• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Destiny

When you say its the longest disc, longer than your Tern, what are your flat ground golf distances? When you say sidewind, you mean left to right?

Wow sorry for taking half a year to read your post..

My longest throw (TP Destiny) was over 500feet on a hyzerflip. The disc ended up a bit right from where I tee'd off though (aka never had a chance to completely fade back from its turn).

On average I can throw a Destiny 400 feet more or less controlled. It's been so long now since I threw a Tern that I can't really say for sure what my distance would be, but it was probably up to 400.

In headwind on a good pull my TP Destiny will turn and burn. In sidewind it wont come out of its turn (both left and right wind I think).

I bought a vip 175g Destiny awhile back after reading all the hype. It actually weighed 177g. It was a bit of a meat hook at first. Then it broke in and I was able to throw it. Interesting how it looks identical to my relatives katana placed side by side on a table. I like how you can throw it low to the ground and long hyzers. Goes as far my Beast. I hope to gain a little more distance with practice for the hyzer shots.

Destiny is an interesting disc. Was the first disc I could consistently break 300' with, but as I added power it became a disc that required significant hyzer angle to fly well. Eventually I replaced it with a King and demoted the Destiny to my travel bag, and promptly lost it on a trip to KC. The Destiny, and discs like it, are useful as new and/or lower power throwers get used to wide-rimmed drivers. Personally my progression went:

1. Destiny as max distance driver
2. Destiny as hyzerflip disc or long turnover disc
3. King (slightly more stable than Destiny) as hyzerflip disc or long turnover disc
4. Vanish (slower than King and maybe a touch more stable) as hyzerflip disc or long turnover disc
5. Currently considering no longer bagging a super flippy distance driver

I'm not one of those people that says you need to throw mids 300' before you can find high speed stuff useful. A disc like the Destiny certainly added distance for me back when I could only throw mids 200'-225'. But it is also a disc that I think will only be useful for a relatively short period of time for players that are steadily improving. I'm now at a point where I realize a disc that flies super far and finishes hard right hurts my scorecard more often than it helps.

I bought a vip 175g Destiny awhile back after reading all the hype. It actually weighed 177g. It was a bit of a meat hook at first. Then it broke in and I was able to throw it. Interesting how it looks identical to my relatives katana placed side by side on a table. I like how you can throw it low to the ground and long hyzers. Goes as far my Beast. I hope to gain a little more distance with practice for the hyzer shots.

The Destiny may be a bit much for you yet if its only going as far as your Beast. As far as the Katana comparison, I find the Destiny to be a little flippier than a Katana. It also doesn't have as much late fade. The Katana also has a wider, shallower rim than the Destiny.

Once you start going above 400' the Destiny gets wildly flippy. You have to put a lot of hyzer on it to keep it in the air. Its an extraordinarily long disc. I've had some of my absolute longest rips with a Destiny.

I don't bag one. Its too wild and flippy for me. I will occasionally take a Destiny to the field to practice hyzerflips with. For on-course understable driving I use a Shryke instead. Little more consistent than the Destiny and every bit as long.

Destiny is an interesting disc. Was the first disc I could consistently break 300' with, but as I added power it became a disc that required significant hyzer angle to fly well. Eventually I replaced it with a King and demoted the Destiny to my travel bag, and promptly lost it on a trip to KC. The Destiny, and discs like it, are useful as new and/or lower power throwers get used to wide-rimmed drivers. Personally my progression went:

1. Destiny as max distance driver
2. Destiny as hyzerflip disc or long turnover disc
3. King (slightly more stable than Destiny) as hyzerflip disc or long turnover disc
4. Vanish (slower than King and maybe a touch more stable) as hyzerflip disc or long turnover disc
5. Currently considering no longer bagging a super flippy distance driver

I'm not one of those people that says you need to throw mids 300' before you can find high speed stuff useful. A disc like the Destiny certainly added distance for me back when I could only throw mids 200'-225'. But it is also a disc that I think will only be useful for a relatively short period of time for players that are steadily improving. I'm now at a point where I realize a disc that flies super far and finishes hard right hurts my scorecard more often than it helps.

I agree with almost all of this. I feel like the Destiny is a good disc for guys who throw 325'ish and are looking to start getting 350-375'. It will maximize low arm speeds and go a long, long way without a ton of effort. However, once you start nearing 400' the Destiny becomes a huge liability and is very hard to keep from flipping. You'll need a LOT of hyzer angle to keep it flat.

That said, I found the King every bit as flippy/maddening as the Destiny. For me those 2 discs do exactly the same thing. Flippy, glidey bombers. Honestly, I never gelled with any of Westside's drivers. The Giant is pretty good, but inconsistent. The World is HORRIBLY inconsistent (some are flippy, some are beefy).

I agree about the Vanish. Very underrated disc. Its obviously slower than a Destiny, but I found it nearly as long. More stable too. Less prone to flipping.

I throw Kings and there are certainly flippy uncontrollable Kings out there, but there also exist ones that while they have some turn they also can fade as well. I seek those out and have about 4 around the house at the moment.

Having said that I also picked up a Sheriff that was very cheap recentlyas a water disc and it's very impressive.

The Destiny for me was good, but it didn't do anything I couldnt do with the King. So no go for me.

I throw Kings and there are certainly flippy uncontrollable Kings out there, but there also exist ones that while they have some turn they also can fade as well. I seek those out and have about 4 around the house at the moment.

Having said that I also picked up a Sheriff that was very cheap recentlyas a water disc and it's very impressive.

The Destiny for me was good, but it didn't do anything I couldnt do with the King. So no go for me.

I like the Sheriff more than either the King or Destiny. The Sheriff has some high speed turn, but isn't ridiculously flippy. It will come back and fade late in flight.

I HAVE thrown a couple lousy Sheriffs though. They bomb right and never even think about coming back.

This is true. Those Kings are a good bit more stable than Destinys but I think generally the Destiny is just a tick more stable than the many flippy Kings. I mean marginally more.

I'm used to the King for my big uphill distance/massive tailwind/runaway turnover/roller shots but I could easily put a Destiny in for that slot.

The Destiny is a good disc, but I took it out of my bag for two reasons:
1) the rim was just uncomfortably wide.
2) it was beyond my point of diminishing returns: I really wasn't getting it any farther than my Terns.

I just had my longest throw with the Destiny! A whopping 350 feet at the softball field. Now if I could just do that on the actual hole without hitting trees.:)

The Destiny may be a bit much for you yet if its only going as far as your Beast. As far as the Katana comparison, I find the Destiny to be a little flippier than a Katana. It also doesn't have as much late fade. The Katana also has a wider, shallower rim than the Destiny.

Once you start going above 400' the Destiny gets wildly flippy. You have to put a lot of hyzer on it to keep it in the air. Its an extraordinarily long disc. I've had some of my absolute longest rips with a Destiny.

I don't bag one. Its too wild and flippy for me. I will occasionally take a Destiny to the field to practice hyzerflips with. For on-course understable driving I use a Shryke instead. Little more consistent than the Destiny and every bit as long.

It's cool to read this, even though you posted it before I started playing. Exactly my experience. I was just thinking about this disc because it seems unreal to me that Westside is not prioritizing them.

Certain discs are just very efficient, and if your speed is 'just so' and you can get it out on the right angle, this one goes exceptionally far. I'll always have a place for it as one of those special discs--460' is about as far as I've ever thrown (on normal lines), thank you Destiny.

Corvette has recently taken the place of special sauce distance driver (I still reach for G* Shryke if there's no HW and max distance is the score factor, just too many reps). These newer Corvettes (thanks btw) seem to offer same distance with less omfg.

It's cool to read this, even though you posted it before I started playing. Exactly my experience. I was just thinking about this disc because it seems unreal to me that Westside is not prioritizing them.

Certain discs are just very efficient, and if your speed is 'just so' and you can get it out on the right angle, this one goes exceptionally far. I'll always have a place for it as one of those special discs--460' is about as far as I've ever thrown (on normal lines), thank you Destiny.

Corvette has recently taken the place of special sauce distance driver (I still reach for G* Shryke if there's no HW and max distance is the score factor, just too many reps). These newer Corvettes (thanks btw) seem to offer same distance with less omfg.

I haven't thrown a Destiny in months. My thoughts on them haven't really changed. Very long, glidey, and flippier than I prefer.

I agree with your thoughts on the Corvette being a better understable driver than the Destiny. Corvettes can be thrown much harder with a lot less risk of flipping.

I can get better distance consistently with G* Corvettes than I can with a Destiny.

Noticed that the local had restocked this mold. I think I'd end up turning them over and I'm happy with the Corvette for bomber game...but.

Well.

You always remember your first time.

Destiny was my first time with legit distance.

edit: I'm sorta curious to see how this (and also a Pharaoh) might fly since my mph is prolly a few mph higher.

Noticed that the local had restocked this mold. I think I'd end up turning them over and I'm happy with the Corvette for bomber game...but.

Well.

edit: I'm sorta curious to see how this (and also a Pharaoh) might fly since my mph is prolly a few mph higher.

That disc for me is the latitude bolt in frost plastic beat to crap. :hfive: The same throw that I used to throw now, sends it turning immediately. Still love the disc, but I think it's more sentimental than useful now.

Well.

Pharaoh is much more like a Corvette or Shryke than a Destiny. Pharaoh is less flippy than a Destiny.

If you want to throw some big hyzer bombs, try the Destiny. Just don't ever use it on a hole where accuracy is a must. They also do poorly in most wind conditions. You need a calm day and a very consistent release to get max performance (over 400') out of a Destiny. I'd put the Captain in the same boat.

I tried the Destiny and found it really finicky. Hit it right and it bombs but get it just a little off and it would either get squirrelly understable or fly like a beefy Detroyer.

Since the Bolt was mentioned earlier, it was one of the first discs that I could really get big distance with and I'll occasionally slip one in my bag for certain courses or just for fun. I consider myself a a 300' thrower. A couple of weeks ago I was playing Pioneer Park in Sterling, CO. Hole 5 is a fairly wide open 500' hole and there was a moderate tailwind. Seemed like the perfect situation for the Bolt since I happened to have it with me. Hit it on a hyzer and it flipped up even in the tail wind and just carried. I had about a forty foot putt (which I doinked off the front of the cage) so that drive went roughly 460'. Not too shabby for a guy who typically throws 300 ish. The Bolt is a bomber but I don't typically bag it as the situations where it is a good choice are rare on an actual course.

I tried the Destiny and found it really finicky. Hit it right and it bombs but get it just a little off and it would either get squirrelly understable or fly like a beefy Detroyer.
This is why I don't carry one. But if I were ever simply trying to get the longest throw ever in some strange contest, I'd probably use it.

Since the Bolt was mentioned earlier, it was one of the first discs that I could really get big distance with and I'll occasionally slip one in my bag for certain courses or just for fun. I consider myself a a 300' thrower. A couple of weeks ago I was playing Pioneer Park in Sterling, CO. Hole 5 is a fairly wide open 500' hole and there was a moderate tailwind. Seemed like the perfect situation for the Bolt since I happened to have it with me. Hit it on a hyzer and it flipped up even in the tail wind and just carried. I had about a forty foot putt (which I doinked off the front of the cage) so that drive went roughly 460'. Not too shabby for a guy who typically throws 300 ish. The Bolt is a bomber but I don't typically bag it as the situations where it is a good choice are rare on an actual course.

I've had a little better luck with the Bolt than the Destiny. I think the Bolt seems slightly faster than the Destiny, and isn't QUITE as prone to complete flipping.

For me, the Nuke SS has always been that disc I could never throw properly. 1 460' bomb followed by 10 horrible throws. That thing is almost impossible to get the right line on. Throw it too hard and it (obviously) flips. Throw it a bit too softly and it won't turn at all.

I've had a little better luck with the Bolt than the Destiny. I think the Bolt seems slightly faster than the Destiny, and isn't QUITE as prone to complete flipping.

For me, the Nuke SS has always been that disc I could never throw properly. 1 460' bomb followed by 10 horrible throws. That thing is almost impossible to get the right line on. Throw it too hard and it (obviously) flips. Throw it a bit too softly and it won't turn at all.
Interesting. I consider the Bolt to be the disc for people who aren't quite ready for the stability of a Destiny. A spike hyzer bolt with height rolls over uncontrollably for me, whereas a Destiny slowly makes its way over to a roller.

Latest posts