• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Crown putter

Ordered one to try. Think it might be a winner for me considering how well I like Westside putters.

After spending more time with this putter, and actually putting it and not simply throwing it, it reminds me more of a challenger but more shallow. I think Westside has a real winner on their hands here.

ugh... more putters to try.

lol. i think that most of my stash will end up being putters.

i wasn't a fan of the warden or judge. the envy is more of a mid for me, so.... this leaves this guy to try. cuz i dig a swan2.

VIP Crown?

Has anyone thrown the VIP Crown yet?

I noticed it on the custom disc order form from Dynamic. Only available to TD.

* also a moonshine xxx I'm interested in, but that's a different topic

Attachments

• VIP_Crown.PNG
    VIP_Crown.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 14
Since the thread was revived: I haven't thrown (nor seen) a VIP Crown, but I tried a BT Hard Crown at the same time I tried the BT Hard Shield. The Crown was not a bad disc, but there was noting really exceptional that it did that other discs I already use won't do. But it's fun to add to the stack to throw for fun on the range.

I got a BT medium. Really nice putter: not as stable as the Shield, but moreso than a Swan 2. Great for putting or approaches. I could see pairing it with either depending on wind.

Pretty dang similar

Gateway wizard and westside crown are extremely similar molds, the crown has a slightly flatter top but i have to put them side by side to notice. Flights are hard to tell apart as well. Wizards are arguably the best putters ever made and its hard for me to tell a difference between them and a crown, but bc of more consistent plastic runs (and the cool stamp) I'm sticking to my crowns

I was hoping for something between the Shield and Swan - but the crown is clearly closer to the Shield than I expected. It is definitely a good throwing putter, fairly neutral slightly overstable. I did not compare it to the Wizard, but I guess the comparison is correct since I disliked the feel of both in my hands...

It did fly very similar to a Macana or Mercy for me.

I am currently enjoying the crown

I have BT Softs for in the circle putts. Still adjusting to it but I love the hand feel, the flight is very predictable for my putting style.

I also have a VIP that I am using for drives and approaches.

Overall nice putters.

I have Harps for windy days (BT Soft & VIP). But I find myself using the Crowns more than the Harps.

I love the Crown for hyzer-putts - nail some long ones with it.

Mild necro bump. Who is using the Crown? And why are you liking it (if you bag it)?

I putted with Crowns for almost all of 2018 and might end up doing it again for 2019. I drive and approach with Envies, and this winter I've been trying to learn to putt with them as well. If the Envy putting experiment doesn't work out then I will absolutely putt with Crowns again.

What I like: Crowns feel *perfect* in the hand to me. About a year ago I felt up a ton of putter molds at the local shop and bought probably 5-6 molds to experiment with. Crowns were hands down the most comfortable to putt with. That little concave ridge between the shoulder and bead is just the perfect shape to really get the index finger in the right grip position, at least for me and my hands. Some putters come close in grip feel, but none are better IMO. Also, BT Medium is one of my favorite putter plastics, and BT Soft is great in the winter. So perfect mold shape + great plastics = great feel. I also tend to put some decent snap on my putts so the Crown's stability is good for me. Lastly, I found that I very rarely missed long by more than 10'-15', so I rarely had long come-backers to deal with when putting Crowns.

What I didn't like: My typical missed putt is low, and typically due to putting a tad nose down. The Crown seems to accentuate a nose down putt...so I found my missed putts were even shorter with a Crown than with other putters. Not sure why, but after thousands of putts I can say with certainty that I miss short/low with the Crown more than with other putters.

Ultimately, the Crown is basically a slightly faster Judge that is also a tad more comfortable in the hand for me.

Still bagging Crowns here, for putting.

Perfect feel in the hand for me. Very comfortable.

Right speed and flight, very good accuracy for me.

Plus I love the plastic; BT mediums & softs depending on the weather.

After trying probably 10-15 molds over the last 20 years, I think I am done searching. I have found what I am looking for.

for someone who is not familiar with Westside putter. . whats the difference between CROWN, SHIELD and MAIDEN?

Crown has a bead, I tried the Shield, in shape it is similar, but if I remember right, the Shield does not have a bead, I need the bead.

Maiden is shallower and imo faster. I tried the maiden, it was too shallow for me.

I circled around the Crown a bit before trying it. I tried several discs that were similar, but were not exactly right; Wizard, Steady, Judge.

To me it feels more similar to a Steady, but flies more similar to a Judge.

YMMV

I still pair the Crown with the Swan. Crowns handle headwinds and longer putts better for me.

Shield has a microbead, it gets worn off pretty quickly though.

How glidey are Crowns in comparison? I putt with mercys, and have for probably 2-3 years, but they're very glidey and get shoved around a lot by wind, and fall very early in tailwinds. I tried some shields because they're a very similar feel, but it's too far in the other direction, all my putts are short. I was eyeing trying a couple crowns but wasn't sure if it was a good investment.

I have never tried a Mercy to be honest. I don't have much time with Shields. Only owned one.

For putting the Crown is less floaty than a Shield IMO.

I didn't connect well with the Shield at all, I let a lot slip way past the basket.

I do agree with aphilso1 above. If I miss with a Crown, it is almost always short, a basket or pole hit and with the softs very little roll away.

Latest posts