my last job I'd watch people who were supposedly trying to lose weight grab candy as snacks when they got hungry. I just take along a Greek yogurt for a morning snack and an apple and a piece of low fat string cheese for an afternoon snack and I don't need the junk food. After I started doing that I found that I don't get that afternoon slump like I did before, either.

You have the right of it... no need to obsess with counting calories every day.

As an aside... Greek yogurt is fantastic. I could eat that stuff all day long. The nonfat or 2% is a great protein source. The full fat stuff is *amazing* but has a *lot* of calories - it's my goto snack when I'm gaining weight. Plus yogurt with live cultures is good for your gut flora (or are they fauna? IDK).

I forgot to say it before, but kudos on deciding to make a life change like this, especially with a little kid around. Sadly, I know too many people who need to be making changes like this but don't.

This. A thousand times this.

This is another one I could mix in with the speed rounds, but not until I have brought down my weight a bit now. I am 370ish and it get difficult to do much. I love disc golfing in general that is why I figured it is one of the prefect complements to weight loss for overly obese people such as myself.

I don't really agree with the 20% exercise 80% diet, as a blanket statement, it really all depends individually. The five small meals/day is a good plan, and breakfast is really important. The biggest diet fails are soda, sugary snacks, and bleached wheats/grains. Fruits and veggies are always good. I'd stay away from PX90 if you are injury prone.

Building muscle(strength training) is great for losing weight and it burns more fat while you are doing nothing. More muscle = burn more fat at rest. You don't have to go a gym or anything, just get some T.O. bands(Bodylastics) and it comes with all the training you need. Hardcore cardio, anything getting your heartrate over 150bpm is not the best way to lose weight, it doesn't burn as much fat at that heartrate range. It also often leads to burn out, injury, and overeating(sugar cravings). The best cardio for weight loss like brisk walking keeps your heartrate around 120bmp as that is the fat burning zone. Its good to mix it up some and get your heartrate up higher every once in while though.

There has been a lot of debate about lifting vs cardio for long term health benefits, and the consensus says that just lifting provides almost as good results, as just cardio. Most cardio programs are just too much for many overweight people, so weight lifting is an excellent alternative.

I think a proper mix of cardio and weight lifting will help reach maximum results, but for now I just want to take it very slow. I remember one time I went all out and ended up injuring myself for over a month with the one work out.

really fast metabolism + disc golf as often as possible = all the beer + junk food i can handle

That would be fine if I can get back to that point lol.

I'm w/ sidewinder as well but you bring up a good idea, generally. I would advise playing mostly with a light bag/few discs just to get started but if you hit a plateau switch it up and load up the tourney bag for a little resistance training. You have to keep your body guessing is the bottom line.

Be careful when you start discing a lot b/c you'll work some muscles that your body's not potentially used to, like forearms, knees, lower back, and your feet.

This is fantastic advise and much appreciated.

One of our buddies is 54 years old and got in to disc golf about a year ago. He's lost about 20-30 lbs because of it. sais he's in the best shape he's been in, in a while. Personally, the exercise keeps me right where I need to be. I'd much rather get my cardio out there on the course than running along a busy city street anyday.

Exercise is one great thing about it. Hope to get to your goal.

I know one day I will reach them as long as I stay focused and keep motivated with my end goals.

I would suggest reading a book called the abs diet. It is less a book on dieting as it is a book on making better eating decisions and to maximize weight loss. Hits on all the major good points, multiple meals, lean protiens, veggies, and a mix of full body weight training(three time a week) and cardio(brisk walking). I have started the P90X series twice now, once with the girl friend and and when she stopped I stopped, the second time a month in I lost the Videos(comp virus) and while this is a great program it is pretty intense mostly just on the time demands. At the time my comp crashed I was reading the abs diet book and it was much the program as P90x just less X. I even happened upon the abs diet work out video which has three levels and great for someone looking to get into a quick at home full body workout. Good luck.

I have read that book and feel it is one of the better ones out there. That was where I got the 5 meals a day plus the power foods.

eating healthy snacks on the course (assuming games are between meals) is a good idea as well. low in sugar, high in protein, balanced carbs. be careful of the energy drinks and thirst quenchers because they can have way to much sugar in them.

that's pretty much the 5 smalls meals a day bit everyone talks bout. that raises your metobolism.

Worked for me in high school. went from 230lbs to 160, 38" to 30" waist in about 1.5 years. of course i wasn't playing disc golf then, just joggin. i'm sure i would have ended up with the same result.

I tend to stay away from eating while disc golfing. I would much rather consume some fluids.

Disc Golf aint done jack for keepin the weight off. I owe all that to my tapeworm.

That sucks!

Yeah, those are just some observations. Like I said I haven't gone through anything like this and I'm far from a fitness professional. If you're doing well without it then that's awesome, but if you get stuck it might be worth considering. I don't do it all the time, either. What I will do is check periodically to see what my approximate calories in and calories out are just to be sure things are where I think they are. If I have a surplus when I think I have a deficit then I know something needs to be fixed. Then I stick with my routine and I don't have to worry about micromanaging it. There are free websites that are pretty easy to use so it's not actually that difficult.

Yeah I have been going though a lot lately and I had some time to reflect. One of the major changes is my health. I figured why not make getting into shape fun by adding disc golf to my agenda.

I have not gone in about a week or so, I have been sick. I am starting to feel a little better so, I will go out today.