• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Destiny

Eh...training how? We dont even know the data it will provide. Might be insightful but doubt you will be able to magically improve bc of seeing x or y values of a throw quantified. Id prefer course use application not wide open field testing. We play disc golf.

Training may have been the wrong word and yes I am just speculating on what data this tech could provide. But these are not crazy parameters we are trying to measure. Say if you know your baseline, you could try little things to make tweaks to say the spin or initial velocity. I want more spin so I cock my wrist more. If it shows improvement, try to duplicate, if not, move on. That kind of stuff. I am not talking about anything drastic. If I throw 400, I shouldn't expect 500 just from a few tweaks. But the ability to see the data for the throws you are making means you can attempt to change that data in a specific way. And there is proof in ball golf that the ability to measure and see that data immediately can lead to big improvement over time b/c you can see you are going in the right direction as opposed to just guessing based on where the ball ended up, or in our case disc.

Cost guess? I'll say 99 USD.
That might not be unreasonable early on.

Last edited:
My biggest concern is with the apparent speed of the disc. It looks like a warp speed driver from the picture, or at least on the faster end. I would prefer to start with a midrange for analysis.

My biggest concern is with the apparent speed of the disc. It looks like a warp speed driver from the picture, or at least on the faster end. I would prefer to start with a midrange for analysis.

Agreed. Maybe they are leaving that to the other brands?

I feel like they might price themselves out of the market at that rate. I expect somewhere in the neighborhood of $30-50.

I think that would be in the range of what I'd be willing to pay for such a tool. It's interesting data that I'd love to see, but as has been stated, it's not going to have any really big or immediate improvements, especially not if you've been playing and working on form long enough to already have decent form.

If they priced it at $30, it would be an instant purchase for me. If they priced it at $60, then I'd think about it and maybe buy it eventually. If they price it at $100+, it might be on the Christmas or birthday list, but I'm probably not going to buy it myself.

zendragon said:

While I think midrange data would be interesting, I think this sort of data is mostly useful for improving your overall distance, so a distance driver of some sort makes the most sense to me. However, didn't the article mention that Westside has 2 molds in the works for this? Also, Lat and Dynamic have licensed it. So I think we could easily see a whole range of speeds with this tech.

Honestly, I think pricing is mostly going to reflect how much they think the market will bear and how quickly they want to recoup their development costs. The price of chips like this in bulk is quite cheap (after the initial design is complete at least), so it should add very little material cost to manufacture the disc itself with the chip.

While I think midrange data would be interesting, I think this sort of data is mostly useful for improving your overall distance, so a distance driver of some sort makes the most sense to me. However, didn't the article mention that Westside has 2 molds in the works for this? Also, Lat and Dynamic have licensed it. So I think we could easily see a whole range of speeds with this tech.

Someone posted a photo on Reddit of the two discs, and they were both Speed 14. But obviously if they can get it in a disc, they can get it in a disc. It'll be interesting to see where they decide to go. A speed 7-9 neutral disc for slower arm speeds who want to improve would be promising.

I don't know...
I think there is a bit of balancing necessary to ensure that weight of the chip (lighter) would not foul the flight of the disc where plastic (heavier) was continuous

I don't know...
I think there is a bit of balancing necessary to ensure that weight of the chip (lighter) would not foul the flight of the disc where plastic (heavier) was continuous

I'm assuming they will embed the chip in the bottom of the flight plate right in the middle of the disc so as to keep everything symmetrical. That might create some small difference in weight distribution, but I'm guessing the rim of the disc is still going to be far denser and heavier than the flight plate. They could adjust the thickness of the flight plate to account for any differences in gyroscopic properties and adjust the wing height and shape in order to get the stability they are after. I'm guessing if they've been working on this since 2014 that they've figured out how to create the tool they are after. After all, this is meant for field measurements of your throws, not to be a go-to driver on the course.

I'm sure the weight will affect it more on a mid, but that could bring some interesting designs too. Think about the wing design of a Zone, very stable and good in the wind, but getting up to speed would be easier with central weight.

And yeah, I can see the work in a driver, but there are a whole lot of us that can't break 400' that would like this too. Put it in a Stag, or Escape for us and I'll be happy.

I'm sure the weight will affect it more on a mid, but that could bring some interesting designs too. Think about the wing design of a Zone, very stable and good in the wind, but getting up to speed would be easier with central weight.

And yeah, I can see the work in a driver, but there are a whole lot of us that can't break 400' that would like this too. Put it in a Stag, or Escape for us and I'll be happy.

Oh yeah I have nothing against putting something like this in a 9/10 speed driver. I was more referring to the fact that most people are probably going to use this technology for field practice to try and improve overall distance with whatever the max speed driver they throw is. If a 9 speed driver is the disc you are using for distance drives, then you probably want this in a 9 speed disc so that your practice data more closely mimics your real drives.

I suppose that if this device can also collect data about OAT, then having it in mid/putter type discs could be useful. Unfortunately, if you can't get it in the EXACT mid/putter you use, then it's not going to be that useful for judging how clean your throws are since the way the rim is shaped and the depth of those discs affect the release much more than with drivers.

I will just cut the sensor out and tape it to my MVP discs and map them all!!

Last edited:
I will just cut the sensor out and tape it to my MVP discs and map them all!!
If I remember correctly, Tobu was originally planning to make only the electronics modules that people could then attach to their favorite discs. During the testing however, they noticed that a device that big affected the flight too much and ended up with a dedicated mold for their products. That seems to be the case also here with Westside.

Of course, if you use your own modified discs also only on the field, this slight change wont maybe matter.

After all, this is meant for field measurements of your throws, not to be a go-to driver on the course.

I get that, HOWEVER -

If the disc is not at least in the same neighborhood speed/flight wise as a regularly used disc then the data is not that useful.

I get that, HOWEVER -

If the disc is not at least in the same neighborhood speed/flight wise as a regularly used disc then the data is not that useful.

Yep, true enough. I think most regular disc golfers (casual and otherwise) use some flavor of high speed driver (11+ speed) for distance shots. I think it's generally just some outspoken people on these forums that max out at 9/10 speed. Obviously, there are exceptions out there, but still, I think Westside is starting out trying to hit the biggest audience with this, and the biggest audience does use "warp speed drivers" for distance shots (even if we could argue that they often shouldn't). I wouldn't be too worried though; if the tech ends up being any good, I'm sure it will end up in slower speed discs as well.

Anyone thrown a Destiny yet? How are they flying? Comparisons to a King, Freedom, or Bolt would be most appreciated.

Ordered one today and am waiting on delivery.

Latest posts