• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weird injuries that mess up your game

Neophyte

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I did some work clearing the back of my property this week and managed to get a good dose of poison oak on my right wrist. Not to be too graphic but the poison oak made my wrist and right arm swell up quite a bit and I got blisters all over that area. I throw RH and this made my wrist very stiff. I was able to throw RHBH alright but not RHFH which is my preference if I have to drive for distance. Needless to say it was a long round.

Just wondering if others have had weird injuries that on the surface would not affect your game but they actually did.

I went on a DG road trip a couple weeks ago, and got a blister on my throwing hand on the finger, and in the spot where the disc slides over when I'm throwing. Anyone else ever have this hapen to them?

One time I shaved right before playing and must have gotten lots of tiny cuts on my face. So about halfway through the round as my sweat started to pick up my face just started burning from the salt and I couldn't concentrate at all. That part of my round was some of the worst golf I have ever played.

One of my contacts fell out at the beginning of a round and it messed with me a lot more than I thought it would. It was my right eye and I throw RHBH so I guess that is the eye I use more when I am about to release.

One of my contacts fell out at the beginning of a round and it messed with me a lot more than I thought it would. It was my right eye and I throw RHBH so I guess that is the eye I use more when I am about to release.

My guess is that it messed up your depth perception.

I was playing tug-of-war at the company picnic, and apparently strained a bicep. I was throwing the next day and it hurt like HELL. I had to rest it for another 2 days before I could play.

While my wife was out of town, I went to a course about 50 miles from home - Richlands-Steed Park. I really love this course, so I went for an all-day trip. It was great.
I was a little sore, but otherwise I felt fine. After a few days, my big toe on both feet started to turn a purplish color and get a little tender. I had been wearing Danner (high-quality) hiking/walking shoes but my big toes got blisters under the nail. Very strange.
It took about two weeks to heal and after several more months, they still haven't completely grown back.
I had to wear shoes that had a big toe box, but I still played after a few days of rest.

Went to the gym and worked uppers and then went to the course the next day with sore pecs / traps and just couldnt throw anything right. Now I try to spread them out a bit.

I was shooting an RHBH approach shot out of a pretty deep gully - had to radically hyzer the shot so it would skip up under the basket about 50 feet away. So I execute the shot but somehow in the process, some little muscle near my elbow just goes >>SKRONK<< and from that point on, for a couple of weeks, I couldn't move that arm at all!

So that's when I learned to shoot LHFH :)

i throw LHBH, and i tore my right shoulder rotator cuff. i didn't think it would bother me to much since i'm LHBH until i got out and tried to play a few holes.

i've not been able to play a real round for several weeks now.

Not really an injury, but I had a bug fly into my eye right as I was about to tee off. After taking about two minutes to get the sucker out and luckily a guy I was playing with had eyedrops (hrm...) it just threw off my throws from my eye being scratched and irritated. It went away pretty quickly due to the eyedrops but it was an unexpected messup to my game for 2-3 holes.

Around when I first started disc golf (2001) I was out on the course. Step up to the 2nd tee, get ready to rip it, and right when I'm in the middle of my pull agonizing pain goes through my right shoulder. Enough that I fall to the ground in pain. I cannot move my right arm as it dangles lifelessly. I reach up with my left hand to feel the shoulder and I can feel what seems like a big bone trying to poke out of the shoulder. It's apparently dislocated. I apply some pressure with my left hand and *POP* the shoulder goes back in, painfully. I play the rest of the round with a painful shoulder and don't throw more than 80 feet or so per drive, completely abandoning my approach and changing mostly to a RHFH shot.

About 3 months later I'm starting to feel better, throwing a bit harder again and getting back into the rhythm of things. Same hole, 2nd tee I step up and the same thing happens. This time the shoulder pops back in without me doing much of anything, just shaking my right arm a bit.

I quit playing disc golf at that point for a few years and still felt a bit sore in the shoulder at times for probably 5+ years. It's finally gotten back to full strength. Now that I've improved my technique to be more finesse and snap, less power, I've had no issues with the shoulder.

I was playing my first round of disc golf and I was playing with some discs my buddy let me use. Well of course I throw a disc over a creek. There was a 2x4 lying near the creek so we decided to use it to cross the creek. Well long story short I got the disc but in attemping to get back over the creek I fell off the 2x4 and pulled my buddy in with me. I got all scraped up from rocks and branches and was soaked from head to toe. To make matters worse I was covered in poison ivy for the next week. It took me a while to play again but now I am hooked!

I played a little table-tennis the other day (which I love) & it was wierd but the rotation of my overhead smash shot somehow tweaked my shoulder. The pain was so bad that I could'nt throw a disc later on. Well, I had to quit table-tennis right then & there. Get my priorities straight dont ya know!

I actually had the opposite happen. I strained a trapezious muscle (back of the shoulder) on a big honking annie shot. I took the next couple of days off and on the third day decided to do some putting practice. A couple of buddies saw me and talked me into playing. To protect the shoulder I kept my arm lower than normal (RHBH). I used understable drivers and did hyzer flips. It worked well and I can hyzer flip better than ever now!

Fractured my left foot playing too much too fast last summer, which sucked not playing about six weeks. Strained my abs a few months ago during a tourney and had to take 3 weeks off. Strained my neck trying to learn backhand about 8 months ago and missed a couple weeks.

Im currently struggling with another foot injury from overuse on the left foot this time. Hurts on the ball of my foot, I think its either tendonitis or arthritis.

The first tourney I played this winter the course was still a little icy and one guy broke his leg during warm-up.

Shin Splints!!

They seem to show themsleves more on the practice field. I think from rotating on grass (more resistance) than on the course (concrete pads, easier rotation). Plus throwing several shots back to back.

They seem to clear up over a day or two, but the trobbing pain that shoots up and down my leg is miserable. More than once I've bailed off the course half way through due to the limp and pain..

Latest posts